Jolla launches first gesture-based Sailfish OS phone: customizable halves, Android app compatibility
0. phoneArena 28 Nov 2013, 03:14 posted on
Jolla, the spin-off created by ex-Nokia employees, has just put its first smartphones up for grabs, though initially it only gave 450 units to people attending the launch event physically in Finland. That didn't prevent co-founder Marc Dillon to brag in an interview for the BBC that "we've created a world-class platform. Users will be getting more choice"...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
3. woodshop20 (Posts: 459; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
Yes! If Google ever goes the way of Apple, this will be the OS I'll move to. Need a lower price for those specs though.
5. zunaidahmed (Posts: 809; Member since: 24 Dec 2011)
nokia should have just add support to meego to run android apps. Then N9 could have been a big hit.
17. picka_vi_materina (Posts: 174; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
The N9 already was a big hit, even without Android apps. Elop sold limited its market reach and yet it outsold the Lumias. N9 had support from everyone, but Nokia.
6. Loubielou (Posts: 508; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Hope this phone is succesful,as these old Nokia employees are going to show that Nokia an Mr Elops an there Microsoft Plan will easily be beaten,they lost there Jobs because of Mr Elop announce on Febuary 11th the date that will always Haunt Nokia"Symbian is Dead",i switched to Android soon as Microsoft had some involvement with Nokia an the Windows choice,hope we have a Only Fools an Horses Day a "Jolly Boys Outing" with the Group of People
8. hmd74 (Posts: 477; Member since: 31 Jan 2013)
What's the difference between Android and an OS that can run android apps?!
And wy should I choose this over android?!?
(Not trolling...just asking)
18. picka_vi_materina (Posts: 174; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
Android runs only Android apps. This runs Sailfish apps, but also Android apps. See the difference and has the best UI.
31. tasior (Posts: 265; Member since: 04 Nov 2012)
Jolla is designed to be easily operated with one hand. This is quite rare feature among smartphones these days.
9. Jericho (unregistered)
2016--Nokia buys Jolla.
10. GeekMovement (Posts: 2156; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
Awesome! Would be pretty if all the different back covers had the jolla logo. Spread the jolla brand some love!
20. picka_vi_materina (Posts: 174; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
Does it matter? Is the phone in any case slow? Or do you need the specs just for bragging rights? This OS has more effort put into it than Android which should be appreciated. It's more about the software than hardware and it delivers.
13. Username. (banned) (Posts: 74; Member since: 25 Nov 2013)
Great platform, and superb edge 2 edge, sharp corners device. But a big let down by the specs: fail!
What were they thinking? With low specs ike this.
21. picka_vi_materina (Posts: 174; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
What advantage would you have with the specs, seriously? Android is a resource hog and is the only area where they can cheat people into buying a new Android. Oh, but this GS4 opens an app faster than the GS3 by 0.00000000123 seconds. Apreciate the effort that has gone into this software. The specs are perfect.
27. rdaex (Posts: 148; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Agreed.. my GS3 took 10-15 seconds to open the SMS list... vs my BB10 device that opens an entire hub of messages in an instant with one swipe.
But yea, the GS3 was so much better...
14. Meego (Posts: 8; Member since: 11 Nov 2013)
Its low as compared to its price. But any one that as used meego will know it worth's it. Meego OS doesn't rely too much on specs to perform well even to play games. The OS is well optimized. Wish that it had 2gb ram though. N9 performs well still even with its age!,
15. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3718; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Android app compatibility is a great plus.
16. Diego! (Posts: 574; Member since: 15 Jun 2009)
If the OS goes as fast as in the video, I may give it a try. It looks speedy and lag free. Very nice! Go Jolla Go!
22. picka_vi_materina (Posts: 174; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
An early build of this worked flawless on the N9's single core TI OMAP 3630. This brings it at a whole new level ;) Trust this team, they haven't disappointed.
19. philfoster (Posts: 34; Member since: 01 Mar 2012)
Sailfish sounds like Selfish... Jolla sounds like Ulala
23. GoBears (Posts: 449; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Looks great to me. If the camera has Nokia'ish quality and runs android apps as good as an android handset....look out!
24. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 805; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
So this was the device from Nokia which was tested with Android and then Nokia switched focus to Windows.. Maybe thats why a group of people detached from Nokia to form this comapny due to difference of opinion...
25. samuelwaltner88 (Posts: 2; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
looking good! they could be a real good competition
26. rdaex (Posts: 148; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Looks very similar to BlackBerry10, so Im sure everyone will bag on it for being weird, difficult, and hope for the company to go out of business now right?
No... everyone is praising it for being interesting and innovative? Weird.. its almost like the tech world plays favorites...
28. jroc74 (Posts: 6005; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Derived from Meego? I always hear good things about Meego. Cant wait to try one out.
30. valdo_the_noob (Posts: 2; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
The phone's not named "the first one" that's just a limited edition back cover that the first preorder batch gets. It's named simply the jolla phone. And the front facing camera is 2.0Mp? Jolla has its own store with sailfish os app's and is partnered with android yandex store, though i have understood that amazon store and side loading from play store works also.
32. snowgator (Posts: 3583; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Here is to them. Wish nothing but success. This is an "eat your young" world in mobile, and this is an uphill war for them. But MeeGo had a few supporters- at least they have a launching point.
33. Kaiser2007 (Posts: 173; Member since: 16 Nov 2013)
Please put the Sailfish on 808 PureView, and reduce the price.