Judge denies Apple request to punish Samsung for leaking evidence; warns against more "theatrics"
0. phoneArena 03 Aug 2012, 18:30 posted on
Friday it was both Apple and Samsung's turn to together feel the wrath of Judge Lucy Koh as the judge first denied Apple's request to sanction Samsung for sending previously excluded evidence to the media; the judge then told both parties that she would not put up with any more "theatrics or sideshows"...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
38. -box- (Posts: 3882; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
@taco When we first started hearing about Koh a few months back, there were generally positive feelings towards her universally for being aseeimingly fair and not prone to taking for overpaid lawyers' running a b.s. campaign for their corporate overlords. There was even some half-hearted joking that she and the male judge (northern Midwest it east coast I don't recall) made fair enough rulings and cut through the b.s. that they should be candidates for the U.S. Supreme Court. Then Kih started going injunction crazy with the Galaxy Tabs, Nexus, and HTC OneX, and seemed to be under apple's influence, thus incurring disfavor. I'm hoping that was a ruse to put Apple off-guard and that the jury and herself will lay the smackdown on apple.and their childish lawsuit-happy attitudes
41. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Or maybe Apple proved that Samsung is copying and that's why they won all those injuctions.
50. tedkord (Posts: 5321; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
They can't prove anything until the trial. Unfortunately, Samsung aren't being allowed to defend themselves with evidence that not only they, but Sony were working on devices that were rounded corner rectangles prior to the iPhone, and that in fact Apple may have gotten some of their design ideas from Sony.
Regardless how this case turns out, it will continue for years in appeals.
70. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
That's why Apple macbook and Air are Xerox of
SONY Zseries labtop, even the keyboard lay out and design is a copy of SONY!!!!!!
46. networkdood (Posts: 6328; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Koh wants to go to the Supreme Court and a favorable ruling in favor of a supposed AMERICAN company would make her look favorable in the eyes of D.C.
80. networkdood (Posts: 6328; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
lol, I used favor(able) quite a few times....
21. ChafedBanana (Posts: 361; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
Why? Did the judge just recently upgrade to the SGSIII? I'll bet that was it.
23. Mr.Mr.Upgrade (Posts: 425; Member since: 30 Aug 2011)
Look and feels like apple bite off more then they bargain for
25. joey_sfb (Posts: 3307; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Reason why the judge can't punish Samsung and Apple is a preposterous bitch for asking;
"John Quinn has filed such a brief yesterday, arguing that the evidence released to the press is "ethical" and "legal", and not meant to sway the jury in any way. He is citing the public nature of the case and the 1st Amendment"
28. speckledapple (Posts: 879; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
I think they will make a movie out of this, this will probably go down in history in some respect.
39. -box- (Posts: 3882; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Pirates of Silicon Valley 2: Steve jobs' chest?
48. networkdood (Posts: 6328; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Even with this decision, I do not trust this judge - especially with her actions from the start - I will be shocked if Samsung wins this case or even receives a minor penalty....
52. kanagadeepan (Posts: 727; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
1) Devil is dictating Ethics...
2) Terrorists teaching about humanity...
3) Politicians boasting about public welfare...
4) APPLE says its NOT keen in making money...
5) Judge Koh talks about impartiality...
I don't know where this world is moving to...
78. networkdood (Posts: 6328; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
my cousin (female) is moving to UAE for 2 years to teach....lol....
62. kew01 (Posts: 15; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
I think she did this to save face and not arrouse more suspicions that she favors Apple. If they won this case this easily then everyone will wonder how it was posibile, considering it's a really important and industry changer case. She can use this to defend herself by saying "Well, I did "help" Samsung when blabblalba", after she gives Apple the win.
Its just a charade to make people believe she's not bias.
66. Lwazi_N (Posts: 205; Member since: 23 Jun 2011)
But from now on, let's see how many victories Sammy gains
68. RapidCat (Posts: 351; Member since: 12 Jun 2012)
reading comment section more fun than the article
69. 12Danny12 (Posts: 20; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
I'm never bias of any OS
But as a wp fanboy with a Android phone and a Samsung Windows phone and also getting a Samsung Windows phone 8 device. Apple is getting very disappointing by the minute. the update they IOS 6 was minor it's disgusting. compared to Wp8 and Android 4.1 they were HUGE!. they shouldn't even be cruel to poor Samsung. I believe in Samsung. they are a great and positive company. they don't keep suing people unlike apple. Apple's days are over they are scared because Samsung took over apple as the new iPhone. it's Samsung's world now. with Android on it's left and Wp on it's right side of the throne. if the next iphone is the same with everything except processor and new port then they are doomed. or either they ran out of ideas. I really hope that Wp and Android have a long time to come for them. Gud Luck! Android and Wp!. you two are like twins in specs and alot of stuff :D
PLEASE don't be negative to me Android fanboys. we Wp fanboys also hate Apple as well. because they made my first gen Ipad obsolete with no updates.
73. MARKSPEAR77 (Posts: 40; Member since: 24 Nov 2011)
surely apple wins because the judge is IKOH, lol....
76. shuaibhere (Posts: 1688; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
guyz don't fall in to her web.... she is jus trying to prove that she is not supporting apple...but actually she does... now droidfans got cooled... that is her idea.....
warning.....!!!! guyz don fall in to proveher web....!!!!
77. networkdood (Posts: 6328; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Sniggly, I dropboxed it for you....anyone can see a google+ picture that was made public, and anyone can view this also:
86. TortillaSlap (Posts: 43; Member since: 05 Aug 2012)
he could see it if he didnt have his iBlinders on. you know he just "cant see" anything that is negative from apple, or any of his prior BS.. thats how he keeps on spoutin it like its new.
82. ibap (Posts: 711; Member since: 09 Sep 2009)
As I said on another thread - if they'd spend half the money they're spending on BS lawsuits on development, we'd have fabulous battery life.
88. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
One of my freind told me that "Apple devices are so IDIOT-Proof"
Hmmm ... perhaps that's why i dont buy Apple stuff as I am not an idiot and i never will buy one. Just bought a Sony Xperia P for son recently on bis B'day and i find it a decent device. I just go by what suits me and not what my neighbour is buying ... afterall it's a device and not some jewelry to be worn for showing off :)