Judge denies Hasbro's request to force Asus to change the name of its Asus Transformer Prime tablet
0. phoneArena 27 Mar 2012, 19:10 posted on
With all of the complex patent infringement lawsuits going on between Apple and Samsung, Apple and HTC, Apple and Motorola and others, toy maker Hasbro has joined the club with an attempt to get a court to block Asus from using the Transformer name on its tablets...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. andro. (Posts: 1986; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
If they were after asus over the name they surely could have went after LG for its optimus names. Besides,its a top tablet and the name makes it even cooler
10. snowgator (Posts: 3346; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Of course LG was next on the Hasbro hit list. You have seen through their plans.
4. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3046; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
No but they made it popular darth sheep.
5. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Hasbro should take this opportunity to further market its line of toys....
7. djripster (Posts: 136; Member since: 10 Dec 2011)
Well it seams obvious that Asus is taking advantage of the popularity of the Transformer movies..
But I don't think Hasbro has a case here, comparing a toy line to a tablet/computer line and thinking consumers cant see the clear difference between the two is a little far fetched.
That being said it would make sense for the two to work together if Hasbro has the rights to the Transformers trademark...
8. bayusuputra (Posts: 957; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
why not release special Hasbro Transformers Tablet series? Asus can sell that at a slightly higher premium, and give the difference to hasbro.. Certainly a win-win situation for me.. and make Asus Transformer series the official tablet for the franchise, instead of lenovo..
9. snowgator (Posts: 3346; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
"Hasbro countered by saying that consumers would believe that the toys were part of the Asus tablet line because decals of the Transformer characters had been placed on USB storage drives, computer mice, laptop skin, speaker heads and laptop docks. Additionally, in the third part of the movie trilogy, a character named Brains had transformed himself into a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge Plus laptop."
Grown men. Years and years of higher education, legal training, and months of preperation. Someone actually had to stand up before a judge and say those words. With a straight face. And got paid really, really well for it, I am sure.
It is amazing how the far the legal system has gone. Hasbro wants damages due to the idea that toys may be confused with computers. Wow.
11. mercorp (Posts: 989; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
a transformer is also means a device thay transfers electrical energy from one circuit to another through inductively coupled conductor.wtf hasbro?!
16. JunitoNH (Posts: 1177; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
I'm pretty sure, the cartoon was in Asus mind when they named the device. We can play with words, but I'm sure we are all smart enough to recognize the truth. If for example you were to name you legal team the- "Avengers."
12. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Hasbro should started making Tablets. Then sue Asus again, this time they will definitely win.
13. Mr.Best (Posts: 79; Member since: 17 Jan 2012)
If it was Apple they would've gotten thru. Sorry Hasbro but you can try again when you have $100 billion ok.
14. frydaexiii (Posts: 1314; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
lol, Hasbro could have used this opportunity to create special limited "Transformers Prime" edition Transformer Primes and earned a profit from it...
15. sheepygalaxy (Posts: 68; Member since: 10 Mar 2012)
next asus to be called transformer megatron will come with side cannon and will be able to turn into a plane
17. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
still waiting on the Asus Thundercat. and sent a signal to other tablets..
18. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6966; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
hasbro should work with ASUS and make a OPTIMUS PRIME TRANSFORM TABLET limited edition version. and no one shouldn't try pull a APPLE to sue