LG G2 Review Q&A: What do you want to know about LG's new Android flagship?
So, we've already posted our LG G2 review, and we've given the handset an incredibly high score of 9.4. In other words, we've made it obvious that the G2 is a very fine piece of machinery, but hey, as exhaustive as our review is, we're sure that you want to know even more about it. Maybe there's been some intriguing (or not so intriguing) detail that we haven't mentioned in the review? Or there's something really specific that you want to know about?
Whatever it is - now's the perfect time to ask about it! Feel free to use the comments section below to post your questions about the LG G2, and we'll make sure to answer them really soon with a follow-up post! So, what is it that you want to know about the LG G2?
UPDATE: We've now published the answers. You can check them out right here!
1. khurram87 (Posts: 13; Member since: 01 Sep 2011)
Don't the back buttons get affected adversely when the phone is kept lying...on a table perhaps? Or is there any sort of imbalance when kept on a surface?
2. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1286; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
How does the number of internal membranes affect the user experience?
29. Resqflyr (Posts: 18; Member since: 12 Apr 2013)
Ihave the LG G2 and the speakers are not the greatest. Not terrible but not even close to the HTC One
54. Shangri-La (Posts: 49; Member since: 04 Oct 2011)
In terms of sound quality or loudness? Thanks.
57. someones4 (Posts: 619; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
Yes, can you hear them in a noisy environment. is call quality good?
Anything particularly annoying?
4. MalakiMills (Posts: 256; Member since: 15 Jun 2010)
From a spec standpoint, this thing is a power house. Among the best out there. What would be the one thing, in your opinion, that would hold it back against the competition?
6. HalaMadrid (Posts: 92; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
I want to know about display, user interface,price and release date in Madrid
7. roldefol (Posts: 2860; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
How intrusive is the custom UI?
Do the narrow bezels affect useability or cause accidental presses?
How is the overall call quality? (PA's review says it's mediocre, but head to head comparisons have no complaints.)
31. Resqflyr (Posts: 18; Member since: 12 Apr 2013)
UI is very deep BUT, my GS4 seems to be more "In Your Face".
I have not experienced any unwanted presses.
Call quality is very good, equal if not better than my GS4.
Overall, I am begining to prefer the LG over my GS4. Just wish it had an SD Slot.
67. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5744; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
"Call quality is very good, equal if not better than my GS4."
First off, thank you for posting your experiences with the G2.
Regarding call quality, how does the G2 hold up in noisy environments (bars come to mind)? Is the sound natural (meaning it sounds like the caller normally sounds when you are speaking to them on a land line or in person)? As someone else posted, the G2 is the one phone I am thinking of purchasing this year. The PA review wasn't enthusiastic about call sound quality, and one of the things I use a smartphone for is phone calls, so call quality is something that is important to me.
8. theruleslawyer (Posts: 108; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
Does the screen wake up all the time in your pocket? The double tap to wake plus the button on the back seem like they would accidently wake the phone a lot.
9. Rahul2389 (Posts: 1; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
Will LG G2 have international warranty?
When is it releasing in India??
10. piratestation (Posts: 15; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
I've read on a forum with people having the Korean version and said it runs hot, ringtone not loud enough, vibrate is too weak.
Wondering if it's same for US version.
47. HeWhoDoesNothing (Posts: 157; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
A review from another site stated that the international version has "strong vibrational feedback". I think that's an issue with the Korean version only.
11. Simply_Leo (Posts: 3; Member since: 21 Aug 2013)
Does G2 have wireless charging capability? Verizon is showing wireless charger as G2's accessory.
15. roldefol (Posts: 2860; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I can answer that one - the Verizon-exclusive version has a unique back with smaller buttons and wireless charging built in. The other US versions are identical to the international and do not have wireless charging.
39. Resqflyr (Posts: 18; Member since: 12 Apr 2013)
I have not found wirless charging on my AT&T version.
