It's not your imagination: Ice Cream Sandwich updates really are slow
0. phoneArena 30 Apr 2012, 13:38 posted on
It turns out that you aren't just impatient - ICS updates really are taking longer than previous Android updates. The underlying cause appears to be the giant changes in the base code between Gingerbread and Android 4.0...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. joseg81 (Posts: 165; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
i'm loving ICS on my HTC Amaze. i had to do that "unofficial" official update. but i couldn't wait til june :( updates seem to be too slow especially with T-mobile.
13. babyk (Posts: 221; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
have one issue everything works fine on ics update for amaze did this update for a friend but notice the browser lags like when scrolling it takes a second to scroll on most websites wasent happening on gingerbread are you experiencing this? @ joseg81
23. jove39 (Posts: 1278; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Go to Settings > Developer Options > Force GPU rendering. Click on checkbox next to this option...hope it'll help
65. babyk (Posts: 221; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
doesnt. But is there a way to revert to gingerbread on stock non rooted?
24. joseg81 (Posts: 165; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
no actually i have only experience one problem with my swype beta keyboard, which installed from the swype site. i use dolphin browser or chrome. i rarely use the stock browser. i'll give it a shot later and see if i get that problem.
68. babyk (Posts: 221; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
screen gets very hot and battery runs very fast. screen gets hot even when i dont use the phone
34. joseg81 (Posts: 165; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
i just tried it out and experienced only a slight lag from my swipe of the screen to the scrolling of the page. it wasn't anything major but i notice what ur talking about. i tried different sites and even tried it on dolphin hd, it only happened with stock browser no matter what site i went to.
71. remixfa (Posts: 13903; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
blah to the stock browser. chrome or Opera. i use opera mostly for the flash ability and its still darn smooth.
If its hot and running out fast, then you need to change your CPU clock settings. you have it set to run at full speed all the time. Either that or its not going into sleep mode.
It needs to be a range of speeds for the system to play with.. for example, on my SGS1 i have it at minimum 200mhz to 1000mhz. That way when its sleeping or not doing anything it can drop down and save battery. if you have it at 1000/1000 (or whatever your standard clock is), it will never ever slow down.
hope that helps.
22. Muhannad (Posts: 455; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
Its at times like these when the beauty of the XDA community is realized.
4. Mxyzptlk (limited) (Posts: 3510; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
This is the side of Android people tend to ignore.
25. jove39 (Posts: 1278; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
iSh33p commenting in frustration from iOS!
29. Mxyzptlk (limited) (Posts: 3510; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Fandroids commenting in denial.
47. matrix_neo (Posts: 314; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Eyesheeps still in denial, they can't accept the truth that their idevices are losing it's magic. Although android has slow in releasing it's updates, still people buy it coz they know they have choices and freedom.
57. Mxyzptlk (limited) (Posts: 3510; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Slow in releasing updates, fast at being outdated and losing what little value they have. Typical things Fandroids seem to overlook much like everything else that is wrong with Android.
69. andydrew2011 (Posts: 2; Member since: 01 May 2012)
iSheep are pathetic...I bought the 4s and traded it in for an android and couldn't be happier. iOS is nice, don't get me wrong, but it's way too boring. the same 4x4 grid and same icons after 5 years of the phone being out there. with the iPhone there is no variety! My android phone is faster and I guarantee it too. The specs in the iPhone aren't as great as android phones, too.
I'm not a fanboy of either, though it sounds that way. I just strongly perfer android after the dullness of the iPhone. For some people, the 4x4 grid is great. But for me, it doesn't cut it.
The iPhone and Android phones are both very nice, but if you want variety, choose android.
BTW you may not believe this, but 90% of people that own smartphones use android :)
75. Mxyzptlk (limited) (Posts: 3510; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
People who use the term "eye sheep" are the ones who're jealous because the device they make fun of is more stable than the device they praise.
It's not surprising given that Android tends to be less stable than iOS. You can call iOS boring and bland until the cows come calling, but in the end it only matters if you can use your device and not be held up by a force close or a software reboot.
Btw, everyone I know either owns an iPhone or wants to own an iPhone. A lot of people who have Android are not happy with it.
