Judge in U.K. says HTC doesn't infringe on Apple patents, calls three Apple patents invalid
0. phoneArena posted on 04 Jul 2012, 12:08
It's becoming increasingly apparent that one court's infringement is another court's non-event; in the U.K., Judge Christopher Floyd ruled that HTC did not infringe on four Apple patents, saying that three of the patents were invalid...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
3. sorcio46 posted on 04 Jul 2012, 12:23 25 3
Fantastic News ! At least in Europe we do something against the big iPatent troller !
32. andro. posted on 04 Jul 2012, 15:21 5 2
Yes Europe does! "three of apples patents invalid" more like at least 33 are i'd say!
42. wendygarett (limited) 4 days ago posted on 04 Jul 2012, 17:28 5 1
British smart as always..
52. Otterbox (banned) posted on 04 Jul 2012, 20:28 2 11
Justice not being served isn't good news.
56. GellerDoesDallas posted on 04 Jul 2012, 20:39 7 3
The Judge disagrees with you and Apple, accept the loss ibot.
64. Otterbox (banned) posted on 04 Jul 2012, 22:00 2 9
Justice is the only loss here. Justice against patent infringement.
98. HTCFreak posted on 05 Jul 2012, 04:25 0 1
Haha "accept the loss" When Apple wins, nobody accepts the loss, but when apple loses, you tell him to accept the loss?
61. tedkord posted on 04 Jul 2012, 21:38 5 2
No, its not. That's why the Galaxy Nexus ban has so many bummed. This story is excellent news, however. It's nice to see commn sense triumph over patent trolling. Kind of a feel good story.
75. Otterbox (banned) posted on 04 Jul 2012, 23:31 1 9
Well Europe isn't always bright when it comes to laws as you can see with the article. If justice was severed, Apple's requests would have been accepted.
86. tedkord posted on 05 Jul 2012, 00:09 6 1
If justice were perfect, Apple's stolen and overly broad and obvious patents would have been laughed out of the patent office.
67. roscuthiii posted on 04 Jul 2012, 22:17 5 1
Justice has determined the patents were invalid. There can be no infringement against invalid patents. Justice has been served by correcting a mistake in that those patents never should have been granted.
The only bad news or loss here is to your bruised biased ego living vicariously through a corporate entity.
76. Otterbox (banned) posted on 04 Jul 2012, 23:32 1 5
The only thing that is invalid is companies like HTC and Samsung violating patents but not wanting to pony up the royalties.
It's about protecting business and keeping the market fair.
90. thinking posted on 05 Jul 2012, 01:52 3 1
As far as I can see, Sammy and HTC have not violated patents. Some of those patents should not have been there and some others are cases where the same feature has been incorporated. That is not stealing. If I make my own bicycle using my own wheel and axle and others, that is not the same as stealing your bicycle. And in case you have been following the news, you'd realise that Apple was not the creator of the universe and just last week, they were found to have stolen some patented technology and incorporated them in the iPhone and iPad.
82. jroc74 posted on 04 Jul 2012, 23:54 4 1
So....something ruled against Apple ...is wrong huh? Its only right when its in favor of Apple?
80. ardent1 posted on 04 Jul 2012, 23:48 1 2
In countries that don't have strong IP rights, you won't find innovating companies. The two go hand in hand. In America, we value property rights and that's why we have so many start-ups and one of the highest per capital based on GDP.
91. thinking posted on 05 Jul 2012, 01:55 2 0
The real innovating companies are in Europe and Asia. There are a few in the US, too. The UK, and not the US, is one of the strongest backers of IP rights. You can be jailed in the Uk for downloading a pirated movie.
2. tedkord posted on 04 Jul 2012, 12:22 32 1
The British have always been know for their dry humor, stiff upper lips, politeness and tea. We can add common sense to that list, now.
53. Otterbox (banned) posted on 04 Jul 2012, 20:29 2 7
Apparently turning a blind eye to laws being broken.
65. Otterbox (banned) posted on 04 Jul 2012, 22:01 2 4
I am only saying what's right.
69. Gsmalltheway posted on 04 Jul 2012, 22:51 5 1
What exactly do you think they "copied"? I have never seen "slide to unlock" on any android device. On my current device (galaxy s2 with stock ICS) i see a lock with a circle around it then you move that circle to an icon. Totally different then Apple's
70. kach22 posted on 04 Jul 2012, 22:54 4 1
You are only saying what you think is right as an apple Disciple and ignoring what is fact. Why would you say something that is against your Master's rule. Unleash the buckles around your collar.
92. thinking posted on 05 Jul 2012, 02:00 1 1
So, what exactly are you saying? Instead of attacking the judge, the country, laws, etc, please bullet the points and present what you think others are copying from Apple. Then, we can talk about it.
4. aaronkatrini posted on 04 Jul 2012, 12:24 16 1
One thing you can say for sure: Htc haven't steal anything from Apple!
I mean, look at their devices, not even close as design and UI to apple-made-product!
50. JC557 posted on 04 Jul 2012, 19:53 2 1
Not to mention that TouchFlo was in development for a long time and was what made WinMo 6 quite nice to use which eventually led to Sense.