12. mclifford81 (Posts: 67; Member since: 26 Jan 2010)
As far as outdoor visibility how does it fare against the SGSIV or the iPhone 5. Also is the camera leaps and bounds over the SGSIV or just barely noticeable? Also from real world use is is noticeable faster the the SGSIV?
32. Resqflyr (Posts: 18; Member since: 12 Apr 2013)
Outdoor visibility smokes my GS4, advantage IPS screen. Not quite as bright as my daughters iPhone 5 but very close.
If you have the GS4 w/ Snapdragon 600 like I have, the LG G2 in my opinion IS faster!
75. ArcWoolf (Posts: 8; Member since: 18 Oct 2013)
that's funny because LG and Samsung make Iphone's displays.
13. julaiele (Posts: 12; Member since: 10 Aug 2013)
Can you make a detailed update on the G2 camera features. Like in HTC One's Zoe, does the G2 also have an "object removal" setting/button where the user can tap parts on the screen to remove unwanted objects/faces in the picture? Does it have also a slow motion capture & playback in the video mode? Please make remarks on these. Thank you..
14. LordDavon (Posts: 107; Member since: 19 Sep 2011)
I like the volume rocker's placement in the back of the unit, but do you find that your finger is touching the camera lens too often, and how often are you needing to clean the lens? Is there an easy distinction when holding the phone, that you know the exact position of the volume rocker?
38. Resqflyr (Posts: 18; Member since: 12 Apr 2013)
Qwerky at first but is now making perfect sense. If you really think about how you hold your phone, your index finger lands right where the buttons are.
IMO, it does not matter because I almost always use the "Knock On / Knock Off" feature to turn the screen on and off.
64. Lethe (Posts: 10; Member since: 30 Aug 2013)
Docomo~ is only supplier in Asia (exc. S.Korea)?
17. giper54 (Posts: 12; Member since: 06 May 2010)
Best Buy shows a white version for AT&T. Is this correct, will there be a white LG G2 available for AT&T?
33. Resqflyr (Posts: 18; Member since: 12 Apr 2013)
I ordered mine from AT&T online on Sept 6th and received it September 9th. At that time AT&T was only selling black.
46. HeWhoDoesNothing (Posts: 157; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
How are you liking it? This about the only phone I want. Don't be afraid to go into detail lol.
18. moorjani (Posts: 11; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
Does the phone have any overheating issues like the Galaxy S4??
63. Lethe (Posts: 10; Member since: 30 Aug 2013)
Every smartphone with snapdragon 800 AP has heating issue.
G2 controls over-heating issue with performance loss.
19. artealis (Posts: 98; Member since: 15 Dec 2010)
how good the wifi signal strenght and how easy to replace the battery and any plan to release same G2 with sdcard version?
20. moorjani (Posts: 11; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
Does the Snapdragon 800 heat up during heavy usage or web browsing ??
37. Resqflyr (Posts: 18; Member since: 12 Apr 2013)
I watched Netflix for a couple hours in my car while connected to bluetooth and it did not get warm enough to cause concern.
Doing the same with my GS4, I would sometimes point my ac vents towards my hand to cool it down.
Maybe the Snapdragon 800 inherently runs cooler.
21. SilentJ (Posts: 4; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
What is the true call quality of the device?
In the LG G2 review it states that the sound quality during calls is average at best and that the microphone is "not very good." However, in the comparison versus the HTC One it states that, with the volume turned down, the device puts out "nearly perfectly clear sound" and "on the other side of the line, our callers reported hearing us loud and clear on the G2."
I'm with Verizon and will probably go with either the HTC One or the G2, but the most important thing to me is the call quality, after all I still use it as a phone first and foremost.
22. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1195; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
And just to make this clear, the Verizon version has 32gig of storage standard. Many sites were saying 16/32gig. There is no 16gig model.
23. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5744; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Camera comparison - when will PA be able to post a comparison between the G2 and say, the iP5S, Experia Z1 (real comparison, not a limited indoor sample done at the release event), Moto Droid Ultra/Maxx, GS IV, Note 3 and L1020?