77. andydrew2011 (Posts: 2; Member since: 01 May 2012)
Actually android force closes less than iOS and applications. Don't believe me? look it up. Everyone that I know that has a high end android phone that competes with the iPhone prefers android. And you shouldn't be talking about use. Android can do so many more things that the iPhone can. Just get used to it. Also, I could say that people who use the term "Fandroid" are the ones who're jealous because the device they make fun of is more innovative, useful, and more fun to use.
33. iamcc (Posts: 1319; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
So don't buy Android. I'll wait for updates to get new features instead of receiving timely updates that leave me with the same pathetic grid of icons...
63. reagannism (Posts: 9; Member since: 23 Nov 2011)
lol. same icons for 5 years. pathetic pathetic pathetic
76. Mxyzptlk (limited) (Posts: 3510; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Right, wait for those updates while your device continues to be outdated since by the time you get the updates, the next Android version is on the horizon.
46. matrix_neo (Posts: 314; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Are you blind and deaf?? Thousands already activated android phones and growing worldwide market share, still an epic fail??!! If your ios will have same ui and icons this year, that's an epic fail!!
70. Mxyzptlk (limited) (Posts: 3510; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
At least that same UI won't freeze and cause my phone to force close my apps or reboot randomly.
5. Mxyzptlk (limited) (Posts: 3510; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Looks like Android struck an iceberg here.
45. matrix_neo (Posts: 314; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Looks like eyesheeps struck in a barn for 5 years now. So sad they just roaming around inside it. Are they going to be released this year?? No!! Why? Their "sheperd" will get angry. Lol
58. Mxyzptlk (limited) (Posts: 3510; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Is saying "eye sheep" the only creative insult you can think of, or am I giving fandroids too much credit here?
59. matrix_neo (Posts: 314; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Actually there's a lot of it, just don't want to hurt your eyes of reading it and from stop bleeding of your heart. If you don't like these, please stop trolling, bashing, insulting, or making the android an inferior os. It's so disgusting!! Im not alone here, there are millions of us fandroids. Why we are in millions, we know what the true capabilities and uses of a smartphone, only android can do that. Yours just an app launcher.
61. Mxyzptlk (limited) (Posts: 3510; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Your English and grammar are as broken as the OS you're trying to defend.
No one is denying Android's "true" capabilities, capabilities that are the sole reason why updates take so long and why they become outdated so fast. You really think Android fans have it made? Besides getting the table scraps and bottom of the barrel apps that have already seen release on the app store, what else is there to "Play" on the market?
Perhaps if OEMs would make a phone that's actually cutting edge and offers an overall better user experience, then I think Android would be a very suitable choice as an OS.
6. chadrick0814 (Posts: 208; Member since: 23 Nov 2011)
Just for comparison, how long did it take for WinMo 6.5 to update to WP 7? How long will it take to update WP7 to WP8?
14. Damien_666 (Posts: 37; Member since: 16 Oct 2011)
Just for comparison - my Dell Venue never went beyond the f***ed up Gingerbread.
After installing 25 apps, it's now a great looking paper weight.
35. chadrick0814 (Posts: 208; Member since: 23 Nov 2011)
I'd imagine you can still do each and every thing you purchased your phone to do. You can still text, talk, browse. I'd also bet there are at least 300,000 apps you can download for 2.2 or 2.3. If that's a paper weight....its an awfully heavy one. Considering the dell streak isn't exactly a new device I'd say you are doing pretty well especially considering it came out when WinMo 6.5 was still out. Try downloading an app on WinMo vs android 2.3and tell us how that works out.
16. bbblader (Posts: 579; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
bit*h please how long did it take for Diablo 2 to get to Diablo 3?
so these updates are nothing!
20. Muhannad (Posts: 455; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
You're not going to play Diablo 2 everyday until 3 is released, but you are using you're phone everyday.
39. kainy (Posts: 165; Member since: 10 Aug 2011)
First of all WinMo did not update to WP7... so and between WP7 and WP8 you are missing some updates: pre-Mango, Mango, WP7.5-Refresh then WP8... So your f**ked up argument is f**kin invalid...
P.S. Windows phone gets two updates an year, one minor and one major. Too bad this comment will get too many thumbs down for being true.
