Jolla outs The Other Half: first Sailfish OS phone sports snap-on design and Android apps
0. phoneArena 20 May 2013, 05:06 posted on
Jolla's announcement of the first phone with the Meego-based Sailfish OS is but a few hours away, yet the handset, with the working title The Other Half, was already outed in terms of specs, design and pricing...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
13. eisenbricher (Posts: 922; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
I was soo waiting for this phone! And the best thing? Today is my Birthday and they are launching this phone :D Best gift!!
Phone looks drop down gorgeous and Android app compatibility is
56. MC1123 (Posts: 1210; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
it is awesome indeed! both BlackBerry 10 and salfish OS will be a good contender for android and iOS coz of their ability to run android apps! which WP lacks and its ecosystem is soooo small! BlackBerry 10 catches up with the app ecosystem against WP and i'm pretty sure that jolla will catch up as well coz of the same reason, it can run android apps and Qt apps are plenty (symbian apps and meego apps are more than 100,000!)
58. dan86 (Posts: 297; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
Very nice looks and the android app support is great step to sail in smartphone game.
17. tadaa (Posts: 132; Member since: 18 Apr 2013)
Cool right? I remember when i was waiting for a low-cost wp8 phone and they announced the 620 on my birthday
35. xperiaDROID (Posts: 3736; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
So......wishing people happy birthday is punny?
So...... I can't wish people happy jolla birthday?
Dude, you have a buttload of nonsense, or I mean no sense at all.
34. eisenbricher (Posts: 922; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
lol Troll are you thumbing down the dudes above??
37. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Is that coming from you eisenbricher?
Why would i thumb down those, that's off key, and low class! Who ever it was, is a sick person thumbing you down on you're birthday™
41. eisenbricher (Posts: 922; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Sorry man didn't mean that way...
PS: I didn't thumb you down
46. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
Another beautiful handset with beautiful OS!
52. akki20892 (Posts: 1675; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
it's calles sexy phone with sexy OS. great job jolla team, many best of lucks to your future.......!!!
2. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1476; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
This OS actually looks half decent unlike Mozilla Firefox which just looks plain dull and rubbish. jolly have actually listened to today's market and created a quite brilliant gesture based UI by the looks of it!
3. scriptwriter (Posts: 387; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
Dont what it is about green phones but they just look wrong. Picture 6 where the phone is mint-choc-chip green, looks vile. My younger bro had the samsung galaxy P (galaxy spica) in white but had option of a green backcover and that looked wrong on a phone too.
On another note, this phone seems abit pricey for mid range specs. Unless they have some very sophisticated/UI software on it, i cant see them even making a dent on Apple or Android
30. picka_vi_materina (Posts: 146; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
Check out the UI on youtube. There are lots of videos. As for the color green, it depends on choice. I like all my devices black, personally.
4. dexter_jdr (Posts: 832; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
hory sh!t its like they slapped two phones :D
5. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 650; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
JOLLA TAKE MY MONEY
WALLET PLEASE DON'T CRY
6. rahulz (Posts: 115; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
Wow.. I'm impressed...
hope sailfish os will be a lag free OS with impressive features like multitasking,innovative ui, and other cool features..
by the way very nice design
best of luck jolla..
29. picka_vi_materina (Posts: 146; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
It is already running lag free on Nokia N9 which is an OMAP3630 device with single core and an old GPU ;)
59. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 650; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
so will it be possible to get it running on my currently awesome N9 untill i can afford one ?
31. picka_vi_materina (Posts: 146; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
But I am sure you love the "new" S4 design!
61. jamil_m7 (Posts: 15; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
i liked the s3 design and the s4 came up just like it so good enough.
and what i care about is the new octa-core proccessor lol.
8. N-fanboy (Posts: 343; Member since: 12 Jan 2013)
Beautiful! but why is the volume rocker on the right?
