Is your Samsung Galaxy S4 overheating?
0. phoneArena 03 May 2013, 15:47 posted on
A number of Samsung Galaxy S4 users are complaining that their brand new handset is overheating to temperatures as high as 122 degrees fahrenheit with most of those complaining that the handset is heating up when they are playing games or surging the web; some are suggesting enabling the power saving mode to stop the battery from overheating...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. jaymulli (Posts: 20; Member since: 09 Apr 2013)
A warm phone is the most uncomfortable feeling, ive had many phones in that past that warm up and it just feels horrible.
43. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 12941; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Not a good start for the S4 as there was another article referring to build issues many users on xda are reporting.
59. omar300 (Posts: 209; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
-__- you stupid people.
its the touchwiz. it does not know how to control the processor power and it bounces from 1- 100% even when there is no need. plus touch wiz has far too many things running.
Install AOKP and let me know if phone every heats up again.
62. chocolaking (Posts: 494; Member since: 22 May 2012)
This was already an known issue in many Asia forum.
I am surprised that pa just had this news came out...?
It must be an design issue.
139. ari5501 (Posts: 5; Member since: 16 Apr 2013)
yo i have an HTC one and it does the exact same thing. It's not Touchwiz, it's the fact that its such a powerful processor with no fan
97. JunitoNH (Posts: 1774; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
They won't see those articles, they refuse to.
101. mahawa (Posts: 6; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
that is the cost for a 7.9 mm thin with a 2600 mah and 4 cortex a15 .
123. Trex95 (Posts: 900; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
- Screen smearing.
- Over heating
- lag and glitch
- Camera lunch delay (Snapdragon version)
- White still doesn't as true white even with 1080p Super Amoled.
i'm not a hater but there's something wrong about S4 quality
131. JojoGo101 (Posts: 211; Member since: 17 Dec 2012)
-Company that puts a 3yr old phone with iOs6
-Remember the iPhone 4?
-Makes an iPad Mini with specs that will it slow and laggy by next year.
-Remember the Mac Pro? Wait, it's still alive?
-Claims a "Retina Display" when the display of other handsets is double?
Haters gonna hate. You bash us when about Android and Samsung.. but iOS and Apple is so perfect.
72. sharks (Posts: 236; Member since: 16 Feb 2013)
The unanswered question is: which model of S4 is having this heating problem? Is it the snapdragon 600 or exynos 5 octa or both?
116. skyguy7567 (Posts: 148; Member since: 17 Nov 2012)
I believe both. That's why I don't buy Samsung stuff. Constant overheating but there's no emergency shutdown function. I bet if they install that function it would at least shut your phone down three time a day. My Xperia Z has no such stuff as overheating. It has an auto-shutdown function to prevent discomfort and damage of the phone's parts at 48 degrees C. But it's waterproof, too. So just toss it in nice cool water when it heats up (normally not over 40 degrees) and take it out nice and cool.
136. kobra696 (Posts: 3; Member since: 24 May 2013)
I own a snapdragon SG4 (this is my second one) and it is heating up. I wish I could upload a picture and show how hot this unit get. 54c in worst case escenarios like games, facebook, web surfing, pandora. That is ridiculous and unacceptable for a phone that cost almost $650
I was so exciting when the SG4 came out but now I am just desappointed.
85. juandante (Posts: 463; Member since: 23 Apr 2013)
Beware, the Galaxy S2 used to FRY your microSD car when overheating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This happened to me two times with a 32gb SD card. Search "samsung galaxy s2 fry microsd" on Google.
102. akki20892 (Posts: 3901; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
hey sammy give us more heat like a hell burn....oh yes feel good....!! Lol see so much powerfull processor is just for pc, not for phone, why sammy go with octa.
2. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Sounds more like defective first batches like the s3 had.
3. jaymulli (Posts: 20; Member since: 09 Apr 2013)
Maybe, i would surely want a replacement though.
4. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
The S3 I had did this, bought it 2 weeks after it came out, sent it to Samsung like 6 months after I bought it and they replaced it and I sold the replacement and bought a Nexus 4 and pocketed the rest of the $ long ago.
51. HäckeMáte (Posts: 168; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
Sounds like the dump I took this morning. Samsung products are poop.
8. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
Wow... good job on trying to start a fan war...
17. torr310 (Posts: 837; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
It's not a war when I am telling the own experience.
19. Martine (Posts: 102; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
Actually the HTC one heats up like a hot pan and the whole phone becomes very uncomfortable to hold while, the heat from Galaxy S4 however is around the camera region due to its plastic shell. The complain about
50. Irakli (banned) (Posts: 5; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
the Samsung s4 is garbage what you expect this is what happens when you use the cheapest parts on earth in a phone. Samsung s4 has everything defect. Samsung fan boys lying and shifting blame on other prefect phones like the HTC one that is the best phone on earth. HTC ONE is not problem Samsung fan boys go f yourself
54. SleepingOz (unregistered)
How many accounts do you have on here, other than Rayanx10, MariaGabriela and Irakli?
63. WakaFlakaD (Posts: 481; Member since: 30 Apr 2011)
It would be normal for the HTC One to heat fast because of the alunimum body design. As to the S4, I can't speak of anything due to lack of experience with the phone. People who does not own the phone should shut the fuxk up. It's not like your comment will contribute anything. Straight bashing just make you sound like a bitxh
111. soona1991 (Posts: 5; Member since: 06 May 2013)
so Irakli do you have any idea what kind of plastic Samsung uses ??
In s4 poly-carbonate is used which is far more expensive than aluminum..
you simply don't say what you don't know..
i agree SGS 4 doesn't feel as premium as HTC One , but is one's personal choice, moreover plastic has its own benefits
109. KennethP4V (Posts: 33; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
i had played with 3 different HTC One from 3 different ATT stores, tried the games, apps, taking photos, recording videos, playing music with dual front speakers, going on the web, texting, sending normal text, then sent photo text, it didnt even get hot, couldnt even feel that it was warm.
