Judge Koh continues Samsung's legal slump by denying all 12 summary judgment motions
0. phoneArena 01 Jul 2012, 01:17 posted on
A summary judgement motion brought by Samsung back in May was denied in its entirety by Judge Lucy Koh on Saturday; the Korean manufacturer had attacked the validity of Apple's IP rights and Apple's FRAND-related antitrust claims...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
105. -box- (Posts: 3470; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Apple wouldn't exist as they are today without gross infringement. One of the reasons apple products are made in china is because of the country's turning a blind eye on infringing products from other manufacturers. Nokia alone could have had the apple production lines shuttered, but they didn't go far enough in their attack to defend their patents, so apple went on to continue its theiving ways
4. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Matters not. Even if the SGS3 is banned - Samsung will just make an SGS3N which will be infringement free. Virtually no loss of profit for Samsung.
For Apple on the other hand - every corner of the internet is swarming with Apple customers angry about their practices. That's Apple customers we're talking about here. And we all know that no amount of money will ever get a disgusted customer back.
142. E.N. (Posts: 2216; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
1. Most of these angry people are android users
2. your statement about every corner of the internet is swarming with angry apple users is false (that's in your head). Most people don't care and if the next iPhone is any good, people will buy it.
154. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
As usual fandroids are completely out of touch with reality and could care less what the facts are.
201. LOLpple (banned) (Posts: 86; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
1) Hi pot, meet kettle! (no way you figure that out)
2) The phrase is "COULDN'T care less", sh*tdip.
3) You accusing people of being out of touch with reality. Classic, ironic, and sad.
219. E.N. (Posts: 2216; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
Isn't the phrase dipsh*t? Just letting you know since you seem to like proper English language so much, lol. And what the hell is a welcher?
6. MorePhonesThanNeeded (Posts: 612; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
I wonder if Google patented anything having to do with their Knowledge engine? Apple are strange, they have this idea that they patent something and that no one else can use it, they don't even care about sharing it through licensing....yet they will complain if a company attempts to level the same thing at them. Only so long you can do wrong before you get caught, the longest rope has an end apple.
7. sarb009 (Posts: 252; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
May just apple's all law team die and all mobiile market will be a peacefull place again as was few years before. No one suing for rectangles, squares, circular button, taking a s**t in certain way etc. etc.
9. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 2801; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Hey Judge lady, might wanna stop acting too obvious you are under the Apple payroll.
47. mandkeee (Posts: 78; Member since: 27 Feb 2009)
Judge Koh you did great job.....
samsung copied way too much stuffs from apple.....
and im telling you guys....from this website....most of users are love android....
so if you say something good about apple??? trust me...you will get bad reply...
96. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
why are you posting this on every comment
don't apple fanboys have something more creative to say
114. sonisoe (Posts: 277; Member since: 06 May 2009)
well, apples dont fall far from the tree...
144. E.N. (Posts: 2216; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
What does that mean in this context? I know you were trying to be clever but you might have come up short
236. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5180; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
they don't care they don't even get anything out from these law suits their not even lawyers
57. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Let's ignore reality where it's plainly obvious Sansung is copying and claim instead something ridiculous.
67. wassup (Posts: 565; Member since: 23 Jun 2011)
Show me where they copied with the nexus, show me
97. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
duhhh s voice
it has this thing called "speech recongition"
and it uses this thing called a "microphone"
228. bayusuputra (Posts: 932; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
he said with the nexus, does the nexus has S-Voice?
161. gallitoking (Posts: 4572; Member since: 17 May 2011)
they already did... is what this article is about.. damm can you just read
203. LOLpple (banned) (Posts: 86; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
Tell you what, learn to communicate like you don't have a crippling learning disability and maybe, just MAYBE you will be taken a fraction of a percentile seriously. Maybe.
130. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5180; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
SHOW US SOME PROOF on how did Samsung copied Apple. Looks like you don't even know
145. E.N. (Posts: 2216; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
Proof how? Would you like him to make you guys a video tutorial or something? I think all the evidence needed was shown in the courtroom, you're just going to have to accept it..
149. chadrick0814 (Posts: 208; Member since: 23 Nov 2011)
In your honest opinion, does Apple copy?
155. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
I think recently Apple has copied the pull down notification bar from android. That's about it.
200. LOLpple (banned) (Posts: 86; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
....kind of like you do with apple? Idiot. Tell me, were you born this stupid or is it something you had to really work at?
202. LOLpple (banned) (Posts: 86; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
"Let's ignore reality"
No thanks, I've seen how that works out for you and just...no.
14. Sniggly (Posts: 6219; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Lucy Koh is symptomatic of what is wrong with the patent system.
"They have slide to unlock and voice search that talks back! Waaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!"
"Yeah, but you're using tech that took us decades and billions to develop. Without our work, you wouldn't have a goddamn phone to begin with."
"But...but...since that's essential for cell phones to exist, you shouldn't get to demand any compensation for what you developed!"
The battle between Apple and the Android manufacturers is like a car manufacturer saying they should get to build cars with engines exactly like a competitors', but that their competitor shouldn't be allowed to sell their cars because the dial on the radio looks the same.
It's a completely bass ackward concept.
16. Otterbox (banned) (Posts: 71; Member since: 27 Jun 2012)
I think companies know more about their tech and tech in general than you do.
18. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 2801; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
And you only know what Apple tells you.
27. ilia1986 (unregistered)
I think, Otterbox - without knowing you - that Sniggly knows more about tech than you are ever capable of learning in your entire life.