93. thinking posted on 05 Jul 2012, 02:02 1 1
Actually, they have stolen from Apple. They have stolen Apple's customers and potential customers because of their high grade products.
11. sprockkets posted on 04 Jul 2012, 13:07 2 1
Actually per FOSS posting what Koh said, not everything she does was complete crap.
"Even though Apple had a clear case of an infringement of a valid software patent, Judge Koh held that "Apple has failed to meet its burden to establish that money damages will not be sufficient to compensate Apple for the Samsung products that likely infringe the '381 patent". For example, Apple has not "shown that consumers' purchasing decisions are based on the existence of a snap back feature protected by the '381 patent."
This only meant that she wouldn't ban on this patent, things may be different when the trial commences. But still.
33. jove39 posted on 04 Jul 2012, 15:57 0 0
What...htc got import ban due data tapping patent...only after sw update their devices were allowed!
41. jroc74 posted on 04 Jul 2012, 17:17 3 0
Wasnt the G Nex also cited for slide to unlock at one time?
So if the G Nex case turns out different than what? Will you also say Samsung didnt?
I swear.....these iFans are a real strange bunch.
54. Otterbox (banned) posted on 04 Jul 2012, 20:30 1 6
That explains why Samsung products sell more than HTC products. Samsung phones are an extremely poor man's iPhone minus the quality.
57. TOdoubleD posted on 04 Jul 2012, 20:50 5 1
Umm, aren't the phones priced about the same? It's usually the poor iPhone owners that come up with these kind of comments though.
Sent from my iPhone 4S.
62. jroc74 posted on 04 Jul 2012, 21:44 2 2
Another one to add to the iFan list.....this list has been growing lately...
Not even worth responding to the actual comment. Have a good day.
63. tedkord posted on 04 Jul 2012, 21:48 4 1
Check out the reviews of the Galaxy S3 and the iPhone 4s here on PhoneArena, then come back and tell us which got a higher rating...
66. Otterbox (banned) posted on 04 Jul 2012, 22:06 1 4
A review does not always determine how good a phone is.
74. tedkord posted on 04 Jul 2012, 23:02 7 1
Neither does your word.
77. Otterbox (banned) posted on 04 Jul 2012, 23:38 1 3
Neither does your comment.
87. tedkord posted on 05 Jul 2012, 00:14 3 1
The 10 million sold in one month and universally good reviews do, though. Thanks for playing.
71. Gsmalltheway posted on 04 Jul 2012, 22:55 3 2
iphones are the dumb phones of smartphones these days. The technological illiterate buy them. I know i have worked for one of the big 3 and all the people that buy iphones are people who arent tech savy or are elderly. So how can you say that samusung devices are "poor man's iPhones" Android 1.6 beats the current iOS 6 hands down
78. Otterbox (banned) posted on 04 Jul 2012, 23:39 1 5
At least most iPhones will get iOS 6 while a lot of Android phones are still stuck on Gingerbread.
81. willard12 posted on 04 Jul 2012, 23:50 4 1
Well, every iPhone will get ios 6. But most will not get all of the features of iOS 6, making it simply a minor update with the "iOS 6" name for most. Since iOS 6 pretty much stole things gingerbread was already doing, a gingerbread phone is still more advanced. Gingerbread users have been replying to a phone call with a message for a while now.
84. jroc74 posted on 04 Jul 2012, 23:59 1 1
I'm sorry...but trying to have a rational convo with a troll, iFan is borderline insanity.
More power to ya. Still, I agree 100% with what you are saying. Its not like EVERY iPhone user has the latest iPhone.
94. thinking posted on 05 Jul 2012, 02:04 0 0
How is that possible on stolen technology?
102. gwuhua1984 posted on 06 Jul 2012, 12:17 0 0
Get iOS6 to have what Androids have on Android 5.1? That's pretty nice for iPhone users, catching up.
88. Zero0 posted on 05 Jul 2012, 00:35 3 1
This is golden.
Yes. The Galaxy S3 is "an extremely poor man's iPhone," despite its price point (either on or off contract) being exactly the same as the iPhone. And of course it lacks quality too, because Samsung has NEVER made a good product. Well, you know, other than the iPhone's display.
By the way, I hope you are a representative of Otterbox. If you are not, you are damaging intellectual property, and no one wants that.
103. gwuhua1984 posted on 06 Jul 2012, 12:18 0 0
It's too late, he already killed Otterbox for me.
7. kamejoko posted on 04 Jul 2012, 12:38 9 1
I love Judge Christopher Floyd. He's very smart.
I hate Judge Koh. She eats money from apple.
40. Friendlysky posted on 04 Jul 2012, 17:12 3 0
Who say the US is not corruption ?????? It's worse than others country! Ohh No it call Lobby????????? Can any one explain to me the different between LOBBY AND CORRUPTION?
68. roscuthiii posted on 04 Jul 2012, 22:19 1 0
That's Capitalism for you, the best justice money can buy.
10. 14545 posted on 04 Jul 2012, 12:55 12 1
Score one for android across the "pond". Too bad judge Koh is too stupid to see these lawsuits for the BS that they are.
13. GuiltyBystander posted on 04 Jul 2012, 13:10 8 1
Of course she won't see these lawsuits for the bs that they are... Money makes you blind doncha know?