Jolla reveals Meego-based Sailfish OS for the first time
0. phoneArena 21 Nov 2012, 05:01 posted on
Just as expected, at the Slush conference in Finland today, Jolla has introduced its Meego-powered Sailfish OS for the very first time...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. No_Nonsense (Posts: 825; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
"Not much has been explained about the OS itself" for this there's a demo at 3PM GMT.
6. MeoCao (unregistered)
Looks nice and polish, much better than BB10 anyway.
Hopefully there will be some ground breaking innovation from Jolla.
32. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1040; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
yup hoping for more diversity than the existing OS and dead BB10....time for some competition to heat things up!
39. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
i dont really get why you all people say something horrible to BB10!!!!
i mean, to all company out there, RIM is the only one company that is making big effort to raise their company back! HP, Nokia their CEO is stupid! thats why somehow they deserve to be down coz of their CEO! while RIM, their CEO rocks!! He make he's best effort! he listen to the crackberry nation and thats why RIM and BlackBerry has loads of loyal fans!
but not saying jolla is bad.... since this is the real nokia and the true nokia! so im hoping to see them both!!!
2. No_Nonsense (Posts: 825; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
"Unfortunately, there's still no information when the first devices using the operating system might hit the market." 2013, with the device being unveiled in December.
3. superdenz_215 (Posts: 1; Member since: 05 Nov 2012)
Now this is what we call a new competitor! Android app compatibility blended with the classy, fluid Meego-like UI? This one's a keeper! :)
7. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2952; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
There's an Android bot at 0.49...the last frame!!
All in all, it's looking good. Being an open source OS makes it better...
4. jubbing (Posts: 149; Member since: 20 Aug 2008)
Meego with Android and a bit of Windows Phone is what it seems like it's become. I'd like to see the main demo later today.
8. MeoCao (unregistered)
It will be great if Nokia takes this route, Nokia can do much better.
10. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
That SHOULD'VE been Nokia's plan B.
Now they can shove it.
11. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Actually it should've and could've been their A plan.
It looks far better than Windows phone.. actually even that little glimpse shows the most beautifully designed OS out there IMO
16. jubbing (Posts: 149; Member since: 20 Aug 2008)
Yea totally man, far better than Windows Phone because it 'looks' better.
Windows Phone is already taking off (as it seems according to sold out stock of the 920 everywhere), this will never become Nokia's Plan anything.
18. asseek (Posts: 164; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
then we have to stop buying Nokia's WP devices in order to make it their plan B ;) :P
20. jubbing (Posts: 149; Member since: 20 Aug 2008)
This is technically based off Android as well, so if anything Android would be their Plan B. Not an unproven, late to the party OS, no matter how pretty it looks.
Let's not forget we have no idea how well it will work. If Nokia drop wp8, Microsoft will drop their funding.. and this OS by itself won't be enough to save them.
21. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Far better because it is the product that has true passion and knowledge behind it.
Complete opposite to Microsoft's forced half assed corporate philosophy.
It is made by best ex Nokia software engineers who had to leave the company because there were left with nothing to do!
And also far better for the little thing called android app support
24. jubbing (Posts: 149; Member since: 20 Aug 2008)
And it's coming out in 2013.. years after Windows Phone. Years after any other OS. Well that'll be nice.
12. dexter_jdr (Posts: 830; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
nokia is capable of putting this OS in their devices. if they want to. they probably will...
28. -box- (Posts: 3470; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
This is likely their plan B. Why else would they have helped Jolla get set up and developed so quickly? It may not be an open endorsement but someone inside Nokia is still giving MeeGo some love.
13. asseek (Posts: 164; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
i hope it is, but instead of being a plan B, i wish Nokia didn't dumped this amazing OS in the first place, and made it their plan A
9. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Oh I hope this eventually rises up to a serious open source challenge to Android.
14. aokde (Posts: 184; Member since: 09 Jul 2012)
now that jolla is competing, google will step their game up, and this way us users are most benefited :D go jolla go android :D
15. Ueliton (Posts: 34; Member since: 29 Aug 2012)
Looks like android with WP fonts and design language. Very beautiful! Hope it´s not laggy as first versions of android.
17. redmd (Posts: 761; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
go where actually? it's not yet here. looks nice though. it looks like an android skin. I wish they were a rebranded "Nokia" running on android. because apps are important.
19. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
If that android peaking at 0.49 means anything (and it surely isn't there for nothing ), this OS will support android apps
23. Bernoulli (Posts: 1165; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
Finally another alternative to Android! :) lol I wonder what will become of Elop if Jolla sells more phones than nokia
29. -box- (Posts: 3470; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Jolla seems like Nokia's secret weapon that they are unofficially putting a lot of support behind. Why else has it done so well so quickly?
35. Bernoulli (Posts: 1165; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
Eh because they got a grant of 260 million € and they are all ex nokia employees who know how to make phones? It's not like these guys are inexperienced, or that they formed the company out of college graduates :P
38. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
hoping....but no! jolla already said that they will not support N9 coz its not their product...but maybe hackers can do that...
remember project nitdroid? the N9 running android?
33. asseek (Posts: 164; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
no, as i read, Jolla will not support the N9, because it is a property of Nokia, so they don't have the right to make any change with the phone, unless i guess they come up with a deal with Nokia, either to buy the phone (if that even possible) or to be able support the N9.
Nokia has always been known with their support to all their phones, so they should let Jolla support the N9, and customers with N9 be able to update the OS to MeeGo Sailfish.
43. shadez10 (Posts: 364; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
yes you can... as stated on twitter you can install it on your N9 from developers... but not directly from jolla
26. allen83 (Posts: 104; Member since: 01 Mar 2012)
Go jolla! A true spirit of Nokia rises from the ashes! Stephen Elop just get out of Nokia!
34. asseek (Posts: 164; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
yea i wish they kick his a** out of Nokia, since he became the company's CEO, and Nokia is falling down, and he dumped the most OS capable of competing Android (am not bashing Android here), since both are open source OSes, and not limited for both the company, and the customers, Symbian was already going down, because they failed to keep up with the market needs.
27. dan86 (Posts: 297; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
Best thing is that apps compatibility of android apps. Windows mobile OS suffers the shortage of apps.
31. -box- (Posts: 3470; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Windows Mobile hasn't been around for years. Windows PHONE though...
And apps aren't everything. If the device can do a lot out of the box and the stuff you use is available online (as most stuff is), apps aren't that necessary. The only apps I have on my phone are games and a few productivity tools. Everything else is done via bookmarks (and LiveTiles) within IE
36. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5167; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
The OS looks really really cool. I can't wait to see Jolla come out with their own HARDWARE to show NOKIA HOW TO MAKE A OS without them. Damn the skin looks PRETTY DAMN GOOD. I just hope they come out with a hardware phone by CES 13'. WAY TO GO JOLLA!!
37. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
very blackberry 10... but very good looking... this kind of concept is what people of crackberry nation wanted on BB10, true multitasking that is like a widget.... but wow... im glad that jolla got the idea! but RIM is listening to the crackberry nation so its not impossible if they do the same!
and yeah... i've been out for a while! :)
40. omar98 (Posts: 30; Member since: 28 Aug 2011)
feels like windows phone and android combined
41. tumchaaditya (Posts: 53; Member since: 21 May 2012)
What was the Android robot doing in the video?
42. asseek (Posts: 164; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
the MeeGo OS can run Android apps and games