148. E.N. (Posts: 2216; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
Well for starters, that's a huge exaggeration. Secondly let's not pretend that Sniggly is the most unbiased user on this site. And Otterbox made a valid point, he was also never claiming to be the techies guy either.
164. gallitoking (Posts: 4572; Member since: 17 May 2011)
and lawyers know more about laws than Sniggly will ever know..
206. LOLpple (banned) (Posts: 86; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
And my f*cking cat knows more about grammar, syntax, and composition than you will ever know...
19. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
You're completely out of touch with reality as usual. Anyone with two eyes can see Samsung strategy is to copy Apple.
22. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 2801; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Competition isn't copying its trying to make a better product than the rest and that's what Samsung has done time after time.
28. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Did you not notice how many of those here who despise this, are actually Apple customers?
33. iShepherd (Posts: 38; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
The only thing I would accuse Samsung of is copying Apple's style of marketing and hype. Hardware-wise, at worst, some of their features were inspired by Apple as Apple's own iphone4 was inspired by:
48. Sniggly (Posts: 6219; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Sure, because the look and feel of the Galaxy S 3 is SOOOO much of a copy of the iPhone.
Apart from S-Voice, Samsung has done a lot of work with their phones to differentiate themselves from the iPhone.
58. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Let me ask you this. With Samsung facing all these lawsuits why would they make the S-voice interface so similar to Siri?
69. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Because it's almost impossible to make it look different?
You ask a question - you get a visual response. You got a microphone icon for tapping on it to start the process (although Samsung also implemented the "Hi Galaxy" phrase [innovation]). It's impossible to do this in any different way.
93. Zayuh24 (Posts: 147; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
Agreed. It's common sense: You ask a question, you get a response. Simple as that.
What else can you expect from a program that is DESIGNED to be simple? My God, there are so many geniuses on this site, it's ridiculous.
157. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
It's impossible to use a different color scheme than Apple. They can't use sound waves or a person icon instead of a mic.
There's lots of ways to implement this without making it look just like Siri.
222. remixfa (Posts: 13885; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
you moron, siri looks just like Vlingo, which is what the samsung S-Voice is based off of, and google voice actions have been around longer than siri, even when it was an app in the market. They are not looking like siri, siri is looking like them.
99. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
its like saying
toyota is copying honda because both if it's cars have wheels
YOU DON'T SAY?
HOW ELSE DO YOU MAKE A CAR. DO YOU BUT SQUARES OF WHAT?
132. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5180; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
is that all you ever think about how Samsung copied? You're one completely blind idiot
165. gallitoking (Posts: 4572; Member since: 17 May 2011)
the same thing was said about the Galaxy Tab.. teh Nexus. every single device and look where we stand now...
237. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5180; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
it's THE not TEH spell check before you post something
180. BattleBrat (Posts: 853; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
If they copied apple their phones would be less powerful and have tiny screens, also they would have to adopt a HIDEOUS version of touchwiz (I think that's what sammy calls it) that only let you view the apps drawer, that's it, the apps drawer, that would have to be the whole friggen OS, UGLY rows of apps you cannot hide, THAT is what sammy would have to do to copy apple, but Sammy passed Apple with the SGSII, and now, with ICS, they are LIGHTYEARS ahead, and the iPhone becomes more antiquated and obsolete, with its ugly clunky cookie cutter OS, where NOTHING CHANGES version to version, same ugly rows, same ugly screens.
229. bayusuputra (Posts: 932; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
"good artists copy, great artists steal"
- Steve BlwJobs -
and if samsung is copying apple as their strategy, i bet the SGS3 wouldn't be a 4.8" device, but a 3.5" with a half-baked OS instead..
136. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5180; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
hey Victor.H what is your stake on this case. this is getting over rated. Getting tired of Apple btching bout Samsung/HTC. DO u think Samsung Copied APPLE?
166. gallitoking (Posts: 4572; Member since: 17 May 2011)
why you ask him. if he doesnt answer in Android;s favor you wil critiq him and if we agrees you will applaud...anything but to respect his decision..
208. LOLpple (banned) (Posts: 86; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
Holy...holy sh*t kid, care to try that again in english? Maybe try and read what you just "wrote" out loud to yourself before putting it out there for the whole world to point and laugh at?
The fattest goose in town to anyone who can translate that from 'moron' to english.
238. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5180; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
critique NOT critq. learn to spell full words before psoting comment
246. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5180; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
I'm not asking you the question go back to your iPhone
111. -box- (Posts: 3470; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
I'm not sure if it's Koh, or the lawyers and their tactics. Koh can only judge on what she is presented, and she's had some good responses previously, so if Samsung's lawyers are doing a poor job of defending themselves and not being as convincing as they need to be, facts can get hidden under the veneer of the legal system. Take the Tab 10.1 case. They used 2001: A Space Odyssey as proof of prior art, but didn't follow up with other examples, like Star Trek TNG's tablet devices, or even Windows-running tablets, or using an example.like how TVs and fridges and washers and dryers and general appliances all look generically the same, with certain details to set them apart, be it a logo, a slight tweak on a particular aspect like handles or dials. If Samsung's defense was something along the lines of tablets being alliances and all appliances if the same genre will share certain design aspects, allot may have been a more successful ploy than what they did. Hindsight, sure, but nothing earth-shattering.
What we need is United States v. Apple for wasting taxpayers' money on baloney like this, and same everywhere else they try to exert legal pressure instead of competitive.