Judge fines himself for contempt after his smartphone disrupts court
0. phoneArena 15 Apr 2013, 11:08 posted on
Here is something that doesn't seem too unusual on its face, a judge ordering contempt of court charges on a smartphone owner whose phone goes off in the courtroom during a trial; we know how judges can be and they want to remain in control of their courtroom, but the thing here is that it was the judge's own phone that disrupted the court and so he fined himself for contempt...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. Props to the judge for living by his rule.
2. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Hmm.....this is an embarrassing and bad news for the judge!
Anyway, is there anyone gonna say OBJECTION right now? :)
5. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Nope, just kidding! lol :)
8. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
Order order i say
29. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
21. JC557 (Posts: 1312; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Where's the guy with the Phoenix Wright avatar?
19. dsDoan (Posts: 229; Member since: 28 Dec 2011)
It's not bad news for the judge. As he says, he's human, he made a mistake, he's paid for it (literally), and he's moved on. It's not a big deal, and only worthy of the article because of the ironic humor.
3. jaabubby (Posts: 38; Member since: 16 Jan 2010)
He'll use that as fodder when he runs for Superior Court judge! lol Nice move judge!
11. aguilitas (Posts: 8; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Yeah. Wonder why PhoneArena missed this detail...
17. tedkord (Posts: 9680; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Because it had nothing to do with the story?
26. downphoenix (Posts: 3143; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
because it would just serve to be bait for whoever hates said phone type.
7. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
Only 25$ thats chump change. At least he admits wat hes doin is wrong
14. biophone (Posts: 1909; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
It wasn't about the money. It was about the message
9. jacko1977 (Posts: 428; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
anyone else he would of fined them $500 i bet
12. ZeroCide (Posts: 762; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)
This is the awsomest judge ever. Just the fact that the fined himself deserves a +1.
15. procopiojose (Posts: 132; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
"In the past, the judge has taken away handsets from cops, attorneys, witnesses and friends."
So.... If it is committed by others, he will take the handset away. If he does it, it will be just a $25 fine?? hmmmm.. I can sense special treatment in the air.. (deep breath)
I'll dig deeper into this case and contact my best buddy Chuck fuc*** Norris. In case thing get messy..
18. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
Well... could have been worse. Imagine a booty call...
23. axllebeer (Posts: 271; Member since: 05 Apr 2011)
Did he also confiscate his own phone for the remainder of the session? ;)
30. Abbath (Posts: 99; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
self pah-pah-pah-PAWNAGE! *Quake voice*
P.S: jokes aside kudos to the judge for playing by the rules