Jolla partners with the designers of some Nokia models for its upcoming Sailfish OS smartphone
0. phoneArena 11 Mar 2013, 08:22 posted on
Jolla, the company created by a number of ex-Nokia employees, is currently hard at work on its debut smartphone, which is going to be powered by the MeeGo-based SailFish user experience. The company is convinced that it'll be able to release its very first handset by the end of the year, which is great news, but aren't you willing to know exactly how this handset is going to look...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
WELCOME BACK JOLLA AND MEEGO!!! :)
R.I.P Symbian :(
20. Birds (Posts: 1139; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
I hate the name sailfish....of all speedy fish in the ocean with cool names.....they could have named it marlin, jack, trevally, mako, barricuda, pike, tiger fish, sworsfish, wahoo hell even a damn bonito.....gosh...I....hate....sailfish.....especially as creatures...
29. troutsy (Posts: 288; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
Totally agree. Sailfish ranks right between Zombies and North Korea on my "Top 10 worst things of all time" list.
2. PhoneArena. (banned) (Posts: 28; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
Welcome back E series.
I still have my E55 which I still love.
4. MC1123 (Posts: 1254; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
haha!!! nokia you will surely fail!! coz this is the REAL NOKIA!! not NOKIA LUMIA!!!
but im not saying that WP is bad, its just that its not for nokia! coz the REAL NOKIA that i know (and i think solid nokia fans know) is the one that makes good hardware and has its own OS/software! but now you only make good hardware but no software!
so i am really hoping you'll come to your senses and wake up and let jolla team join you again! use meego as your own platform coz it is very promising!
coz all WP devices looks the same! no difference with the UI... same goes with android (if you dont fork it like what amazon did with kindle fire) they all look the same.... symbian on the other hand is very versatile! before i actually think that manufacturers like samsung, sony and LG dont use symbian.. but they do! and they dont look exactly the same with each other! that's what versatility means to me! they dont look the same! while android on the other hand, just the UI but still they are the same!
but i accept if you dump symbian for meego but still hoping that let symbian power the low end smartphones instead of s**tty S40!
so again nokia join up with jolla and bring MeeGo back to life!
7. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
Some people like you are really sad people... still sticking to the past what what has happened, has happened. Either embrace the current trend or go for an alternative you prefer instead of sticking to the past. It's useless.
I do agree symbian should have been used for ashas, but probably they ditched it because it requires money to maintain and develop a smartphone OS. Nokia cant afford to waste money in their current predicament.
17. MC1123 (Posts: 1254; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
you do know that asha is nokia's current bread and butter right? so they better spend money on it coz if they dont they'll die.. and besides symbian dont require high end hardware or modern ones coz look at the 808 PV:
just nHD screen- which is i think even lower resolution than low end phones coz currently low end android phones has qHD or any other
ARM11- a decade old chip still performs best on a symbian phone coz it is optimize on that chp,
a broadcom GPU (prior to 808 PV) - not a fancy GPU unlike mali, adreno or nvidia GPUs
mere 256 to 512 MB of RAM - a pretty standard to low end but still performs task without lagging and can multitask without a sweat..
all of these is a low end phone's hardware... coz you might not see it but android just blind a lot of people with their "better or modern hardware performs the best" kinda thinking coz honestly, WP dont need multicore, WP is fluid like a water! iOS dont even need one... so nokia should do this to their low end! s40 cant tackle low end android, i only rarely saw people using ashas in my country coz mostly they use samsung galaxy phones or other cheaper phones from local manufacturers (like here in the philippines, Cherry mobile, myphone and starmobile is cheaper than asha but has a lot of potential.. and they have instagram and temple run that s40 cant have and WP dont have)
and read the comments on the asha phones on GSMArena, they keep on saying things like asha isnt worthy the money coz only 1GHz processor, not even 16M colors or with big RAM... thats why symbian has more potential to tackle android especially that symbian is the most power efficient os ever out there!
while meego, nokia need to have it coz you'll never know, nokia is sleeping with the enemy after what they did to them.... coz there's a sign that microsoft will make their own surface phone!
19. qjphone (Posts: 11; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
one problem high end GPUs and loads of RAM that is what the people and shareholders want don't have it then you don't need customers then plain and simple make what people want and you win do your own thing and you will FAIL
23. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
Speaking of low end, you get dup core processor and lag free performance on the Lumia 520 for USD $199 off contract - you cant find a new model Android phone with that kind of specs at that price range, u can opt for older models but it would mean they might not get SW updates. Asha are dumbphones, borderline dumbphones with some smart features, and people who go for such phones only care about calls, messages, music and email, and probably a long battery life. Nothing else.
