Korean securities firm sends note to clients with Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy S5 specs
0. phoneArena 03 Feb 2014, 12:37 posted on
Korean securities firm KDB Daewoo Securities Research, has passed along rumored specs for the Apple iPhone 6 and the Samsung Galaxy S5 to its customers on Monday. The report says that the Apple iPhone 6 will be available in two sizes, one with a 4.7 inch to 4.8 inch screen, and the other with a 5.5 inch glass. The resolution on the displays will be 1080 x 1920 and 1280 x 2272 respectively...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. mayur007 (Posts: 523; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
By the specs both are tempting ...
lets c .. what happens ..
7. Finalflash (Posts: 2318; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Definitely all items on that list look very appealing. If Samsung has IGZO displays in its phone then that is going to be the game changing phone next generation because 3200 mAh plus IGZO frugality will be ridiculous. Apple should have gone for a larger battery instead of thinness imho, but they could have a couple surprises for all we know.
56. a_merryman (Posts: 749; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
This report speculates the Samsung model would have an Amoled display and that they Apple phones will have the IGZO display. Otherwise I agree, cant wait for a phone with IGZO display based on all the great things I've heard about it.
27. dirtydirty00 (Posts: 410; Member since: 21 Jan 2011)
The Iphone 6 pic strangely resembles the HTC One
34. darkkjedii (Posts: 16970; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
That's a concept, the iPhone 6 doesn't actually exist yet.
35. apple4never (Posts: 1048; Member since: 08 May 2013)
maybe, i mean we were seeing iPhone 5s leaks around this time last year too
40. darkkjedii (Posts: 16970; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Not in late jan, early feb dude. It's was later, but they did turn out to be correct.
49. apple4never (Posts: 1048; Member since: 08 May 2013)
well hopefully these are true, they make me apple4ever ;)
2. JewBakaUCFG (Posts: 173; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
Believe nothing until the companies respective leads are on stage making announcements.
3. PorkyBurger (Posts: 585; Member since: 18 May 2013)
1080p or 2272x1280 (?), 2GB RAM, A8 chip and just 1800mAh?....my head hurts.
Captain Obvious, help me~!
6. Finalflash (Posts: 2318; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
The resolutions (both) more or less keep the pixel density the same, allowing developers an easier way to upgrade apps without having to worry about 30 different densities. Also, the battery is that low probably because they have decided to keep the phones so thin (expected 6 mm). The IGZO display will more than make up for it if the power saving features of IGZO are as they say they are. A8 chip will likely be an overclocked A7 if it is released in Q2 2014 instead of an all new chip likely because enough time hasn't been given to develop/produce a whole new chip in bulk. Likely they might also shrink the process when not making a new core which is what most chip companies do these days(intel tick tock strategy). 2GB of ram is the least they can do in that regard.
13. PorkyBurger (Posts: 585; Member since: 18 May 2013)
Thhhhhhhhhhhhank you, Captain Obvious! o3o
4. Finalflash (Posts: 2318; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Wait what, 2nd quarter launch on an iPhone, wouldn't that piss off all the 5s customers?
8. lyndon420 (Posts: 3149; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Why should it matter? One day they're happy with their purchase and the next not - just because a new device has been launched?
15. bucky (Posts: 2146; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
couldn't help but take a shot huh? apple is the only company that release once a year. Your android phone is outdated in 3 weeks most of time. More often than not its the android users think like that (not all). Also, i see a lot more 4S phones on the market then 3 year old androids
18. MEeee (Posts: 309; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
How can you tell they are 4S? 4 and 4S look exactly the same.
22. Finalflash (Posts: 2318; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
You have to look for the Antenna breaker band at the top of the phone (4 has it 4s does not have one on top of the phone, don't ask why I know this). Since they usually have a case though (for the premium feels) it can be a bit difficult.
64. TrePharaoh (Posts: 41; Member since: 22 Oct 2013)
Actually the Verizon and the Sprint iPhone 4 models don't have the antenna breaks on the top. Only the AT&T model has that. So you could be mistaking 4's for 4S's.
