It could be lights out for the Nokia Lumia 1020 on September 14th
0. phoneArena 13 Jul 2014, 14:11 posted on
If you have been pining for the Nokia Lumia 1020, with its 41MP PureView camera, you might be running out of time to make the purchase. According to serial leaker evleaks, the Nokia Lumia 1020 will hit end of life status on September 14th. The phone is about a year old and no subsequent model has yet to top the number of MP on its rear snapper...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
10. akki20892 (Posts: 3798; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
I agree perfect time....41MP camera, Snapdragon 805 or 810, 3Gb, Micro SD, Colors (cyan, yellow, red, white, black), 5" with 1080p or 1440p....
Bring it on.....we r waiting.
23. jael206 (Posts: 144; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
I really find this hard to believe. Just when I was starting to enjoy my 1020 with Developers' WP 8.1 preview, then this news comes along. Why MS? If you can't produce 1020s anymore, then at least continue its support.. Gah!
24. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
This ain't true, dude... Don't sweat it!!
28. sks1969 (Posts: 87; Member since: 04 Mar 2012)
It may be end of manufacture, but support is still what MS/Nokia promised. If you need another one you can buy it now before Sept. I think by then there will be a replacement (with Xenon)but I don't think there will be another 41 Megapixel beast. I expected this and and am using my 1020 carefully(Only when I am traveling and expecting to click photos) otherwise its a 925 for me.
32. cezarepc (Posts: 674; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
There will still be support, at least until January 2015 (18 months). They just won't be producing it anymore.
33. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
i too am sad.
but support will still continue. but not production
38. xche78x (Posts: 101; Member since: 11 Mar 2014)
But it isnt just the 1020! The 1320 and 1520 also got major price cuts of almost 70%. What does this mean? Is microsoft throwing in the towel? Will microsoft go for android?
43. cdgoin (Posts: 409; Member since: 28 Jul 2010)
No it means the new phones are coming out..
2. MC1123 (Posts: 1254; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
I still prefer my nokia 808 PureView than this...
12. TheMoltenD (Posts: 109; Member since: 13 Jul 2014)
The 808 Pureview is better as a camera, the 1020 is better as a phone.
Meanwhile any Android flagship is a much better phone than both and a DLSR or even mid-high end point and shoot is a better camera than pureview.
30. Sealblaighter (Posts: 134; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
Tell me an Android smart phone which can take better photos than the Nokia 1020.
39. xche78x (Posts: 101; Member since: 11 Mar 2014)
Is the 1020 camera better than the samsung galaxy k zoom cameraphone?
41. jael206 (Posts: 144; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
This comparison will answer that question:
42. Sealblaighter (Posts: 134; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
The 1020 has unnatural colors, but it did better on low light condition.
3. Busyboy (unregistered)
I pray the successor will actually have specs worth noting. Along with slim bezel and OIS of course.
5. Jinto (Posts: 414; Member since: 15 Jan 2014)
This has better than nexus 4 specs, and a price to match
14. Canaan (Posts: 238; Member since: 25 May 2014)
The Nexus 4 has a quad core processor and Adreno 320, so no the Lumia 1020 does not have better specs.
17. sip1995 (Posts: 1339; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
He definitely means that camera is better...
36. Busyboy (unregistered)
Well the camera isn't the only spec is it?
13. TheMoltenD (Posts: 109; Member since: 13 Jul 2014)
Slim bezel on a Windows phone? Maybe.
Slim Bezels on a Nokia phone? Never.
16. billgates (banned) (Posts: 555; Member since: 29 May 2014)
Nokia has maintained a distinctly Nokia look with that black ring. I say keep a good amount of bezel, it would be like asking samsung to make a phone without that handy dandy home button :-)
18. Settings (Posts: 1246; Member since: 02 Jul 2014)
That button's gonna die. As long as iPhone hold to that button theres no way Samsung gonna let go of that handy dandy home button.
4. srgonu (Posts: 112; Member since: 13 Feb 2012)
EOL in an Year? That's shorter life than any androids :)
8. Bernoulli (Posts: 2430; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
You can't compare a lagdroid to this beauty
9. mattkl (Posts: 195; Member since: 01 Feb 2010)
But he wasn't comparing this to the Nokia X.
31. boosook (Posts: 1280; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Yes, the beauty of the bezels! :) Well, if there are some Nokia phones that are beautiful, this is certainly not the case with the 1020, with its ugly camera protrusion on the back.