36. Resqflyr (Posts: 18; Member since: 12 Apr 2013)
With my eyes:
Better than my GS4 (probably due to OIS)
Better than my daughters iPhone 5
Cannot comment on any of the others.
34. Resqflyr (Posts: 18; Member since: 12 Apr 2013)
That is a subjective question and it really depends on what you want. Especially comparing specs. Since I have not had the Note 3, I cannot realistically comment. I do wish my G2 did have an SD Slot. I had the Note 2 and rarely used the stylus or split screen. I thought that stuff was neat but rarely had a use for it. That's just me.
42. timukh (Posts: 163; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
yeah i know, most of the reviewers say the same thing that the extra software features and the stylus are rarely used in a long time basis. At first they seem cool and useful but then u rarely need them. But the people hoping to buy a new phone may have this question, as both of the device are launched at the same time. So i wanted to know PA's opinion on that.
58. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1195; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
That is my current dilemma. With the "VERIZON30" coupon it knocks this phone down to $140; that's over half the cost of the Note 3. I played with the phone today and it actually feels solid for a plastic phone. Plus for the last 2 phones I've been rocking a Amoled display and I'm really looking for a brighter screen for outside use. Beautiful blacks and vibrant colors but almost useless in direct sunlight. The LG rep had a ballistic case for the AT&T version and it fits fine (worried over the button placement). And 32gig's is fine for me since I don't even fill up my 64gig sd card on my Note 2.
I think the software feature I like the most is the learning remote on the LG model. Minor but that's exactly what I wanted when they brought back IR blasters.
25. saravanan083 (Posts: 19; Member since: 30 Mar 2013)
i am in love with this device since it was announced and am planning to buy one and my only problem is that it comes from lg and the company has a very poor record in updating their smartphones
so give me your valuable advice
28. rumman19952012 (Posts: 4; Member since: 11 Sep 2013)
i like this phone but i hate the apps quality of android
30. goodbeer (Posts: 3; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
What are the model numbers of the different variations of the G2? AT&T=D800?, etc.
35. Resqflyr (Posts: 18; Member since: 12 Apr 2013)
This is from my order invoice from AT&T
LG Electronics GE D800 BLK PHONE
41. goodbeer (Posts: 3; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
Thanks! Reason for my asking this is because the online vendors list the cases and covers for the G2 by the Dxxx model designations. The different button sizes and slight variation in housing thicknesses would require the cases / covers to be slightly different in size and button hole shape to look and fit properly. I don't know which one to order for the Verizon G2.
49. goodbeer (Posts: 3; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
Answer to my own question...LG finally gave me an answer...the Verizon G2 is designated the VS980. That's direct from LG Customer Service. I know it's not a Dxxx number, but VS980 is the reply I got from them.
40. lsneddeff5 (Posts: 5; Member since: 02 Oct 2012)
Is verizon getting the LG g2 in white eventually?
43. Mahdi007 (Posts: 5; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
how good is screen quality in comparison with iPhone 5?
50. Lethe (Posts: 10; Member since: 30 Aug 2013)
considering my Korean version, it is the top class screen.
I have iPhone 5 either and me and my wife prefer G2`s screen.
52. Mahdi007 (Posts: 5; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
what about in comparison with nexus 4?because i have a nexus 4,i want to know how much is the diffrence?
59. Lethe (Posts: 10; Member since: 30 Aug 2013)
I used Optimus G, probably the same display to Nexus 4.
G2's display is far~ far~ better than the previous one.
44. Mastertwiz (Posts: 15; Member since: 10 Dec 2009)
What's the scoop on developer support for this phone? Do we expect significant efforts being put towards (1) unlocking the bootloader, (2) custom roms, and (3) rooting? Anyone's guess is as good as mine I suppose, I was just wondering if there were any leads.
45. HeWhoDoesNothing (Posts: 157; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
Can you tell apart individual pixels?
48. Saamic (Posts: 119; Member since: 20 Feb 2012)
How are the carrier versions of this phone different?