23. AMDPhenomX4 (Posts: 48; Member since: 06 Apr 2013)
The HTC One is literally a giant heatsink. The Snapdragon 600 in it is literally directly in contact with a piece of copper shielding and then the aluminum body. On the S4 the Snapdragon 600 is facing the screen and going through layers upon layers of plastic. You either have the option of a phone that feels warm to the hand and doesn't throttle, or a phone that stays cool most of the time but gets very hot during CPU intensive tasks due to the lack of CPU cooling and them throttles.
52. HäckeMáte (Posts: 168; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
And then theres a 3rd option... Buy an iPhone that has half the battery size, last twice as long, and doesnt get hot at all, while benchmarking better if not the same as the "competition"
65. WakaFlakaD (Posts: 481; Member since: 30 Apr 2011)
I am not sure if the battery will last twice as long, speaking in personal experience
120. ecmedic4 (Posts: 335; Member since: 02 May 2013)
I have an iPhone 5 and get great battery life, but to be fair, everyone has different usage patterns, plus many variables like signal strength, type of signal its pulling, if you have extra radios on such as bluetooth and wifi. Several screen shots showing Standby: 1 day 3hrs, Usage: 4 hrs 14 mins and battery at 26%. Another Standby: 4hrs 9mins and Usage: 3 mins and battery at 100%. The iPhone has excellent standby time. Lastly another showing Standby: 20 hrs 19 mins and Usage: 7hrs 10 mins and battery at 3%. But again everyone has different usage patterns and there are quite a few variables. Overall though i am happy with my battery life.
93. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1116; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Saying the iPhone doesn't heat up is just flat out lying, my friend has the 4S and he says it gets hot when playing games, which i think every phone does. (My One X and my sisters Galaxy S II also heat up during games which is a completely normal thing)
121. ecmedic4 (Posts: 335; Member since: 02 May 2013)
Yes ive had mine get warm, but nothing too extreme that it was uncomfortable to hold during certain games/tasks. But like you said everyone does, kinda expected when they are as thin as they are, not much room between the components and outter casing. Ive never had it get so hot that it shut down on me though. Im not a hardcore gamer on my phone though either, so it varies depending on ones usage.
7. Dr.Phil (Posts: 1159; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
It would be interesting to see if it's just the Snapdragon version, Exynos version, or both.
11. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
That's the first question I asked when I saw this.
15. torr310 (Posts: 837; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
higher chance on the Exynos version. Saw the news saying Samsung's software isn't written well for the 4+4 cores, so it has problem switch between the two. The issue comes when some tasks need high power can only run on the slower CPU and cause it overheated.
Snapdragon verison probably is fine.
29. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Both are good, the exynos 5 has a slight edge over the snapdragon 600 but its nothing the average user will notice. The only difference I can find is the US S4 seems to lag and the Exynos 5 is flawless (probably due to samsungs crappy optimization on their 2nd choice of cpu)
106. ranveer5289 (Posts: 1; Member since: 05 May 2013)
Mine is Exynos version and gets pretty hot when I am browsing, listening music, flipboard, facebook etc over WIFI
I checked my temperature using System Tuner app and it shows my phone at 56C :(
9. AstronautJones (Posts: 303; Member since: 01 Aug 2012)
Good question Phil. Kind of important info....
28. SleepingOz (unregistered)
HTC One has build quality issues(nicks, gaps, loose buttons).
Fact is that most oems have this kind of problems with the first batch of their products. And this doesn't only concern smartphone oems..
46. MachDaddy (Posts: 51; Member since: 06 Mar 2013)
I was playing with a demo model of htc one and the flash was loose... obv. it was demo model but still.
Also, i was not quite as blown away with the "amazing" build quality as I thought I'd be, but loved the dual speakers on the front.
48. SleepingOz (unregistered)
The mass production models also have these issues.
Like I've said earlier, no oem is immune against these manufacturing defects. The reason why you don't see PA reporting them is because their products are not as popular as the Galaxy/iPhone line.
77. gerasim (Posts: 16; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
dude do you work for Samsung student agency because i see you on all websites trolling all brands that are not Samsung.
92. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Do you even know what trolling is?
And all websites? like? I only comment here..
You seem a lil butthurt, am I right?
12. eddienimz (Posts: 4; Member since: 08 Jul 2012)
thin phones will have that problem for sure .... anyway who care if the phone is less than 7 mm .... just make a good phone that we can hold in a good way
13. Hello-dirt (Posts: 102; Member since: 02 May 2010)
I think it's the snapdragon. My N4 heats up all the time and sometimes for no apparent reason. Playing games will guarantee that the temp rises to an uncomfortable level. The battery also depletes quickly when the temp rises.
22. kozza3 (Posts: 697; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
you should try the latest PA ROM, everything runs very smooth and i have notice a HUGE drop in how hot it gets during games and browsing
27. Captain_Doug (Posts: 997; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
It's almost for sure a software issue.
14. eddienimz (Posts: 4; Member since: 08 Jul 2012)
im 21 and im done playing games ... i feel like a kid playing a game ... its samsung s4 and its for adults not for kids who want to play games ... time to grow up people .... no need to waste ur time and play games daily for 24 hours
16. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1116; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
What? Now people can't play games on their phones just because you say so?
What shall i do on my boredom? Play a game? No because eddienimz said so.
58. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
feeling like a kid doesn't mean you're any less of an adult. you obviously have insecurity issues.
110. KennethP4V (Posts: 33; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
well now u sound more like a kid for saying these stupid bs.