Juicy rumors: Hangouts to replace SMS on Android, Google working on Nexus devices for home automation
0. phoneArena 07 Oct 2013, 03:44 posted on
Google might be working on replacing SMS on Android with free messaging courtesy of Hangouts, and it could also be working on two radical new products…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
3. fistigons (Posts: 264; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
Will Hangouts be able to send messages to phones without Hangouts? Right now I'm still using Google Voice to send text messages to my family in the US. I only use Hangouts when I want to send a picture to my wife.
19. fistigons (Posts: 264; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
I want to know if people that have feature phones,(most of my family) will be able to send me a text straight to Hangouts like it does with Google Voice. The article doesn't say anything about that.
26. Pancholo (Posts: 380; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
A feature phone with Android? It's a smartphone if it has WP8, BB10, Android, iOS, FFOS, and any of the current or standard OS out there. What happened to those flip phones that don't run any of that? What are they now?!
You've genuinely intrigued me with the undergoing re-definition of the "feature phone" term. Oh, and I'm not being sarcastic at all.
30. fistigons (Posts: 264; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
The flip phones are now called feature phones. I found that out about a year ago from phonearena when i was looking to get the samsung brightside. I just called my env3 a dumb phone.
All of my parents/older relatives use dumb phones(and always will). Since the military stationed me in the UK, the only way I can text them is through google voice. I would love to use hangouts for all of my texting needs but you can only send messages to other hangout users.
What would be really awesome, is for hangouts to receive SMS messages, pictures and videos from feature phone users.
5. surethom (Posts: 382; Member since: 04 Mar 2009)
Would this work if you do not have a data signal???
7. fistigons (Posts: 264; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
I'm not sure how they would be able to do this. Hangouts and Voice both use some type of data to send your messages.
16. boosook (Posts: 1191; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Why don't you read the article before posting a comment???!!!
Of course it won't work if the other phone does not have Hangouts or is offline, or if you're offline. But all these things could be handled automatically by the software, which could send a normal SMS if it's not possible to send the SMS via Hangout (at least, I hope they'll implement it this way).
20. fistigons (Posts: 264; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
I think the main concern he had was from the articles mention of replacing SMS. Not everybody is familair with how Hangouts/imessage/google voice works.
23. alila2 (Posts: 118; Member since: 01 Nov 2011)
that's a good question! and the article is based on a none confirmed info.
10. tomakali (Posts: 15; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
guy to gf: im sorry i cant make it today(for dinner)
gf reply: well cant you try? (to come for dinner)
guy: yes im trying [Google Ads: Wanna try Viagara?]
Now ads in text msgs too...
Damn you google...
11. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3311; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Sounds great. Should support all android devices rather than Nexus and should be able to send universal message.
15. Trex95 (Posts: 600; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
I love both IOS and Android but unfortunately both are copying Whatsapp. I Message on IPhone and now G hangouts.
25. McLTE (Posts: 731; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
No thanks. I like having my chatting app (hangouts) separate from texting.
28. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 698; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
You can download a messaging app from playstore if you dont want to use hangout... Simple
29. fistigons (Posts: 264; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
Are there any good messaging apps that let you receive MMS messages?
31. HockeyDood (Posts: 69; Member since: 14 May 2010)
Stahp it Google. If I wanted a device to think for me, I would have gotten an iPhail. Don't screw with my text messaging services.