LG G2, Samsung Galaxy S4 or HTC One: which one would you pick?
0. phoneArena 07 Aug 2013, 12:20 posted on
The LG G2 is out and it is a fascinating device. The first to feature the new Snapdragon 800 chip, it is different by design with its buttons on its back and a minimum screen bezel…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3135; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Yeah right, like i will ignore the newest with better specs and better features for the old ones.
Not saying they're not good...but right now, LG G2 has the upper hand.
4. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
The hardware and the packaging look good, but I'm wary of the Optimus interface. I wish LG didn't feel a need to mimic the look and feel of TouchWiz. I'd rather something more like stock, which leaves me in the Motorola camp.
8. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9680; Member since: 14 May 2012)
This. If it were stock Android, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. Then again you can always flash AOKP ROM. Idk. Tough decision.
21. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5669; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
there will probably be a Google Play edition of this.
23. TheLolGuy (Posts: 483; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
If the rumors are true about LG partnering with Google again for a Nexus 4/5, then a Google Play edition of this would be moot.
32. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5669; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
not necessarily. i doubt the new Nexus will be quite this high-end for it to be sold so inexpensively.
57. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
When the Nexus 4 came out it had better specs everything else, all it was missing was a 32gb of storage and LTE.
People don't understand Google Subsidizes it to people in the US, outside of the US or direct from carrier the nexus 5 will be $600+ when it launches.
64. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5669; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
the only things that made it special were the S4 Pro it's equipped with paired with 2GB of RAM and that only stayed relevant for a little over a quarter, nothing else about it was "bleeding edge".
don't get me wrong it was and still is a great value proposition just don't go thinking that the Nexus devices are going to come out with best of the best specs because it hasn't yet.
68. mixedguy (Posts: 2; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
I don't see why not.. The Nexus 4 was based off the original Optimus G and both are pretty much identical in hardware.
The only differences between the two is the Optimus G has LTE enabled and a 13mp camera is available in certain markets for the G while the Nexus 4 only has a 8mp camera for all markets..
If the Nexus 5 is based off the G2 I'm betting they will be nearly identical as well..
71. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5669; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
okay, if you want to believe there will be a S800 powered, 5.2" Display, 3000mAh battery packing Nexus coming in the next few months then whatever man.
86. mixedguy (Posts: 2; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
I'm just saying IF it's based off the G2 then it will most likely have similar specs but no one knows who will be making the next Nexus for now.. I also don't know why it's so unbelievable for the Nexus 5 to have a S800 and 5.2" display.
The original Optimus G was released in Korea in September 2012 and was the first phone to use the S4 Pro CPU and the Nexus 4 was released just a month later in USA with the same S4 CPU and others specs that are pretty much identical to the original G so it's not uncommon for a Nexus phone to have brand new SOC.
Also 5"+ 1080p displays on phones are starting to become common now just like 4.7" to 4.8" 720p displays on phones were becoming common a year ago so it's not like it would be mind blowing to see a Nexus phone with a 5.2" display.. Just saying...
29. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9680; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Probably, but I love Super AMOLED. I don't think I can go back to LCD.
33. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5669; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i thought the same thing until i got the Droid DNA.
they have their trade-offs.
45. Commentator (Posts: 2706; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
It's weird how people are conditioned into liking one type or another. I'm the exact opposite, AMOLED screens actually hurt my eyes after owning an Evo 4G LTE for a year, when I previously loved AMOLED screens.
59. kalloud (Posts: 142; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
The nexus 5 will probably be based on the G2
61. saffant (Posts: 239; Member since: 04 Jul 2011)
I'm willing to bet money that that idea will never come to fruition—and for good reason.
PS: PA's comment system sucks. I have to "subscribe" to every thread I want to comment on that I want to follow? Come on...
66. xtroid2k (Posts: 502; Member since: 11 Jan 2010)
The reason they have u suscribe is so they can track u. It use to be a free for all. It use to be no reason to suscribe
81. Mittal (Posts: 490; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
i like the LG logo on the bottom
gives the device a unique appeal
26. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3135; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Whether they copied it or not...i'd still prefer it over the S4. And i don't think they call it the Optimus UI anymore, do they?
Question: Would you have chosen it, if it came with the previous Optimus UI?
But hey, the Google Play edition might pop up anytime.
50. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Whether they call it Optimus UI or not, that's what it looks like. Not much different visually from the Optimus G, for better or worse.
I was hoping that after their Nexus 4 experience they would come up with something more distinctive, but it appears the only stock influence is on-screen buttons.
Google Play editions are moot for Verizon users like me, and I don't root/rom. Ship it nigh-stock or I'm out.
28. Klamba92 (Posts: 208; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
Yh it would have been good if they went similar to stock, or more unique like sense 5. Then they will truly step out of Samsung's shadow and be their own brand! That said they have differentiated with the interesting button placement.
67. sniperdroid (Posts: 143; Member since: 23 May 2013)
Wonder what the iPhone 6, Galaxy S5, HTC, Motorola are going to bring to the table because the way things are going unless you have a super new cool innovation, you're going to be left behind.
10. Sauce (unregistered)
They did. You've got other favorites.
16. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 881; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Why would they include a mid range phone? You can always pick the other favorites option though.
46. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 281; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
Right on. Moto X is sexy. Screw the crazy processor or high screen res. All that is unnecessary. I want a phone that feels good and looks good and the Moto X is stunning.
3. softfurryanus (banned) (Posts: 232; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
If somebody offered me one of theses for free obviously the G2, but no way in hell am I buying a non nexus device until KLP is released.