60. chadrick0814 (Posts: 208; Member since: 23 Nov 2011)
I think you are making the point. WP 6.5 did not update to WP 7. WP 7 will not update to WP 8. So saying updates are slow on one OS vs another OS that won't update to the latest makes the "slow" argument invalid. 5 month makes "when hell freezes over" seem like a short period of time. And android has minor updates all the time. Ie..4.0.3
51. Archan_Pe (Posts: 74; Member since: 08 Apr 2012)
LOL its both never... 6.5 never got 7 and opps are WP7 aint gonna get wp8
8. sithman (banned) (Posts: 299; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Android needs to b more uniform like iOS. iOS needs to b more customizable like android.
26. gp284 (Posts: 120; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
ya that would be nice. But then a lot of people would stop using Android and start with iOS, because it is easier to use.
27. jove39 (Posts: 1278; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
If google can standardize all hardware interfaces for android (including device drivers)...then updates will be really quick...people can just download source from google site and compile build for their device...only thing google is lacking at...provide a device drivers support like MS-Widows has...just plugin anything and it works :)
30. Scott_H (Posts: 167; Member since: 28 Oct 2011)
Honestly, the only way to do this would be to either make all the phones themselves (e.g. the Apple model) or make incredibly strict hardware guidelines (e.g. Windows Phone) - and either way they would be sacrificing some of the main benefits to Android - that you can pick from a large variety of phone types.
36. thedarkside (Posts: 652; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
the force is strong with this one.
i agree with you. i do have an iphone and although its simply and i dont ever have problemns with it, i wish i could make it a little more me.
9. ananya22 (Posts: 93; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
samsung hasnt updated the gs2 int. version in india but have done it for other countries. they are seriously pissing me off
17. Muhannad (Posts: 455; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
You're right, my dad has the GSII and I would always check for updates but I wouldn't get anything.
32. poojaroy (Posts: 52; Member since: 29 Apr 2012)
ya u r right sgs2 india hasnt got 4.0 update till now, time has exceeded 6 months lol.samsung should roll out update for india now or they will b in gr8 problem ,they will loose millions of customers from india.. ex(like indian ppl throwed nokia in dustbean bcoz at 1st around 80% ppl were using nokia phones)...so samsung dont let it down time dose matter in todays world competition...u might b the next never know
10. dcgore (Posts: 206; Member since: 24 Feb 2012)
Solution: Stop skinning the phones OEMs. Done.
18. Muhannad (Posts: 455; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
Solution: You can get a Windows Phone or an iPhone otherwise don't complain and just install a custom ROM.
41. ngo2dd (Posts: 781; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
Skin is not the main problem. It is the carriers and the fact that the ICS is very different then GB. XDA doe a good job but the user are the beta tester. The ROM are all laggy and the fix will come as time go by. I have a working ics ROM for my 3D but the camera don't work.
52. networkdood (Posts: 6267; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
huh, that issue has been fixed a while back...you need to update your ROM.
66. ngo2dd (Posts: 781; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
Not for the 3D, there is not Rom with a working camera for the 3D. The AOKP does not have a working rom. I check everyday. If you know of an Evo 3D with a working camera ICS rom please me a link.
72. remixfa (Posts: 13903; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
thats because there are no 3D ICS drivers to build from. Someone would have to build one from scratch.
So your choice is to stick with ICS and not use 3D, or go back to gingerbread and pray for the update. Honestly, how much do u actually use the 3d cameras?
11. tluv00 (Posts: 134; Member since: 18 Oct 2007)
Well considering that ICS is an Phone and Tablet update plus just by the sheer number of devices out there as well as LTE/HSPA + being used more now I could expect the adoption time to be longer than before.
People need to relax. I would rather wait another month than get a buggy, poorly tested version that I then have to read people complaigning about as to why the carriers let them release so early without more testing.
12. tluv00 (Posts: 134; Member since: 18 Oct 2007)
You should call customer service. I am sure they are right around the corner.
15. PimpStrong (Posts: 310; Member since: 25 Jul 2011)
I hate to see the Jellybean update then...
19. tech-head (Posts: 132; Member since: 02 Sep 2011)
Yet another reason I may go back to the dark side(apple). :(
48. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
This comment made me laugh so hard I almost cried.
Thank you sir, for making my day funnier. xDDDD
50. thedarkside (Posts: 652; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
you are very welcome. my bias comes from working at sprint and now verizon and ive never had a good experience with a windows phone. to be honest i used to hate the iphone and droids both at different times but have come to respect and almost admire there OS.
windows should make like alderaan and be destroyed.