Just which smartphone is the top seller at Verizon?
0. phoneArena 26 Jun 2012, 19:08 posted on
William Blair analyst Anil Doradla said on Tuesday that the Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX has surpassed the Apple iPhone 4S to become the top selling smartphone at the nation's largest carrier, Verizon; meanwhile, also on Tuesday Michael Walkley, analyst with Canaccord Genuity, said his checks show the iPhone 4S on top...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
53. Roomaku (Posts: 278; Member since: 06 Feb 2012)
No, I was looking at At&ts top phones, that's cool for Moto to I guess, but it's always good to see something other then Android and iOS.
2. Goldeneye (Posts: 404; Member since: 22 Jan 2011)
Will be really interesting to see this info by the end of the year, when the GSIII and new iphone are at full speed.
48. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
There are more females than males. Females have smaller hands than males, other things being equal. Steve Jobs understand this and other important facts like about 90% of us are right-handed.
In summary, the new Apple iPhone with the smaller screen will outsell Samsung GIII with the super-sized screen, respectively.
54. iamcc (Posts: 1319; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
Hey ardent can I borrow your crystal ball I want to buy some stocks and make sure I don't lose any money.
Oh wait, you have no f**king clue what you're talking about and you generally pull s**t out of your ass.
57. wsucoug13 (Posts: 164; Member since: 04 May 2012)
how does that not make sense to you.... think about it. iPhones are totally chick phones. they like to put cute and brightly colored cases on them and s**t and go on facebook. that is it.
3. Carlitos (Posts: 453; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
I think advertisements had a lot to do for the selling of so much Droid razr/Maxx. I believe late last month I'm not sure. Was when the Droid Does commercials began.
4. Synack (Posts: 674; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
Well maybe it will succeed the RAZR if and only if Verizon promotes the balls out of it like they did the RAZR. Verizon must REALLY like Motorola and the RAZR because they did the same thing for the original RAZR several years ago.
28. residualhatred (Posts: 25; Member since: 28 May 2012)
Verizon and Motorola have always had a good relationship. Most of the marketing dollar will be skewed toward motorola products because of that relationship.
30. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I couldn't agree more, Verizon has always had the best Motorola phones since the OG DROID came out.
5. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Walkley, talk about serious iDenial.
Fact is this: iPhone 4S was number two at Verizon during Q2 and the DROUD RAZR MAXX was number one!!
iReign over, time for a new RULER.
And, just wait for the numbers for Q3 with the SG III on all carriers; it'll be iDeath to Facetime and it's iWiFi.
10. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
How is that a fact when Verizon hasn't reported their Q2 sales?
29. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
I am reporting on Verizon's behalf.
Go connect to your iWiFi.
31. GellerDoesDallas (Posts: 50; Member since: 26 Mar 2012)
I remember that trash when he used to visit BGR, all taco did was whine and cry like a baby, he knows the RAZR is outselling the iPhone he just can't handle it.
40. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Well actually the article your posting on says the iPhone is outselling the Razr
49. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
Prepare to yet again eat humble pie. PAPINYC, you must love humble pie since you eat so much of it.
6. CommentBoxEnforcer (Posts: 99; Member since: 13 Feb 2012)
Its crazy how 1 phone(iPhone) can compete with a million androids
8. Synack (Posts: 674; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
It's crazy how one phone (Galaxy S3) is better than every iPhone combined. Samsung underestimated the demand by 2 MILLION preorders.
11. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Nothing official yet so we'll see
55. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
whats that taco? when its not in your favor its "nothing official", but when 99% of all websites report something against you and 1 website posts jibberish supporting you, only the 1 website is right... right? lol your such a stupid troll.
22. CommentBoxEnforcer (Posts: 99; Member since: 13 Feb 2012)
No matter if its a galaxy s, nexus or note....they all try to compete with the iphone...1 phone competing with a million androids
32. Synack (Posts: 674; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
I think it needs to be looked at as:
iPhone 3GS vs OG Droid
iPhone 4 vs Galaxy S1
iPhone 4S vs Galaxy S2
iPhone 5 vs Galaxy S3
Purely in sales here.