25. Alex123 (Posts: 241; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
I don agree with you that nokia will surely fail. Nokia is the best among the best. but i also agree with that Nokia should use Meego as OS. I love Nokia N9 with Meego
5. Chiddu (Posts: 22; Member since: 02 Jul 2012)
I'm very happy with my nokia device and I'm not going to upgrade my device until real nokia device comes.
Guess os of my device
symbian,yes I'm using non touch symbian (s60v3) phone.
Modern day smartphones are really intelligent, smart and stupid.
People who are really disturbed and being distracted by modern day smartphones should try s60v3 fp2 symbian devices like nokia c5,e5 etc or belle nokia 808.
Continue thumbs ups and downs.
15. Kriksis (Posts: 86; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
Same with me...
Using E7 at the moment and don't intend to upgrade, but occasionally I use my old E51 when there is a need for ruggedness and toughness, for example on fishing trip...
6. jsdechavez (Posts: 708; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
I miss the metal feel in the hand of the E-series...
10. Reverence (Posts: 224; Member since: 16 Jul 2012)
itll b interesting to see how sailfish fights android
12. aco96 (Posts: 227; Member since: 12 Oct 2012)
Lumias are nice, but I miss Symbian phones, beacuse they had great features and design.
13. lubba (Posts: 1313; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
Apple and Google fanboys are more dedicated than these Nokian jokesters. They don't care about Nokia and its future. They just want the hardware aspect to feed their dead Symbian and Meego. They got Jolla to do it, still they bad mouth Nokia. You old-timer Nokian clowns need to retire in a nursing home.
14. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
A happy windows phone user here who followed on the trend leaving Symbian. Some of these people really need to wake up, like in my comment #7 above. They keep wanting to stick to what they like, although it's as good as dead. As much as i loved Symbian for the flexibility, web browsing was horrid.
18. cdgoin (Posts: 391; Member since: 28 Jul 2010)
But that would mean thier first phone is a QWERTY.. and ask anyone around her. QWERTY is dead and no one wants it in a high end phone. I think those people are stupid.. but thats what they are saying.
21. daftastic (Posts: 87; Member since: 07 Jan 2013)
No it doesn't. Infinity also designed the Huawei Ascend P2. That's not a qwerty phone.
Besides, Jolla Sailfish was designed exclusively around touch gestures. A qwerty in its way would hamper the experience.
24. mipeka (Posts: 1; Member since: 12 Mar 2013)
I work for Infinity, and have to correct this - we did not design the P2. Just a rumor that was copied from other blogs.
Just wait and you will see. ;)
26. daftastic (Posts: 87; Member since: 07 Jan 2013)
Well hope it's nothing with qwerty. Other than that Jolla is in good hands. ;)
22. Chiddu (Posts: 22; Member since: 02 Jul 2012)
It seems that there are so many symbian fans and users like me.
Nokia should produce symbian phones by replacing s40 in newer asha phones.
For android fans, who think that their os is the best:
1. You can't rotate screen whenever you want, most of the apps are locked to a single orientation even the stock ones. In the symbian case almost all apps can be used at any orientation even games can be rotated for example asphalt 4 can be played in landscape and in portrait on the same device.
2. You can't go locking your device when using an app, it'll drain your battery. You have to close those apps to avoid battery drain. In the case of symbian, they were optimised for different conditions like locked, app switched, at homescreen and will work accordingly.
3. Apps on android run on a virtual machine and won't run natively.
4. Android kills app performance. See ios for example dual core iphone 4s and 5 can easily beat galaxy s3 even when running single app.
5. Symbian apps can be developed using Symbian c++, open c/c++, java, flash lite, python, qt etc. Ios only support objective c. Android supports java, c/c++, flash(removed from 4.0 onwards).
Most of the symbian features are being hid by stephen elop team. He should leave the company.
Windows phone just sucks, it is far behind android and not even close to ios.
30. -RVM- (Posts: 331; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Can't wait for first Jolla phone. I don't think my 808 will be obsolete for me by then (it's still the best device on market for me), but still it's good to know that there will be device that follows Nokia tradition in both HW and SW (Lumias are not).