Jury awards Apple $290 million in damages re-trial
0. phoneArena 21 Nov 2013, 16:00 posted on
A jury in Federal Court has awarded Apple $290 million from Samsung following a trial held to determine how much Apple should receive after Samsung infringed on several patents with its smartphones and tablets. Apple was seeking $380 million and Samsung was requesting that it pay $52 million. The original damage award of $1.05 billion was vacated by Judge Koh and lowered by $450 million after the jury miscalculated the damages awarded on some devices...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1986; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
If this was in any other country, Apple would have got done over.
55. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Don't give up hope yet. This little circus isn't over by a long shot. Next there is the appeal. Something tells me that there will be multiple iterations on the appeal. For example, the appeal court will find judicial error in some part of the original trial and remand for a new trial. Back-and-forth, back-and-forth, and, and, and. There could still be life in this contest 10 years from now.
85. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
Dude, Samsung already admitted they stole from Apple.
So what is the basis of Samsung's appeal? Yes, we stole from Apple so we could make billions, and we shouldn't pay the penalty because Apple doesn't need the money.
88. darkkjedii (Posts: 19144; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I explained that admission to someone yesterday, they don't wanna hear it. +1
58. downphoenix (Posts: 3143; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
I think Samsung should have grounds to call a mistrial based on Lucy Koh. She seems to be pretty Apple biased from what the preceedings have shown so far.
66. ausnote2 (Posts: 84; Member since: 07 Dec 2012)
apple is basically hurting the US economy, they are patents troll and stifling competition. No wonder their economy is rubbish....>15 trillion debt
73. darkkjedii (Posts: 19144; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
You're trying so hard to get green thumbs dude. I'm playing my violin for you as we speak. Here here's a green thumb for you. +1.
79. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
oh ya for sure... thats why apple is the largest American company, drives 1-3% of the S&P 500, and has continued to make silicon valley the tech hotspot of the world along with the other great companies in the area...
they are really killing the economy huh?
83. xfire99 (Posts: 766; Member since: 14 Mar 2012)
They are not killing it and neither helping it.
2. applesucker (Posts: 81; Member since: 29 Oct 2013)
as usual what do we expect from a country full of racists and self conservative race
5. rawbow (Posts: 428; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
be the change you want to see in the world and grow up
10. Donkorvleone (Posts: 19; Member since: 30 May 2013)
Congratulations to the most worthless and dumbest comment on PA!! :D (applesucker)
As to the article itself it seems a little overkill but then I don´t know what the patents are even about, But the heavy pricing should in my opinion just hurry up the R&D in Samsung as I don´t think they like this very much
22. a_merryman (Posts: 749; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
More importantly, why do you care about the ruling? Do you have a bunch of stock in Samsung and this tiny drop in the bucket of their profits is somehow hurting your bottomline? I don't understand why you all seem to take mega-corporations going after each other as personal attacks on yourselves. Grow up.
43. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Everyone should care if they want to see an end to injustice. It doesn't matter if it directly affects you or not, it might affect you indirectly.
3. nasznjoka (Posts: 394; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
this #fruit is the source of all human sins! #***k it!
6. rawbow (Posts: 428; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
well i suppose you had Osama over for tea and complained about sins of Apple ..sarcasm/
4. rawbow (Posts: 428; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I like tech/softwares that Apple and Google make. These copyright wars give a bad name and a bad feeling overall. Yes every company has a right to guard their interests but this has gone too long. Imagine all that money being used for R&D instead on lawyers. I also realise that my thoughts reflect imagination not facts.
7. darkkjedii (Posts: 19144; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Tim, loan a brother a million, you just got paid.
33. tedkord (Posts: 9687; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Tim will get paid regardless, don't worry about that. Elop ran Nokia into the ground and her got 25 million. The CEO is always golden.
44. darkkjedii (Posts: 19144; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
True words my man, true words indeed. +1
15. umadden (banned) (Posts: 90; Member since: 14 Apr 2013)
quite ironic when apple users mock samsung for making simliar looking products, when iphones literally look exactly identical
86. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
iPhones are supposed to look alike since Apple created them.
How's that for a thought.
9. E.S.1 (Posts: 297; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
It's really sad that Apple has to sue another company in order to make money.....Now that's innovation! :)
11. darkkjedii (Posts: 19144; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
468,000,000,000. I call that making money. Your comment was incredibly stupid
19. darkkjedii (Posts: 19144; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Apple fan/Samsung fan/google fan/wp8 fan =techie. I simply call it like I see it bro, and I saw your comment as stupid when you break down what you posted. No disrespect, but Samsung admitted to copying/borrowing to an extent, and even felt they should pay something. Samsung and LG are locked in courtroom battles too. There's also HTC, Motorola, and let's not forget google is still paying MS for infringement. Not about being a fan yo, jus calling it like it is.
41. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Actually Samsung didn't admit anything. Sure they might be saying they will pay this much when cornered, just like when HTC decided to pay when they realized that they couldn't prevent the bully Apple from extorting them.