5. zachattack (Posts: 618; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
Because the S4 is even in te competition of phones I'd throw 200$ at. Well done LG! Can't wait for you to hit Verizon Christmas time. Right when I get all dem phat paychecks mmmmm
6. dancorcal (Posts: 39; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
Exactly... right now this is the most powerful smartphone... period. When the Note 3 comes out, that could change, but then again the Note 3 is not really a phone. So to stay in the real phone category, LG has it right now. It will be matched/beat eventually, but right now it is has the goods.
7. TheLolGuy (Posts: 483; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
The G2 for me and not just because of it's specs. The neutral positioning for left and right handed people is appreciated and the design choice is interesting too.
I do wish the front was clean of any logos, or if it has to be there, put just the LG smiley face or LG, not both for a clean uniform look. I liked the calling speaker design on the Optimus G/Nexus 4 better too. The new grill stands out in a bad way imo. Otherwise, I'm all over this design!
I wish the Optimus UI was a bit lighter, too. It feels pretty cluttered at times.
11. jamesedward318 (Posts: 99; Member since: 25 Dec 2010)
LG has never been a fav of mine when it has come to smartphones. Sticking with the S4
12. -Shadow- (Posts: 31; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
is funny how g2 has the same design s4 but now people like it
17. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3135; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Blame it on the design history.
Apart from the front...nothing looks like S4.
24. MCrapp (Posts: 313; Member since: 07 Apr 2013)
Please check video hands on! They use Plastic(very similar to that from S4 but looks even more cheap)
31. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3135; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Come on man, even the choice of using glossy plastic is copying now?? I don't like glossy plastic G2 uses as much as Samsung does, but to say it looks like S4 just because of the glossy plastic is invalid.
25. asingha94 (Posts: 294; Member since: 08 Apr 2012)
I dont think Samsung has a unique design to copy.Samsung has same boring design from low end to high end phones.Design means sony ,htc,nokia.Anyway who cares! G2's hardware is beast & obviously it's design is unique from s4.So people is liking it
77. maccess (Posts: 666; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
because people think sammy is the new apple... the more you famous the more you get hated..
13. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1747; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
LG G2 has 3000mAh and IPS display... that's a winner for me :D
14. Sauce (unregistered)
Come time where a new beast phone comes out, it hurts to be reminded that technology, especially in the phone industry, moves so damn fast =( Then again, I can't wait for what the future has to bring. Especially knowing that I won't be 80, or even 30, years old when something else comes out.
15. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 881; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
I'd still pick my GS4 Octa :)
If the LG G2 begins getting S4 type update support then I'll say G2.
LG are on one hell of a roll though, the G2 is a BEAST!
73. blingblingthing (Posts: 490; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
Although I'd get the LG offering, I love the fact you have listen some good reasons.
For me, it's all about the SD 800.
Bigger LCD screen.
18. asingha94 (Posts: 294; Member since: 08 Apr 2012)
I don't care who copies who.The thing is this is a monster with a high resolution full hd display & beautiful unique look.Obviously it's a pick for me.I love optimus ui in my optimus 4x.Now waiting for it to launch in India..!!
19. darkvadervip (Posts: 358; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
Did that guy say LG is mimicking touchwiz when in fact touchwiz is mimicking HTC Sense. Do your homework please before you post roldefol.
89. pkiran1996 (Posts: 165; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
TouchWiz mimicking Sense? Are you blind? Sense is NOTHING like TouchWiz. Especially with BlinkFeed.
22. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5669; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
the G2 is a nice phone but i'd personally go for the Moto X with the One series and the Droid series following shortly behind. i can't wait to see the One Max. o:
27. .KRATOS. (Posts: 158; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
Its awkward that no one is complaining bout the plastic material of the G2 whereas they didn't stop on complaning about the plastic n cheap feeling of the S4.
30. Samsungadroidrules (Posts: 104; Member since: 28 Jul 2013)
hahaha. Copy cut LG. This LG phone seems to explode. haha still GS4 rules! :0
58. youdug (Posts: 27; Member since: 19 Jul 2013)
explode like them gs4's have been?
34. torr310 (Posts: 533; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
LG has relatively lower resale value, that's why I didn't pick it.
35. proto (Posts: 59; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
sorry LG... i have S4 and G2 didn't impressed me much... rear buttons.. very bad idea..software? well...
and i will not sh1t bricks for better processor.... so overally kings of android are still S4 and HTC One( i am sorry moto x...your camera ruined it all). My hopes are towards Note 3 and new nexus.
36. greathero1 (Posts: 529; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)
I can't really say until I have the device in my hands. I have the HTC One and it's a nice package. Would have went with the S4 but I couldn't live with that awful pattern in the plastic. I definitely don't mind the plastic but the pattern was horrindous in my opinion. Im definitely going to check it out but I'm also looking at the Xperia and One phablets as well. It's looking like it's going to be a great 3rd and 4th quarter for Android devices! Can't wait!
39. nobihitoshi (banned) (Posts: 9; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
i think sony xperia z ultra was the first device to feature snapdragon 800
43. Commentator (Posts: 2706; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
You're right. I thought something sounded fishy when that Qualcomm rep claimed that the G2 was the first Snapdragon 800 phone...
...although maybe he doesn't consider the Ultra a phone as much as a tablet...
40. dflash (Posts: 12; Member since: 10 Apr 2013)
I GOT THE SONY XPERIA Z AND FOR MY USE IS WAY BETTER THAN THE OTHERS THE NEW G2 AMUSES ME BUT I'LL WAIT ANOTHER 1 MONTH FOR THE NEXT BIG THING THE SONY XPERIA HONAMI