Judge: Apple must pay VirnetX $330,000 a day until a licensing deal is reached
0. phoneArena 27 Feb 2013, 19:36 posted on
A Federal Court Judge has rejected Apple's demands to lower or throwout a previous damage award imposed on it in the amount of $368.2 million that was awarded to patent holding company VirnetX; Apple must pay VirnetX $330,000 a day until the two sides come to an agreement on licensing four patents that were allegedly infringed on by FaceTime and iMessage...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
HAHAHA LOL APPLE GOT STONE BAD KARMA AGAIN APPLE
27. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
and better when they dont get a penny from 1bill from Samsung :)
34. lolioslol (banned) (Posts: 182; Member since: 10 Dec 2012)
Hell yeah, how do they like THOSE apples!
2. izim1 (Posts: 453; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Reading the first 2 sentences I had to go back and make sure which company was which. I mean, you could put "Apple" in place of "virnetx" as the opening word and they would still make sense.
3. ama3654 (Posts: 295; Member since: 27 Nov 2012)
Apple again, thieves! steal and change a few bobs then call it their new innovation smh!
Bitter taste of your own medicine
4. marchels14 (unregistered)
:D :D :D what goes around comes around.it got what it deserves.
28. Chuck.Norris (unregistered)
Love your avatar :-)
5. dorianb (Posts: 592; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
1. Apple does kinda deserve this. (Rectangles is all I'm saying.)
2. VirnetX patent trolls so hard it's sad. (Why the patent system needs fixing.)
That being said if I were VirnetX I'd hold out/stall negotiation for 30 days or so to milk all I could.
33. NexusKoolaid (Posts: 477; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
Yeah, I have mixed feelings about this as well. Certainly payback time for Apple, but in the end it's just one patent troll losing to another patent troll. Hard to get excited about that.
6. 14545 (Posts: 1468; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Has anyone else noticed that when apple infringes on a patent they say "we stole such a tiny part that we shouldn't compensate them", or "we didn't steal". Yet, if someone else borrows a tiny part of their design, they think they are owed the entire company in repayment of that "theft". What gives apple, either you owe, or you don't?
BTW, someone should explain irony to apple.
16. Aeires (unregistered)
7. lyndon420 (Posts: 3995; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
This is gonna be good. Yes...Yes it will be good yes.
8. MartyK (Posts: 788; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
In spite of how much I dislike Apple business practice; to allow a company who never try to introduce a product to a market, to sue is a disgrace; Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, LG, Nokia, BB, and Google need to join forces to stop these companies from doing this mess, this will come back to bite all these companies in the end!.
9. 14545 (Posts: 1468; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Apple is no less of a patent troll than VirnetX. Don't get me wrong, I don't condone what VX is doing, but apple is just as guilty in a much worse way.
10. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
368 million or 330,000/day ... they should post it on their website "iStole"
12. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
so now Apple is being bully by a patent troll and Apple is still the bad guy, but this company you guys are applauding will go after Google and see how your tune will be change...
13. 14545 (Posts: 1468; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
D@mn you're an idiot. No one here is saying that VX is in the right here. But what they are doing is NO DIFFERENT than what your beloved apple has done/is doing. The difference is that most here can see apple for what they are, just a bigger, richer, VX.
26. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Apple is role model for all Patent Trolls :)
30. MorePhonesThanNeeded (Posts: 645; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
You do realize that Apple also has it's own little patent trolls that it rents it's patents out to have them bother other companies to pay royalties. What goes around comes around...VirtnetX is a troll who needs to pass up those patents since they aren't doing a damn thing with them except trolling. USPTO should take control of patents when this happens and use them to get royalties to use for public benefit. Since the companies using the patents are always making a buck off the public anyway, might as well get them to contribute to the public by paying royalties for the patent and keeps the trolls beaten down forever.
14. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
apple complains when ''small'' patents are used against them but they are more than happy to use it against others
15. piyath (Posts: 179; Member since: 23 Mar 2012)
I THINK THIS ISN'T SOLELY & ONLY ABOUT MONEY. THIS IS ABOUT HOW APPLE HAVE TRIED HARD TO RUIN THEIR REPUTATION IN FRONT OF THE WHOLE WORLD.
THEIR FAME & DIGNITY ARE ALL FADES AWAY WITH SUCH NEWS ALL AROUND THE WORLD WITHIN NO TIME.. APPLE IS RUSTING
23. omar300 (Posts: 209; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
i wish these news made it to giant post of advertisement like apple has one for its own. only people who read blog know such dirty stuff about apple all the other people who are blinded by apple dont see this and they need to be shown apple real face.
17. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Good times! Instead of investing 12 billion in advertising Samsung should just hire a bunch of these companies just to give Apple a bigger taste of what they deserve.
18. thachlel (Posts: 75; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
Not much compare to Apple have 1.5 b from Samsung
21. omar300 (Posts: 209; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
only 23% of 1.5b but still its a good feeling someone stood up to bully. samsung lost the case because of "visuals" this is intellectual stealing of programming codes.
20. darkkjedii (Posts: 20113; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Apple should just pay them outta their 1.5 billion dollar Samsung settlement.
22. omar300 (Posts: 209; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
that money should go to htc to be honest.
that company is doing dearly bad.
htc needs money and new ceo.
they have great engineers. but the business men of that company will drown it.
24. Izoe (Posts: 131; Member since: 02 Sep 2010)
Unfortunately, that is yet to be settled(and might never be paid), so for now Apple will have to let some cash sip out of their own stash
25. lyndon420 (Posts: 3995; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Can't see VertneX jumping to a settlement too quickly.
29. ilia1986 (unregistered)
What a great way to open the day with! >:D
31. lauremar (Posts: 181; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
Oh snap... Apple got a taste of their own medicine, a hard pill to swallow.
32. dragonscourgex (Posts: 307; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Apple is getting what they deserve. Side note, company like VirtneX are 100x worse then Apple. They need to be take out of the equation all together.
35. V3TTOO (Posts: 27; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
I remember an old Apple patent that was very small to the overall product:
Just search "slide-to-unlock" on here.