51. apple4never (Posts: 1048; Member since: 08 May 2013)
ok so if a 4 and 4s are the same lets say there are more 4 year old iphones than 4 year old androids. your just making his point stronger
42. darkkjedii (Posts: 16970; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
That's true, android phones due become outdated faster. HTC One (HTC One Maxx), s4, s4 black, s4 active, s4 s600, s4 octa exynos, s4 lte s600, s4 toaster, s4 toaster + s4 toaster Neo.
65. joey_sfb (Posts: 4583; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
You left out Mega toaster and Mega toaster lite.
9. livyatan (Posts: 867; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
The S5's screen resolution is so pointless though.
I would seriously rather have a 1080p screen of that size because it would make the phone more efficient, without any loss in perceived sharpness of the screen.
This way the iPhone will again have superior on screen GPU results and that's the sort of stuff that will echoe through the media.
Samsung should really finally start to learn that more is not always better!
25. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 474; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
A 200 PPI display vs a 300 PPI display makes a much larger difference than a 300 PPI display vs a 400 PPI display which makes a slightly larger difference than between a 400 PPI display vs a 500 PPI display.
I personally won't feel any major desire to have a QHD display but to say it's useless is wrong, being somebody who plays very few games on my phone that use 3D graphics I won't care about the performance hits either.
31. livyatan (Posts: 867; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
+1 for you.
I stand corrected, but still have to say that I am satisfied with sharpness of my Note 3 screen.
10. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10087; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I didn't have to finish the article to know this is fake.
First, Apple will definitely launch an iPhone with a standard resolution (1920x1080p). Instead, they'll opt for an awkward resolution no one ever uses.
Two, Apple wills not release an iPhone in Q2. They'll never drive away from the last week of September release date.
Three, neither Samsung or Apple will release their flagships with 128GB of storage since they'll want to push people into using their own cloud storage.
That's just my two cents.
12. wilsong17 (unregistered)
you can run the galaxy a3,s3, note 2 and 3 with a 128 gb memory card
14. PorkyBurger (Posts: 585; Member since: 18 May 2013)
liar-liar, pants on fire.
Those phones hold up to 64GBs. I don't know about Galaxy A3, though.
44. av911 (Posts: 181; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
33. Commentator (Posts: 3139; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
BUT, can you run (rule*) the galaxy as father and son?
21. buccob (Posts: 2258; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Well... the supposedly S5 doesn't seem to be far fetched... the iPhone part seems to align with rumours, but it does seem sketchy about the battery and dates.....
I didn't get what you said about the resolution... do you think Apple will launch with standard res or opt for awkward one? typo?
But I think that the storage part might be true because that does not stop people from using Cloud services... Cloud is also a mean to keep your files sync, backed up and handy for other devices....
At least thats the use I see the most...
23. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 474; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
I thought they recently released a standard-definition 4K monitor which made me think that they might start using standard definition more frequently than these ridiculous resolutions that they produce purely to save money. It would make so much more sense to stick with 1080p because Android developers already have apps in 1080p and they could re-use most of it for iOS. We'll see.
43. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
"Android developers already have apps in 1080p and they could re-use most of it for iOS."
Thanks for the good laugh.
26. Finalflash (Posts: 2318; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
I think they will finally drop the ridiculous resolutions primarily because they made the transition from 4:3 on phones to 16:9 with the iPhone 5. If they make a 4:3 phone again, it will be WAY to fat and once again increase their fragmentation (they still need that card).
Q2 might actually happen if they plan on competing with the primary phone makers directly instead of 6 months after. Up until now they had the disadvantage of being called 6 months late with less tech in almost all regards. Now at least they will release at the same time with slightly less tech. The iPads were moved to September to make up for that as well (revenue spread). It also has the added benefit of stealing customers from Samsung or HTC because contract upgrades for those companies happen at that time while most iOS users are set for October for the next year or two (very underhanded and classic Apple). They are pulling all the stops this time to steal as much thunder as possible whether by hook or crook. They probably will succeed to a certain degree but will eventually live to regret losing the customers who switch to LG and Sony because their tech comes out at year end.
30. stealthd (Posts: 1067; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
There's nothing really awkward about their resolutions. They stand out in a list like this because they aren't "standard" but they create zero problems for developers and users, so there's nothing awkward about it.