32. picka_vi_materina (Posts: 146; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
That is the proper position. Every device has the rocker on the right.
9. alterecho (Posts: 465; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Hope Jolla is Nokia's backup plan!
Also, a quick search reveals that Estrade means raised platform in French.
10. windroid (unregistered)
I like the way the phone looks, let’s see how Sailfish OS works, hope we have another competitor in the smartphone field.
11. lhtbinh1909 (Posts: 46; Member since: 02 Apr 2013)
The phone itself look so cool, evolution in design, look like 2 chassis in one phone. Compatibility with Android apps, that's all I need.
12. giri555 (Posts: 95; Member since: 15 Mar 2012)
looks weird....two phones slapped on each other....i wonder why the f**k do these companies make such s**tty designs....minimalistic, classy ones are so few...
14. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1476; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Good design is different with different people you may not like it but others may...
60. DHILLON_ARSH (Posts: 66; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
I LIKE THE PHONE,ITS PRICE ANDROID COMPATIBILITY ND OVERALL CONCEPT BUT I JST DON'T LIKE ITS NAME....ITS KINDA TOYISH NAME
LIKE SM1 ASKS
HEY , WHAT PHONE IS THAT
MM, ITS A *JOLLA*
15. funnyguy (Posts: 208; Member since: 10 Jan 2013)
I like Finish girls...
But unfortunately I hate finish Phones...
26. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Hey funnyguy, you're back! it's good to be back, welcome back
40. galaxymega6.3 (banned) (Posts: 33; Member since: 08 May 2013)
i don't like both jolla and Nokia and you're right
19. Lyngdoh (Posts: 163; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
The UI looks neat but the phone..it too thick for today's size.
20. xperiaDROID (Posts: 3736; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Gorgeous! Can't wait to get my hands on it!
25. Samsomesh (Posts: 180; Member since: 11 Jun 2012)
Great work jolla..! The phone Looks good.. Good luck to them...
36. deburocks (Posts: 126; Member since: 20 Apr 2013)
All the very best to jolla. Hope it is a backup by nokia for future. Though the design is nt bad but thickness is a big issue frankly. Otherwise i really like thin bezels n proper utilization f screen.
38. redea (Posts: 5; Member since: 08 Feb 2013)
One persons waste is another mans treasure. Nokia abandoned meego n jolla made good use of it! well done jolla!
45. berry889 (Posts: 10; Member since: 01 Apr 2013)
like macklemore's "Thrift Shop" lyrics.. One man's trash is another man come up
39. AhmadAlsayegh (Posts: 228; Member since: 18 Jul 2011)
i wouldn't be surprised if Nokia secretly owned Jolla, might this be plan B nokia was talking about at some point?
42. XXXperia (unregistered)
may wp rest in peace
44. skinny95black (Posts: 46; Member since: 06 Jan 2013)
Yep the same as the N9 no buttons on the front what so ever I hope to see the N10 very soon
48. aco96 (Posts: 150; Member since: 12 Oct 2012)
Nokia was so stupid....N900 & N9 were best Nokia phones.
Good luck Jolla, and thank you for reviving MeeGo. :)
49. deburocks (Posts: 126; Member since: 20 Apr 2013)
hahaha. Well i guess im nt d only crazy nokia fan, who also vouches for meego( jolla ). gud to see so many people welcome jolla and giving a ray of hope to nokia for future.. Yup hope jolla is nokia,s plan b . It will seriously hurt all the droids badly if it cud support android apps and may b playstore( to satisfy the needs f all those gossip mongers, crying out loud about deficiency in apps in windows ).....cheeers
53. roscuthiii (Posts: 1602; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Good luck to Jolla! Looks interesting... About the only thing I'm not sure about is the seam where it snaps together. Doesn't really look like they just fit together elegantly.
55. a_tumiwa (Posts: 125; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
i hope some big manufacturers like LG, Samsung, HTC, Sony, Huawei will adopt this OS