Jimmy Kimmel's iPhone 5 makes us more disappointed in the iPhone 4S
1. Sniggly (Posts: 7199; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
LOL, great video. And yes, on to Nexus Prime rumors!
Sorry that your notion about Apple releasing matured products had to be shattered though. :(
4. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2693; Member since: 26 May 2011)
I still contend that in general it is true. As I said, notifications is a more mature system than that of Android. iPhone's camera app is still better than stock Android. And, regardless of the limited languages, I expect the recognition of Siri will be at least on par with Google, if not better because it is still powered by Nuance.
Still, it's a nice reminder of why I gave up on the iPhone in the first place.
5. Sniggly (Posts: 7199; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Okay, fair enough. But I'll laugh if Google leapfrogs those advantages with the announcement of ICS before the 4S is even released. :)
2. joke (unregistered)
I think iphone 5 is just a decoy...
A decoy from Apple to ward off the casing manufacture from China.
I wonder what would happened to all the iphone 5 casing manufactured in china.
6. remixfa (Posts: 14224; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
ok, michael, i have to call you out.. you keep saying that ios5 notifications are more mature than android notifications, though android has been refining theirs since the beginning of android, and iOS is blatantly stealing them from android. They have never had it launch on a mass scale to find the bugs in it, so what exactly is "more mature" about apple's new "androidified" notifications compared to android's notifications? Am I missing something, because it just seems like your giving apple an auto pass on how good their code is... before it even launches.
8. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2693; Member since: 26 May 2011)
1) Apple isn't just stealing from Android, it's taking from webOS as well.
2) I say more matured because it has more features than Android's notifications, and a better back end. Apple's notifications have live update capabilities, which Android doesn't. Apple has better interaction with notifications, where Android is simply touch-to-launch. And, Apple has a better push notification system already built-in to iOS, which will help its notifications. Right now, very few non-Google apps take advantage of push notifications, and even the ones that do are kind of wonky (like the official Twitter app.)
Of course, I'm personally hoping that everything I'm saying will become moot next Tuesday, but we have to wait and see on that.
11. remixfa (Posts: 14224; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
and its stealing from WP7 with that twitter integration just like WP7's facebook integration.
iOS5.. a jack of all.. theives.
12. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2693; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Nice to know that you took away absolutely nothing from my last mobile competition column...
14. biophone (Posts: 1896; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
Mike he is a fanboy as i have tried to tell everyone before of course he didnt learn anything. Your the only neutral one here.
15. ngo2dd (Posts: 813; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
Dude he is a the Taco for Android. As much as I hate to say it, the lock screen notifications for Apple is better then Android. Given some skin of Android have similar feature.
20. remixfa (Posts: 14224; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
how many "taco for android"s do you see that defend apple against other android fans when they say something innacurate? the problem with you ibots is if someone isnt firmly in your camp, they MUST be firmly in the other camp. Your narrow view of thinking doesnt change the fact that I am not some blind fanboy.
And after months of taco, miz, gallito, and the gang yacking on and on and on about how much this announcement was gonna change the game again and blow away anything android could think up... just to have this crap announcement.. you should expect a lot of backlash and hazing. there is a lot of back and forth in the boards, and you have been a part of it every step fo the way.
Exactly what do you think is going to happen if the ICS/nexus prime announcement is a total flop?? it will be just like yesterday but with you ibots going bonkers. dont be a hippocrite.
19. remixfa (Posts: 14224; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
yes, on apple announcement day i take off my mediator cap and put on my android fanboy cap and goof off for the day. Especially after an iFail announcement like we saw yesterday. But unlike you guys, i go back to being mostly middle of the road when the dust settles.
i read the column. I wasnt as big of a fan of the "great artists steal" part as it gave a lot of passes to apple for their blatant thievery. Mostly its because they scream and try to sue everyone for the most minor things while stealing the biggest features from other OS's. The hypocracy really turns me off. You notice you got many praises from iFanatics from that part of the piece as it helps them justify the hypocracy. Still well written, i just dont agree with it.
13. nb2six (Posts: 298; Member since: 27 Apr 2011)
It's ok MichaelH. Some people are just mad at the world 24/7
17. Azure01 (Posts: 126; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Lol that was definitely funnier than I expected.