Jelly Bean and the changes it's expected to bring
0. phoneArena 26 Jun 2012, 08:21 posted on
Android's Jelly Bean update has been expected for quite some time, and as you're probably aware, it's almost certain that it will finally be officially introduced tomorrow at Google I/O. With that in mind, some of you may have lost the track of the changes and improvements that are rumored to be part of Jelly Bean...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Seems pretty solid. Unlike iOASS 6 - these are actually very significant because they will affect every device running 4.1.
3. davecann2 (Posts: 460; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
Couldn't resist not posting without a cheap shot at Apple could you? hahaha
4. ilia1986 (unregistered)
17. good2great (Posts: 1042; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
very funny when the guy doesn't even own an android device...lol
106. Otterbox (banned) (Posts: 71; Member since: 27 Jun 2012)
How does this comment not get moderated? I see several comments below that got moderated even though they didn't break any rules. This one clearly is.
OS favoritism at its finest.
47. maxican16 (Posts: 364; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
Blame the author.. I think he must've spent all of five minutes coming up with this list. There are a LOT of possibilities which aren't even touched upon here. If you're interested, check this out:
58. b.positive (Posts: 12; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
true... what about better support for multicore processors?
6. wendygarett (unregistered)
No more flash??
That's sad :(
If this is true im waiting for new iPhone...
22. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Flash content is getting lower and lower. Soon, all Flash content will be replaced in HTML5. Don't get a f**king iPhone, flash isn't the only reason to have an Android phone. Far from it, actually.
24. Synack (Posts: 677; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
Flash content may be getting replaced by HTML5, but neither your nor I know how soon this will be. Flash is a big deal to me and I want to be able to have it. If it's not around when the IP5 comes out I will be getting it. Unless the IP5 is an ugly piece of garbage with a weak glass structure and no LTE capabilities.
27. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
No other operating systems support Flash either. Just because one doesn't, you're going to switch to the other... that STILL doesn't?
Seems legit. Your choice, I guess.
Also, how big of a deal is it? I don't use it that often, actually.
30. axllebeer (Posts: 271; Member since: 05 Apr 2011)
Since the BlackBerry PlayBook supports Flash, it's extreamly likely that BB10 will as well, if it ever gets here.
36. BuckeyeCadet86 (Posts: 77; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
nope bb10 doesn't support flash they said that it will support html5 but not flash.
29. MEeee (Posts: 332; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Without flash, iUsers won't be able to see how slow their 3G speed iPhone 4S compared Tmobile 4G phones.
34. HTCFreak (Posts: 156; Member since: 17 Jul 2010)
Haha, this is funny. Before, we were saying: lol iOS sucks ass because it doesn't have flash, and now we are saying: pff, who needs flash anyway... oh boy, we are trolls :p
55. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Exactly no flash sucks when it's the iPhone, but if android doesn't support it who needs flash.
A website full of android trolls
68. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
No, lack of flash still hurts the iphone and ICS still supports flash - so nothing has changed until everything has switched to HTML5.
57. Aaron_R96 (Posts: 198; Member since: 22 Jan 2012)
Oh yeah.. forgot iphones have ALWAYS had flash..
60. denied911 (banned) (Posts: 361; Member since: 31 May 2012)
I love flash too
hang in there man
8. VJo003 (Posts: 356; Member since: 11 Mar 2012)
Still to get 4.1 on my veteran HTC Desire HD
9. Mitchel (Posts: 228; Member since: 25 May 2012)
Not big of improvement.. Much like Froyo to Gingerbread.. iOS6 > Justin Bieber
20. Evil_SaNz (Posts: 259; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
Yeah iOS6 is revolutionary: holographic projector, tricorder and...worse maps. Also fresh new UI if I'm correct
26. Synack (Posts: 677; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
iOS6 is......... m a g i c a l. Oh wait, it's another update playing catchup to Android. Not so awesome, just gives you some of the stuff we already have.
12. imran_khan0786 (Posts: 61; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
Nothing different in this os. But I will go for wp8 only.
25. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Nah, if you've been following what Google normally does with their updates, there's a major update and then a minor stability update. 2.2 - major, 2.3 - minor. 4.0 - major, 4.1 - probably going to be another minor unless Google has something big in store.
48. maxican16 (Posts: 364; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
14. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Let's wait for tomorrow and I guess we will see more. :)
15. JunitoNH (Posts: 1589; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
All I can say is, wow. ICS was realeased in October, and Google already realising another version.
16. maxkobi (Posts: 30; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
voice assistant would just be a more glorified Google voice search... which already works just as good if not better then Siri! a better keyboard would be awesome because i think the stock one is already amazing and it can only get better! and remember everyone just because Google chrome doesn't support flash it doesn't mean you cant get dolphin or something similar to use flash!
18. Evil_SaNz (Posts: 259; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
JB should be a performance upgrade mostly.
but stock Android itself doesn't come with a file manager
I have a stock file manager in any android device I own.
63. denied911 (banned) (Posts: 361; Member since: 31 May 2012)
it depends from manufacturer
samsung has it htc no :P
21. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
Not a major upgrade but stil, worth considering. Froyo was still a lot better than eclair by a margin.
Especially when matched with hardware, true potential will show. I'm sure the Asus Nexus Tablet will be in it's full glory when it comes out with a better tablet UI, Majel and HTML 5 with better system APIs etc. Adobe Flash is stil, somewhat a loss since a lot of video sites still run on flash. :(
I hope the Transformer Prime gets the update next to the Gnex.
28. breathlesstao (Posts: 80; Member since: 16 Apr 2010)
I'd rather see the music player improved. Not being able to delete tracks/albums from within the app is inexcusable, as is the ancient widget that does no justice to the fancy UI of ICS.
31. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
1)flash will still be available on android, just not part of the chrome browser. Not supporting it after ICS and the jellybean update are not the same thing. ICS is the base for android "4.0". JB is just Android "4.1", so its the same system with minor upgrades. Flash isnt going to be dropped. Maybe in a few years when we see Android 5.0 and HTML5 is the dominant web form (its far from it) we will see flash dropped, but I highly doubt it any sooner than that. Chrome still has a little ways to go to catch up to opera as far as browsers go, so I dont think it should be the main browser until its on par with the competition... thats just me though.
2) im tired of the Siri comparisons. Test after Test shows that android's voice commands are STILL superior to Siri in what they can do and how accurate it is. Heck there was just an article what.. yesterday.. claiming that exact thing. Google isnt "catching up" to anything, they are simply making the evolutionary steps that are next in line. Android has had voice assisting since android 1.5 through Vlingo (which IS what S-Voice runs on) and have had native voice commands since what.. android 2.0? You cant "catch up" when you are the leader.
35. SleepingOz (unregistered)
couldn't agree more!
37. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
flash is dying remix just accepted. Jobs new it.. we know and Androids knows it.. so please accept it..now I understand when they say Apple is catching up to Android.... because Android moves so fast that ICS is on 7% (according to latest report) and now Jelly Bean.. yes Apple and Android users are catching up to Android.. yes sir..
40. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
He never said it wasn't going to be dropped. Just not soon. It will be dropped, just VERY slowly over the next 5 years at the least.
And keep in mind that Froyo and Gingerbread users had what iOS users have now. You keep insisting that because ALL devices (well, most. and don't forget to count the extra FRAGMENTATION in iOS 6) have the newest OS from Apple, that the OS is better. No, it's not.
Froyo and GB will still be better than the next iOS version updates for YEARS to come. You just don't get it, do you? I'm sick of your s**t.
42. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
well it sucks for you .. but he did said it. not in this article but knows he did.. as far as gingerbread being better than iOS well that is up to debate.. Jelly bean should not happen when not even ICS is not in most Androids. again sucks for you that you are tired of me.. really
59. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
dying and dead are 2 separate things gallito. You are DYING every moment of your life, but you are far from DEAD. It will be another 2-5 years before HTML5 takes over as the dominant form of internet media.
you just want it to hurry up and die because you are tired of all the little boxes with "?" in them denoting that you need flash to see what's there on your browser.
66. iamcc (Posts: 1319; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
Great analogy... I was about to post pretty much the same thing.
67. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
you agreed with me as I said dying.. not dead.. and yes flash is dying... 2 years no device will support flash. remember Android devices don't live more than 2 years. only a few make it... browsing without flash is wonderful and in that Android has a lot of catching up to Apple..
ps. love how you don't answer with a straight answer when you are wrong.. is cool you have a reputation here
85. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
yes, of course flash is being phased out. no one questions that. But see, here's the difference. Android users dont care as we are not forced to choose one tech over another. We get both flash AND HTML5. We get today's internet and tomorrows internet.
The beauty of it is, by the time you upgrade your iphone to the next iphone, flash will more than likely STILL be the dominant web media form, and you will STILL not be getting the full internet. In the mean time, android users had full internet yesterday, today, and we will on our next upgrade.
88. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
soi you are telling me that you are used to watching the internet will all the useless ads and pictures and will adjust to just being able to browse the internet with only the important stuff.. I doubt it.. you fandroids are spoiled and will cry when flash is no longer available.. it has always been that way ask for the future instead of enjoying ..today..
91. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
flash that makes ur website interactive and expressive. feautres ranging from feedback
forms to games and movies. Plus there are no
issues with cross browser compatibility when
using Flash. As such u dont have to worry about
Html codes being interpreted diffrently by diffrent
net browser.... if Flash is dead why do u or ur computer have it. is that why mac use Flash player.
You talk nonsense and bogus. come with hard logical facts. U wish ur iPhone had flash, but it's
ur self ego that kicks in... why hide the truth when u no u want it!
94. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
ohh boy were I go again for the fandroids that dispute things without knowing... f-l-a-s-h is dying on cell phones.. Android is moving on without it. don't mix computers or laptops. please.. at least not here..
95. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
its not dieing. it will have flash but with no updates. flash player 11 is more than needed.
is that ehy u iPhone users have to use Skyfire.
So ur telling me u dont like to browse the web full but half. just like ur ios is half baked. and its not Linux. its Zoombie lalaland Darwin OS.
Steve blwjob didnt like or love Flash due to battery and Ram hog, which ios wasnt capeable of.... u iFans and ur Egoes kick in and why hide the truth. The truth herts. Get over it Galli.....!?
97. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
if flash is so great why is it going away..??? hmmm explain that one. hurting.. why am I hurting, nobody is taking anything from my web browsing. unlike .... you.. you are the one butt hurt that your beloved flash.. is well fading
99. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Ads are everywhere. you cant get away from them. period. i dont care about ads.
the only whining I see are from people that dont have flash capability that want it to die so they can get the whole internet themselves. That would be you and taco.
when flash is no longer available, HTML5 will have become the dominant media form.. which again is a good few years off. by then you will be bombarded with HTML5 ads all over the place. Did you think they were disappearing? lol
103. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
really a few years away .. you might be right.. jelly bean may no supported and it will take a few years before it reaches most Android devices..
93. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Html5 lacks DRM. its not even viable.... it's also
very dependent. on browser development, which
is in constant state of flux. HTML5 ios = epic fail....
98. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
is the future of the internet. so how is that a fail?