Jelly Bean more than doubles its share of the Android ecosystem
0. phoneArena posted on 03 Dec 2012, 18:21
This month wasn't a big change in the Android platform version distribution chart, but there was a bit of movement, and a fairly large jump specifically for Jelly Bean, which more than doubled its share of the Android ecosystem...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
13. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 03 Dec 2012, 19:18 5 0
The difference between ICS and JB is not big so many will skip ICS and move to JB.
20. Nadr1212 posted on 03 Dec 2012, 20:47 0 0
I'm gonna be moving to JB pretty soon, just gotta wait till Decwmber 15, or later in December
25. RapidCat posted on 04 Dec 2012, 00:16 1 0
so you are xperia user?
29. SuperAndroidEvo posted on 04 Dec 2012, 07:34 0 1
Android world dominance is HUGE. It will take time to go & eclipse 2.3 Gingerbread. There are hundreds of millions of Android devices. It will take time but it is moving.
Android is JUST too huge but the progress made is still pretty good. Little by little. Imagine how someone’s world will change once they move from Android 2.3 Gingerbread to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich to 4.2 Jelly Bean. lol
3. networkdood posted on 03 Dec 2012, 18:35 0 0
So, about a third of the phones now have JB. I wonder if this counts all devices, even ones with a custom ROM? I have HellyBean 4.2.1 on my captivate and a 4.2.1 CM10 rom on my Droid RAZR - love having the real deal on my nexus 7 device.
7. MobileCaseReview posted on 03 Dec 2012, 18:45 3 0
Pretty jealous on the 4.2 ports haha. Some devs are still porting it over for the ATT note 2. can't wait!!!
19. nyuvo posted on 03 Dec 2012, 20:30 0 0
Only 6.7% have JB. But added to that the percentage of people on ICS and you get about a third (I assume that is what you meant).
But it is great news. I'm running 4.1.2 on my motorola defy (yes a two year old device) with a stable port of 4.2.1 in the works
21. networkdood posted on 03 Dec 2012, 21:07 0 0
D'UH...sorry - I meant just 4.0+ which is ICS and JB - sorry about that
8. Aeires (unregistered) posted on 03 Dec 2012, 18:53 5 0
GB is to Android what XP is to Windows, just won't go away. Lot of phones with GB are coming due for a two year contract upgrade, wouldn't be surprised to see those numbers dropping more sharply next quarter.
9. wendygarett posted on 03 Dec 2012, 18:57 4 0
some people just happy to own a gingerbread phone, they just don't wanna let go thier sweet memories :)
10. AWiseGuy posted on 03 Dec 2012, 19:01 5 0
I'm still rocking Gingerbread on my phone and it's just so nice! It'll be cool to upgrade to a phone with Jelly Bean, though.
12. lzsbleach posted on 03 Dec 2012, 19:18 3 0
Yea you might need to upgrade, trust me your missing out.
16. AWiseGuy posted on 03 Dec 2012, 19:34 4 0
Oh I know I am. My brother has a Nexus 7 and I've gotten to play around with 4.2. It's wonderful.
33. andynaija posted on 04 Dec 2012, 16:57 0 0
I know I! remember when I wanted Gingerbread beacause it looked so cool especially the new black status bar but hopefully I'l be getting the Nexus 4 sometime next year unless a newer device comes out.
11. wsucoug13 posted on 03 Dec 2012, 19:13 5 0
Jelly Bean needs to get out there on more devices. I feel as though ICS was a huge step forward for android and Jelly Bean just refined and perfected it. Loving it on my Nexus 10, waiting for the update to my GSIII
14. yowanvista posted on 03 Dec 2012, 19:26 0 0
I pity those still stuck with that rotten obsolete Gingerbread, they're missing out a lot.
15. InspectorGadget80 posted on 03 Dec 2012, 19:29 0 0
ICS won't be a huge diffrence in the PIE since its ICS for 2012 2013 is JELLY BEAN time. That's the phone and OS I'm waiting to purchase next spring
18. Zero0 posted on 03 Dec 2012, 20:17 5 0
I've been rocking a Droid 2 for a while, so I'm still among the 50% on Gingerbread. However, after being quite disenchanted with update cycles being on the carriers' terms, I bought a Nexus 4. I'll jump from 2.3 to 4.2, and be among the first on 4.3 or 5.0, whichever is next.
23. networkdood posted on 03 Dec 2012, 21:16 0 2
For those who have a Galaxy S3 - try this JB 4.2.1 ROM -http://hellybean.com/download.
24. Nikolas.Oliver (limited) 4 days ago posted on 03 Dec 2012, 22:50 5 0
The gingerbread is like windows xp in computer word.... It just won't go away even though the newer version has been released
Gb = xp
Ics = vista
Jb = 7
Key lime pie (?) = 8
28. Grishm posted on 04 Dec 2012, 02:51 2 0
Windows Vista was a flop whereas ICS had a successful run.
31. Zero0 posted on 04 Dec 2012, 14:28 0 0
Yeah, it's not really a good parallel, unless we're talking about Vista SP2 (where they fixed a lot of the problems). ICS was universally well-received and is a leap forward in design. JB is just a polishing.
Gingerbread is XP, Honeycomb is Vista, Ice Cream Sandwich is 7, and Jelly Bean is 7 SP1.
26. nando2do posted on 04 Dec 2012, 00:51 0 0
android has to stop this, one update every year should be fine instead of 2, that keeps everyone felling behind
32. Zero0 posted on 04 Dec 2012, 14:29 0 0
They are only doing one big update a year. 4.2 isn't major.
Even if they did, it would be irrelevant. 5.0's release won't make Jelly Bean any worse of an OS. Not releasing 5.0 doesn't make Jelly Bean any better.
It's probably better to have some on 5.0 and many on GB/ICS/JB, rather than all on GB/ICS/JB. That way, at least a few people get more cutting edge features.
27. Tsepz_GP posted on 04 Dec 2012, 01:45 0 0
Gingerbread is where Android really had matured, it gave a great balance of Speed, UI consistancy and memory efficiency and in 2.3.4 and higher it had partial multicore support. If you own a phone on GB apps wise you really arent missing out on much except maybe Chrome.
34. MC1123 posted on 04 Dec 2012, 18:00 0 0
wow...GB is still huge..
i wonder why it takes so long for GB to ICS?
but JB grows so fast! might outnumber ICS soon!