Jolla's Sailfish OS now compatible with Android hardware and apps
0. phoneArena 16 Sep 2013, 07:39 posted on
Finnish-based Jolla, responsible for the MeeGo-spinoff that is the Sailfish OS, has today announced that it has hit a major milestone by achieving compatibility with both Android apps, and the hardware that usually powers Google's OS...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
For a second I thought this was some type of flip phone or keyboard phone the way both sides come together. Interesting design, doesn't look bad though. With a design like this, it would be easy to make it bezel free on the front because there's so much to still hold onto.
Getting Google Play would have been great, I'd miss a lot of their services if I changed to this phone. It would be easier moving beyond that as long as the rest of my apps worked though. Can't wait for this to come out, hope they do well.
2. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3264; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
I think this OS would be more promising and could prove to be good in the near future. Man look at those skins and phone design (thought that two phones are stuck together :)) like something fresh-n-new, its just awesome.
3. zachattack (Posts: 604; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
That looks even cooler than android.. too bad we will never get so see it on our phones
4. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 1125; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Looks great. I like the design too... And support of android app is just fantastic . Could have been better if it support play store though.
looks promising... Would be better in future...
This will be a nice choice for those who want to try something fresh.
6. hboy857 (Posts: 315; Member since: 03 Jun 2013)
I really..... really....... want to slap Stephen Elop.
9. akki20892 (Posts: 3742; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Elop: r u kidding me
8. Jericho (Posts: 302; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
NOKIA isn't sold. Just the Mobile division and The LUMIA & ASHA branding have been sold.
Patents have been Licensed for 10 years.
NOKIA can make mobile phones again in 2016.
NOKIA is and always will be A Finnish company.
NOKIA is free from windows phone partnership.
Finally Stephen elop has been sent back to microSOFT.
11. dragonscourgex (Posts: 307; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Just a thought. Couldn't they make a dual boot device? Have it able to boot both Android and Salifish. Could they set it up in a way where they can share the same apps? Boot into Android to get the use of the Play Store, then boot into Sailfish and have access to all the same apps. Is that possible?
15. allawi (Posts: 17; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
In my Nokia n9, I have dual boot, Meego and Android. It's really cool. I am waiting our friends developer to make voice calling function.
12. papss (unregistered)
That is one ugly phone.. I have that design language right down to the speaker holes. I can't comment on sailfish as I've never used it.
13. -box- (Posts: 3933; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Hmm, I wonder if I could use this to breathe new life into the HTC Sensation that just collects dust?
14. iDroid8 (Posts: 155; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
as some sort of replacement or to fill in the void left by nokia....
well, wasn't that exactly the idea behind newkia?
16. mottykels (Posts: 372; Member since: 15 May 2013)
This is beteee than ubuntu os Im sure ;)
17. tasior (Posts: 261; Member since: 04 Nov 2012)
Jolla please be succesful and kick Elops ass.
18. ANANDALTER (Posts: 124; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
Will switch to Jolla / Sony Z series until nokia comes back as a solo player. St*&$ MS and Elop
20. tomakali (Posts: 15; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
Now, Google buys Jolla and migrates android to more optimized Jolla...
Or Microsoft buys Jolla and Kills it...