37. darkkjedii (Posts: 16970; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
The zomdroids are gonna hate no matter what. Let em hate, while we enjoy.
54. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10087; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Definitely not hating. It was a simple statement that holds true. No other OEM uses 1136x640p on their displays.
55. darkkjedii (Posts: 16970; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
C'mon dude you're not a zomdroid Smurf. Phonearenauser, finalflash, reckless, those are 3 examples of zomdroids. You're a techie dude.
53. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10087; Member since: 14 May 2012)
1136x640 is awkward... Don't see why they couldn't use the standard 1280x720 to achieve a higher pixel count instead of 326?
62. Finalflash (Posts: 2318; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
They did that to make it easier for developers because fewer pixel densities mean easier fine upgrading apps.
11. livyatan (Posts: 867; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
BTW here's some news for you PA
An absolute Dragon of a chip getting hatched at Qualcomm
16. buccob (Posts: 2258; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
So is Apple finally dropping the Home button for a different kind? smaller, or maybe on-screen with fingerscanner underrneath? they already have the patent for that
29. PBXtech (Posts: 1032; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
Good point, especially after making such a huge deal about the fingerprint scanner being built into the home button.
Personally, I'd love to see the home button go away, but doubt Apple will make that change, it's single handedly the most noticeable feature the iPhone has.
57. buccob (Posts: 2258; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
A 4.7" phone with the same home button and the same symmetric bezel on top would leave a huge foot print. Kind of like a Xperia Z1 but with a smaller screen!...
They need to change the design, and it is the generation that is meant to change
17. KillgoreTroutTime (Posts: 433; Member since: 06 Jan 2014)
If they really impress with the Iwatch, which I have no doubt they will, I will have to switch to Apple again. An awesome Iphone 6 with what would finally be an awesome smartwatch? sign me up. (I have a Pebble and love it. I am not biased. Screw you morons who only root for one company. Cant you just enjoy the advancements of technology?)
19. MEeee (Posts: 309; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Finally Apple can teach people how to hold a large phone.
20. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 474; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
The S5 doesn't seem too far off aside from the concept image used.
The iPhone 6 I find very difficult to believe though, Apple isn't a company that would release a flagship device in June 9 months after the previous flagship, it just isn't likely. The 1800 mAH battery is hard to believe as well, the battery will definitely be smaller than the S5's battery, but 1800 mAH doesn't seem like enough, even with IGZO and Apple's battery optimizations I would think 2100 mAH at the least with that size and resolution display.
24. JerryTime (Posts: 468; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
The S5 sounds like a BEAST!!! If they make it out of a better material other than that crappy plastic they always use, I may consider picking ine up.
50. Tizen007 (Posts: 575; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
I'M KOREAN AND THE second last bar of the Galaxy S5 GRAPH SAYS
"풀 메탈 바디" WHICH TRANSLATES TO "FULL METAL BODY"
Please include this in your report Phonearena ~
59. Kaiser2007 (Posts: 169; Member since: 16 Nov 2013)
Disappointed on the S5. I was hoping it will have 4GB of RAM.
32. darkkjedii (Posts: 16970; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
5.5 inch iPhone for me please and thank u.
36. xPnoyStar (Posts: 7; Member since: 25 Jan 2014)
Lol iBeacon.. Many dumb people will believe that the iPhone 6 is something to eat. (If you know what I mean)
38. davidnam88 (Posts: 3; Member since: 03 Feb 2014)
For anyone who's interested in the rest of the specs in Korean.
Front Camera: 3.2MP, Back Camera: 16MP
Battery: At least 3200 mah
Fingerprint + Retina Recognition, Home Button Sensor
Wireless Charging (Inductive Coupling)
Full Metal Body (yay)
Front Camera: 3.2MP, Back Camera: 8MP
Battery: At least 1800 mah
Fingerprint + Facial Recognition, Home Button Sensor
Wireless Charging (Magnetic Resonance)
iBeacon (Near Field Communications)
45. Tizen007 (Posts: 575; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
I'M KOREAN AND THE second last bar of the GRAPH SAYS
"풀 메탈 바디" WHICH TRANSLATES TO "FULL METAL BODY"
Please include this in your report.