Japan Display unveils a 5.4'' and 6.2'', 1440x2560 pixel resolution screens
0. phoneArena 28 Oct 2013, 04:09 posted on
Japan Display has announced that it's finished with the development of a 5.4'' and 6.2'' screens that both run a whopping 1440x2560 resolution...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
10. SuperMaoriBro (Posts: 527; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
great resolution, rest of the specs not so great, low contrast and poor viewing angles will mean the negatives will out way the negligible visual improvement in sharpness.
14. wicpromd (Posts: 266; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
u didnt read it??
viewing angles >160
and contrast ratio 1500
read it and then try to troll with good arguments
26. user996 (Posts: 215; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
best viewing angle is 178 and 160 is not so great
31. MojoDojo (Posts: 102; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
Viewing angels are BIGGER than 160 degrees. It could be 178.
20. Amir1 (unregistered)
Troll detected! i repeat! troll detected! alarm! alarm!
42. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Yes, wait till Microkia gets their hands on this.. I'm sure a Lumia device with puremotion, SST, and Clearblack technology will be great... Some are saying that the 1520's 1080p screen may be the best they've ever seen.. I can't wait.
2. android_hitman (unregistered)
Rly? What for? FullHD is not enough anymore?
7. skyline88 (Posts: 458; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
to be very honest, i cannot even differentiate the ppi between 720p 4.7" and 1080p 5.0" screen.
8. wicpromd (Posts: 266; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
its not for u
its for those who can still differentiate
so be with ur 1080p untill nTh year
yeah because u really cant differentiate :D
11. skyline88 (Posts: 458; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
and i did not mention its for me, and by the way i am still using 720p on 5.5". go home boy, u are drunk.
13. wicpromd (Posts: 266; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
so sad that ur friends will tease u
look look this "skyline88" still lives in 2012 :D
so bad haaan and yeah u really cant differentiate :D
17. cezarepc (Posts: 716; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
Congrats. you can differentiate 1080p and 720p screens just by looking. Here take your medal.
18. wicpromd (Posts: 266; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
soon millions will too
because by 2014 or 2015 people will carry such high resolution in their pockets
keep giving medals to them :D
22. cezarepc (Posts: 716; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
You care so much about what other people will have in their pockets that it affects your buying decision.
You're the person who gets a weird haircut because everybody else is rocking it. 2 more medals for you.
33. Satnamreg (Posts: 29; Member since: 23 Aug 2013)
You guys are funny!
Let's be glad that screen technology is improving, rather than shouting as dogs :)
And let's hope the 5.4 screen will go on the Xperia z2!
41. MistB (Posts: 581; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Yep, Xperia Z2 will be getting a 5.4 inch screen with this screen res you can bet. Also the Z Ultra successor I wonder will have much smaller bezels for the 6.2 inch version.
43. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
You're one of those idiots who will say that Windows Phone devices with SD800 quad core processors are outdated just because a few months later some no name device is available with s octacore chip.. That's a dumb, and very expensive, way of approaching technology.. You would never believe that the Mazda Miata, with its 4 cylinder engine, is the most raced, and winning car, on any given Sunday... While you keep chasing numbers some of us are more interested in what they actually translate into.. I'm not saying that I wouldn't be interested in a Lumia with a 2-3k screen, bit I'd rather Microkia wait till they can implement a quality unit in the device.. It's not always best, or smart, to be the first person with the newest technology.
37. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
U probably never heard of ULTRA HD
3. eisenbricher (Posts: 973; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
I bet no one can distinguish between these screens and 1080p screens at least for 5.4" panel. Even for 6.2" most people won't notice any difference.\
This is an overkill, imo. Innovation is welcome, but really an overkill.
15. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
This year's flagship specs are next year's mid-range, so as 1440p screens approach, you'll see Google coming out with an affordable 1080p (any day now), and so it goes with every other HW- the benefit is for the smart and patient.
Oh and BTW 1440p @6.2" is not any sharper than 1080p @4.7". If you dig the HTC One's screen over the One X, you will 1440p over 1080p on a phablet.
38. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Open the same webpage on two different resolution screens and it is crazy easy to tell which has more pixels. Its the screen with more of the webpage visible.
PPI differences are neglible after 400+ to me
But web browsing, picture and text rendering are betr on higher resolution screens always.
For example my 2012 n7 can display maybe 1/3 of a big website at a time with its 720p. But my 2013 n7 can display the same site almost fully on its 1080p screen.
4. emadshiny (Posts: 1144; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
That screen looks gorgeous.
Hope the power consumption is low as well.
The main problem is slim bezels which cause sudden touches.
5. byazatt (Posts: 269; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
I thought this would stop at 1080p, guess I ain't seen nothing yet:-)
35. _PHug_ (Posts: 444; Member since: 11 Oct 2011)
I don't think that 6 -12 months qualifies as an "era"
6. wicpromd (Posts: 266; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
Bring it on.....
something will again look like so so so old fashioned soon:D
ahem ahem (Dont need Camera Department Anymore only to be focused on) :D
9. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
wow epic screen!! screen technology is really taking off!!