33. Sackboy117 (Posts: 178; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Its one OS vs another, yet iOS only releases one phone each year, whereas Android has many different companies competing not only with Apple, but with each other. This leads to multiple Android flagship smartphones at once each trying to be the best in their own OS.
36. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
understimated. please they copied what apple does but they call it .. understimated.. but thats a page out of Apple playbook.. creating shortage page 87 Apple's book of sales
9. MalakiMills (Posts: 257; Member since: 15 Jun 2010)
Not that crazy, think about it. You want iOS you have one option. You want android, well you have more options than you need. Even if there was only 5 Android phones the iPhone will still more than likely outsell each one individually, but Android would sell more as a whole. It's less about the phone itself and more about what the phone can do, or more specifically what operating system you want.
13. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
iPhone competeds with all those android phones as well so that's a pretty lame argument.
34. metoyou (Posts: 279; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
When ppl saying the way your saying is plain stupid. try to reverse it and then say again.
Choice one - you only have ONE Apple to choose to buy
Choice two - you have MANY different orange to choose to buy
Now TELL me which one do you think is an easy sell?
If you cant' answer this simple math then please be quiet
51. roscuthiii (Posts: 2010; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Not really... think of it as Honda making only the Accord and then comparing it to all the other manufacturers and their differing makes and models... Guess which one would probably have the highest singular sales?
7. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Manufactures just need to make commercials that make sense.
Just show the special features of a phone, and make the person want to buy it.
Don't do some crazy "DROID" thing that nobody understands.
12. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Well fandroids looks like you toot your own horn too fast. If you remember when the Razr article was posted I said that it's only an analyst and not official. You guys trolled and took it as fact.
Ted any comments??
14. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Taco, my wife has the 4S and I have the DROID RAZR - the RAZR is easily a better phone, especially when you have it on ICS 4.0.4.
Now, go back under the rock and wait for the next iphone...m'kay??
18. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
When did you get the ICS update?
I have a Razr Maxx and I have yet to get it..... sorda stinks!
But I do have to say the 4S does have the upper hand, it has almost been a year with that phone, and most of the sales were in just the first few months, everyone that wanted it..... now has it... no one left to get it now..
20. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
OTA has been sent and you can do it yourself at the droidrazr forums. .211 is the latest leak and looks to be the same for the Verizon ROM. Now, if only the BL can be unlocked, although, we have ways around that now.
37. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
on the jellybean articles fandroids stated that ICS was not needed as Gingerbread was more than suficient.. guess they were lying.. hmmmm they will lie before admitting defeat...
43. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
They troll around and back track without any regard for other statements they made even in the same day.
42. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
what does that have to do with the article or my comment?
19. tedkord (Posts: 8322; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
This guy's just an analyst, too. Yet, you have had no problem stating that the 4s sold more, even before this new analyst added his input. So which is it, is the word of an analyst useless or not?
41. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
You were just arguing it as fact the other day. Unlike you I realize this is an analyst report so it's an educated guess. Just glad to see you get shut up.
62. jroc74 (Posts: 5732; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
E X A C T L Y...lol
At the end of the day...it really doesnt even matter. As long as we all have a choice. Whether its Android, iPhone, WP, etc...
23. Sniggly (Posts: 7297; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Well, Taco, looks like you, just as I figured, would come in and put more stock into this analyst than the other one.
The other analyst could be wrong, but the fact is that the iPhone models are not as completely dominant as you think.
44. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
I haven't put more stock into this. I'm going off Q1 sales where iPhone dominated and no one knows until official numbers are reported for Q2.
Fandroids have been trolling claiming victory off an analyst report.
46. Sniggly (Posts: 7297; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Even the possibility that sales from a single Android device even come close to the iPhone's, and a device that's priced similarly, at that, should be enough to gloat a little. This is after all the naysaying and bragging that you assholes do, basically claiming that the iPhone is the absolute best because the series outsells any other particular series.