35. srgonu (Posts: 112; Member since: 13 Feb 2012)
If hardware like this can't last for more than an year, there is no point windows users call android fragmented. And by the way your experience with the most powerful OS is either with a wrong hardware or you are blindfolded.
15. Settings (Posts: 1246; Member since: 02 Jul 2014)
It means production of 1020 will stop but not support.
26. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
This can't be true because the 1020 is getting WP 8.1, and it's also getting GDR1, and GDR2 updates to 8.1... We'd be lucky to get GDR1 by September, so the 1020 will be supported for at least months after that with GDR updates....
29. sks1969 (Posts: 87; Member since: 04 Mar 2012)
Sadly true man, but we got support till WP9, after that it's a ?
19. nlbates66 (Posts: 320; Member since: 15 Aug 2012)
not especially, but can you name a single Android phone that will get security updates through until 3 years after it's release? That would be if it stayed at Windows phone 8, but it gets the update to 8.1 as well, for which support ends 2017. Same goes for the bottom end Lumia 520, it too gets the Windows phone 8.1 update and subsequent security updates.
7. keyaquino (Posts: 3; Member since: 13 Jul 2014)
aww... this is my dream phone..... gotta tell my tita about this..
11. billgates (banned) (Posts: 555; Member since: 29 May 2014)
My wife has this phone in white and she loves it still. I love the camera so much. Things I dislike are the greenish tint to the screen (I blame that on the screen used) and it's too small of a screen to use (again for me). I like the feel of the material used and even like the hump.
44. keyaquino (Posts: 3; Member since: 13 Jul 2014)
i am planning to buy either the lumia 1020 or HTC One M8 or Sony Xperia Z2 or Huawei Ascend P7 or LG G2
20. DarkRadeonFX (Posts: 35; Member since: 29 Mar 2014)
If 1030 comes with these specs.I'll even pay $1000 for this phone
Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 Chipset
2.7 GHz Quad Core Krait 450 CPU
Adreno 420 GPU
5” QHD Super AMOLED Clear Black Display (2560 X 1440) 587 PPI
Corning Gorilla Glass 3
32GB Internal + Up to 128GB MicroSD
41MP Pureview 16 Lens Array Rear Camera (2160p@30fps, 1080p@60fps, 720p@120fps, HDR, OIS)
5MP Front Camera (1080p@30fps)
Front LED Flash and Rear Xenon & LED Flash
Non Removable 3400mAh Battery
Built in Qi Wireless Charging
IP68 Certified - Dust and Water Resistant
3D Touch Sensor
Finger Print Sensor
Windows Phone 8.1 Cyan
Aluminum Unibody Design
21. dratomic (Posts: 483; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
what makes nokias durable is their polycarbonate not aluminium. (though n8 might prove me wrong) but i dont like aluminium that much because of the feel and maybe because it has been used for bragging by an inferior company "htc".
22. TheLegendaryGhost (Posts: 18; Member since: 25 Jun 2014)
if they make a phone with that spec $tag is def. $1000 bucks lol.... but i think its possible.... n this is what MS needs to get Nokia where it was ... (not saying MS brought it down)
27. Settings (Posts: 1246; Member since: 02 Jul 2014)
What? Who needs 805 when 800 is enough? It does not mean if its latest its good.
Drop the fingerprint sensor, you dont need it.
Drop the aluminium. It disrupts the signal.
37. Lalit_Luis (Posts: 4; Member since: 14 Jun 2014)
Desperately waiting for the successor to the Nokia Lumia 1020. Microkia is the new name right. The phone should have a camera to die for, a superb screen, the fastest processor windows phone can handle, sd card slot, minimum 3000mah battery and most importantly, SUPERFAST CAMERA SPEED.
Only then, it'll be worth paying a 1000 dollars for it.
40. xche78x (Posts: 101; Member since: 11 Mar 2014)
Im secretely wishing microsoft kills its phone OS and use its windows pro OS. The upcoming quad core atoms are powerful enough to handle an x86/x64 windows Pro OS. Ditch the RT/Phone and go for real powerful OS which can run bajillions of legacy apps as well as Metro style ones. To unite phone and pc users! Microsoft will only need to handle 1 giant ecosystem. The metro side can handle all the mobile apps!