Kuo: Expect the Apple iPad 5 to launch sans Touch ID and a Retina display on the Apple iPad mini 2
0. phoneArena 20 Oct 2013, 01:39 posted on
Despite pictures indicating otherwise, KGI analyst Mingchi Kuo says that the Apple iPad 5 will not launch with the Touch ID fingerprint scanner; a picture that we showed you on Saturday morning that included the next iteration of Apple's 9.7 inch slate, revealed the feature on the tablet. In addition, Kuo, who is said to have inside contacts at Apple, forecasts that the iPad mini 2 will be equipped with a Retina display...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
18. Finalflash (Posts: 1872; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Doesn't everyone? But the problem with this guy's analysis is that it is largely speculation based on some evidence. I think the whole lack of iPhone touch IDs was manufactured shortages. It is a very simple part to design and they've had more than enough time now to ramp it up. Aside from that, the Retina issue is still something Apple hinted it was having problems with (may also be a manufactured problem to prevent canabilization) lending more credence to a non-Retina mini.
23. HansGoneInsane (Posts: 384; Member since: 09 Aug 2013)
I dont think so. Apple just boosted the production of the 5S by 75%. Therefore, it sounds logic that touch ID won't be available in necessary numbers for iPads. The iPad mini 2 will feature Retina, I am sure about that. The competition started to offer the feature this year and Apple seems to want to avoid the iPad following the iPhone marketshare. alsoThats why Apple plans to launch a larger iPad next year. I understand the article in the way that the iPad mini 2 will feature the A7 CPU and the iPad 5 the A7X CPU.
25. Shatter (Posts: 2031; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Theh converted 5c to 5s factories because barley anyone was buying them.
32. HansGoneInsane (Posts: 384; Member since: 09 Aug 2013)
5s +75%, 5c -33%. That doesn't sound like they converted factories (even though relative figures can't prove a thing)....
21. appleDOESNT.com (banned) (Posts: 456; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Another S hit, different year. Isn't this getting old iClones?
2. syedzain (Posts: 175; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
If retina on iPad Mini.. then Apple my Money is waiting for ur next product.
3. darkkjedii (Posts: 12340; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Apple please take my money for a mini2...please and thank u.
6. THE.DARK.KNIGHT (banned) (Posts: 269; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
Your wife's money you mean... ;-)
19. darkkjedii (Posts: 12340; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Yes actually you're right, she's buying these lol. I bought the phones. +1 lol
31. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4102; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I don't think picture #3 shows the iPad mini 2, but the original iPad mini. All 3 devices in the picture should be space grey, but the iPad mini is obviously less reflective than the other 2 space grey colored devices, which means it's a darker color, which would be black/slate, making it the original iPad mini.
Anyways, Retina iPad mini with A7 sounds great and will make me pick one up. I'm glad this analyst brought back some hope into the rumors/speculation.
5. Sreddy (Posts: 87; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
if there is no retina on mini, ill lose my respect for apple.. it would be just dragging too long for what the people want.
8. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1239; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
on the 8th day::let there be retina,but no cause no 8th day.
9. twens (Posts: 694; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
I can never see myself spending money on an Ipad or any Android tablet when w8.1 tablets are coming out.
10. Shatter (Posts: 2031; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Windows 8.1 already got released. I think they pulled it temporarly because some bugs.
I would take a low end windows 8 pro tablet any day over an android/iOS device. I'm trying to hold out until broadwell or skylake to upgrade my tablet.
16. TechBizJP08 (Posts: 495; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
Only the RT OS was pulled out due to some unexpected error received by some consumer upgrading to W8.1
11. darkvadervip (Posts: 341; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
8.1 on Rt only. All others can download 8.1
13. Pancholo (Posts: 377; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
They should just implement Retinas on their flagship products (iPads and iPhones) as a standard to avoid further fragmentation.
14. nobelset (Posts: 270; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
Retina on an iPhone would be a giant leap and the benchmarks will drop significantly xD. But I get your point, it's true, they should do that with the mini and iPad, but with the iPhone, it's screen is too small. It will run the apps, but you barely see the details.
17. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1266; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
Can't the media wait until Tuesday for the facts? A day ago the mini was not getting the retina display and the iPad 5 had touch ID.
20. xfire99 (Posts: 560; Member since: 14 Mar 2012)
Im sure Im better analyst then this guy Kuo and I predict 1000% sure that Ipad mini wont have retina display with 2048 x 1536 resolution and Ipad 5 will have Touch ID.
How the heck can this guy works as analyst with these ridiculous analysts and this inside contacts are total bull.
24. moronman66 (Posts: 159; Member since: 09 Jan 2012)
Has anyone thought about holding the iPad 5 without those side bezels? It might look like a better design, but bezels on tablets are important so your hands aren't on the sides of the screen. All I'm saying.
28. LionStone (Posts: 461; Member since: 10 Dec 2010)
Yep, the bezels on Nexus 7HD are perfect! Also this dude on the plane had an ipad and was watching a movie and it had huge black bars above and below the picture. I mean, it wasn't much more than what I see on the Nexus 7! Interesting...
30. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4102; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Apple thought about this with the iPad mini, iOS can differentiate between intentional taps/swipes and a resting palm, so it doesn't really matter if your hands are partially on the display.
27. cheeseycheeser (Posts: 389; Member since: 24 Mar 2011)
If it doesn't have TouchID or a Gold option I won't buy it. Not because I really care about wither of those "features" but because it shows they don't care about one product as much as another and I've already been burned on my iPad 1 and my HTC Thunderbolt, and my DROID Bionic. I have bad luck apparently.