Meanwhile you've ignored anyone who points out that quantity of sales doesn't equal value.
50. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
The unique thing about Apple is they lead in sales at a premium price. Usually cheap products dominate in volume.
52. Sniggly (Posts: 7297; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Not necessarily. First, we sell a ton of fifty buck iPhones. But we sell a lot of the higher priced phones of all kinds too, because those phones are usually just better. For instance, we keep selling through our Evo LTE inventory. For the past three weeks we have had maybe one or two left before our Friday shipments. The Galaxy S 2 has been selling better than the cheap and free models on the carriers, and once the Razr wasn't three hundred f**king bucks, we started selling through those. I would say at best it's evenly matched. If there is enough value customers will go for the higher model. They only go for the cheap/free model if they have little money or don't see enough value to spend the extra money. For instance, a lot of your first time smartphone buyers go for the iPhone 4 instead of the 4S because they could give half a s**t about the faster processor, Siri, or the higher storage, since the price difference is 150 dollars. And many times if something comparable to the iPhone is being sold for less, they'll go for that too.
My long, rambling point is that the key isn't necessarily price but value. Blackberries haven't sold well for years despite slashing prices as much as possible, because they had little perceived value. People who are ignorant of the smartphone industry usually go for the iPhone because it's talked up so much there is value both in perceived quality and its place as a status symbol. Android's value, on the other hand, usually rests in its features and variety, which still aren't matched by any other OS.
The defense rests.
56. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
free, $50, 100, and 150 are premium prices?
because iphones inhabit all of those prices.
And lets not forget prepay
16. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
What is up with these iFOLKS? They get butte hurt when you mention that their beloved phone just is not the best and has not been for some time. You would think that these folks are married to their phone, for better, or in this case, for WORSE.
38. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
do you get butt hurt when Androids devices get left behind on upgrades?.. or maybe 50% customer satisfacion. you guys defend Android the same as we do Apple so at least admitt it.. fandroid
21. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Bottom line is that when you purchase a phone, you buy it with confidence. I bought mine for a penny and have zero regrets, even while the MAXX, ONE X, and SGS3 - all better phones, arguably, are now out. Even for you iFOLKS. DO NOT get all hurt that your device is inferior to many others as it is a good starter phone for the elderly, women and children, alike.
39. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
who said we were butt hurt .. me and taco are happy... is you guys that cannot accept the people could prefer the iphone... Android is for geeks that like to tweak their phone outside geeks.,. no one does that...
58. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
its not that you like something different. no one cares about that. its that you act like absolute morons and safety helmeted champions of a cause, because you bought a phone.
45. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
And businessman since it's the leading device in business
24. mattjt21 (Posts: 3; Member since: 26 Jun 2012)
I'd have no issue buying an Iphone 4s over the Galaxy SIII. I am sorry but a 4.8 inch screen is just ridiculous. If I want a tablet I will buy one.
25. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
and a phone at 4" or smaller is just too tiny for me - to each his or her own, right?
26. mattjt21 (Posts: 3; Member since: 26 Jun 2012)
I would be okay with a 4" screen but show me an android that has a 4" screen these days. Everything is 4.3 and larger. If the iphone 5 holds true at 4" then I think that is pretty good.
60. androiddownsouth (Posts: 598; Member since: 02 May 2012)
HTC Incredible 4G will have a 4" screen, and releases on July 4th. If you don't like the 4.8" screen on the SGS3, then this phone will be a great alternative, and I agree, the 4" screen is preferred by more people than most think, myself included. I've had my hands on this phone at a regional HTC event, it's very slick, imo.
59. TimTebow (Posts: 70; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
Nokia out selling the mighty Galaxy s2. LOL
61. Beholder88 (Posts: 81; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I think the big driver here is 4G LTE. The iPhone is not LTE capable. Wait until the next version comes out and run these same comparisons next year. With the rumors of Big Red pushing LTE, it's no wonder the RAZR phones are fighting for the top position.