Samsung is saying they want to settle at 52 million because the stupid American jury and Apple has a gun to their head. They can't say what is on their mind like once your dumb hick ass puts the gun down ill break your arm. They have to reason with them until the gun is gone. I wouldn't call that an admission of guilt.
81. WallStreetWolf (Posts: 289; Member since: 08 Apr 2013)
Yes, because the United States is only full of gun toting hicks and Apple fans. Take your wasteful ignorance somewhere else you pillock.
29. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
I'm curious where the 468 billion number is from.
31. Ninetysix (Posts: 2287; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Type this in your search bar.
What's their maket cap?
32. darkkjedii (Posts: 19144; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Their market cap value as of today, actually it's 468.9B
59. downphoenix (Posts: 3143; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
Id say overvalued, but the market wants to value Snapchat at 4 billion, so I guess that just holds true for any company that isnt a dying breed, that it gets overvalued.
14. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Just when I thought Americans couldn't get anymore stupid a new jury surprises me. Well done good old U S of A.
80. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
the American legal system is the best in the world... why do you think people come to America to do business? It is not the government that is for sure...
25. dmsrfl (Posts: 44; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Why does Apple get to sue companies for features like pinch to zoom while they get away with blatantly copying features from everyone else like the notification center from Android...I just don't get it.
34. GeekyGene (Posts: 88; Member since: 25 Aug 2013)
Tell me more about how you consider a list of notifications a feature? That's like saying a Menu is a feature. Or a button.
38. tedkord (Posts: 9687; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
In exactly the same way a pinch gesture is.
40. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Um pinching to zooming is just zooming in and out. No one patented the magnify glass on windows or maybe Microsoft did but they didn't abuse it. Only Apple.
The bounce back is just a visual cue for the end of the page like a status bar or percentage indicator as well.
Don't get into semantics because anything can be broken down to a base form. The fact is, the things iOS 7 borrowed are A LOT more blatant than what Samsung did.
It is quite sad and pathetic actually.
52. stealthd (unregistered)
Zoom in and out buttons are just zooming in and out. If pinch to zoom isn't such a big deal then why is every phone using it now? Because it's a really useful feature is why. Navigating a map or image with one finger and adjusting the zoom with one more is way more natural than hitting separate buttons.
The original Galaxy S looked like a blatant iPhone ripoff, which is why when it was sold the sales people would often say it's "just like an iPhone" (even though the similarities were only superficial). What exactly did iOS 7 borrow that was so blatant? Was it the flat design that doesn't look like Android or Windows phone? Was it the animated wallpapers that weren't first on Android? Maybe you should have realized if Apple's copying was so blatant, that they WOULD be getting sued right now, but they aren't.
56. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Or maybe Google isn't interested in adding to the lawsuit dogpile.
57. darkkjedii (Posts: 19144; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I was told that buy a guy in T-Mobile. His exact words were "it's about the same as the iPhone, just slightly bigger"...
78. tedkord (Posts: 9687; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Pinch to zoom is used on all smartphones because its obvious, so much so that it was demonstrated on other touch devices before the iPhone. As was slide to unlock.
90. darkkjedii (Posts: 19144; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Honestly Ted, I never even heard of that feature before iPhone. Whoever invented it shoulda patented it, cuz apple did. You're always on point, so I trust your research, but it's all about putting a stamp on your IP. You gotta admit it, apple stamps the hell outta theirs. Does that make it fair, no, but it does make it legally binding as Sammy just found out.
35. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
People here might not like the answer and I try to be politically correct if possible but the answer is:
Because Apple knows how to hide behind their billion dollar war chest, Obama, and stupid Americans . Whether people like that answer or not the truth is in there....lol
46. darkkjedii (Posts: 19144; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Dude! What is your problem with Americans? I notice you constantly call us stupid, and stuff. Please clarify?
50. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Um, all you have to do is read the article. An American jury gave Apple another 290 million. The Nexus S software wasn't even designed by Samsung.
So if that is not stupidity, I don't know what is.
51. darkkjedii (Posts: 19144; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
An American jury, or a jury in America?
54. greathero1 (Posts: 563; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)
Stupid Americans? Really? You have to be the biggest joke on this website. Samsung and Apple have been fighting for a while now in many countries, sometimes Samsung has won, sometimes Apple. The evidence was presented before a judge or jury and the outcome stands. Seeing as how you were not in the courtroom to see the evidence in the cases and to see how it was presented, who the hell are you to call anybody stupid when......see post 35.
26. E.S.1 (Posts: 297; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
Extremely inappropriate comment above... No need for that.
27. GrapeEyes (Posts: 248; Member since: 01 Sep 2013)
Even if Apple won $1 Billion it will not save its pathetic iphone division!!
45. Pancholo (Posts: 380; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
They apparently are since they keep claiming these "damages." I mean, that's one of the reasons they're suing Samsung, right?