Is the Senate full of Apple fanboys? Jon Stewart certainly thinks so
0. phoneArena 24 May 2013, 03:53 posted on
You remember that Apple CEO Tim Cook had to answer a bunch of questions before a Senate committee regarding Apple's attitude towards its corporate taxes. Well, it looks like some people who have followed the hearing ended up somewhat staggered by what they saw...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
rotten government means rotten companies like Apple + Microsoft = pure evil
1) Apple censors your personal emails!!!! - “Apple censoring iCloud emails and attachments” = fascism
2) "Phones most vulnerable among smartphones"
3) "Apple iOS Apps Leak More Personal Info Than Android"
4) "Quarter of iPhones have a broken screen, poll says."
5) "40% of iOS popular apps invade your privacy without any permission."
6) "FBI files: STEVE JOBS was a lying, power hungry, mad man."
7) "Steve Jobs: "We are shameless about stealing great ideas." "
8) "Italy fines Apple $1.2 million over AppleCare practices." = fascism
9) "Belgian consumer group files complaint against Apple over AppleCare warranty practices." = fascism
Microsoft's biggest revenues from corruption, intimidating and blackmailing:
1) blackmails Android manufacturers because of stupid software patents so Microsoft earns more money from Android than from WP
2) govs corruption (Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Romania, China) probably everywhere
In Slovakia you are not able to pay taxes without Windows!!!!!
goo [dot] gl/FNz9f
3) pays (bribes) to HW manufactures to slam Linux
goo [dot] gl/EYqOl
4) Greedy Microsoft - Because of the trust Apple+Microsoft+Adobe you have to pay more for IT in Australia!
goo [dot] gl/k4Dko
5. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
Cool story bro.
If you are going to hate on both, dont use a computer.
17. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
if you live in a dirty air (by corrupted gov and companies like Microsoft or Apple) you don't breathe? nice logic from you :)
23. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
"Fairness", "Justice", all these ideals are bulls**t. You people just cant accept reality. That's how every government and huge companies like this work. Just deal with it. It's like saying Apple and Microsoft are evil and Google is Jesus. (That's what 95% of the people coming here to take advantage and bash Apple & Microsoft are thinking - f@ndroids).
B!tch please. Google is just as screwed up. You can hate all you want and it still makes no difference because you rely on their products. It amazes me how you people can act like hypocrites in the open.
79. Zero0 (Posts: 583; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
I'll freely admit that Google is a pretty bad company as a whole. They are at least among the worst offenders as far as tax avoidance goes (might be the worst, actually), and they have some sketchy business practices.
However, after all is said and done, I find them the least repulsive out of the big companies. They're very transparent about government data requests (if I recall correctly, you might soon be thanking them for the end of National Security Letters). Their legal team rarely, if ever, goes on the offensive against competition. You see Apple and Microsoft filing first, not Google.
84. 8logic (Posts: 131; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
theres really no good reason why any company should pay a income tax to repatriate their money since its not earned in the US and they've already paid a tax to the country where that money was earned. then we get mad at these company for using their money overseas. i mean what the hell? we bitch at them for investing oversea, but punish them for bring home the bacon.
90. nobelset (Posts: 270; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
Dude I know what you are trying to say and I agree with it, but Google actually has a much better attitude towards people. Of course, this can be classified as a marketing strategy bus it's a win-win for us all.
46. haseebzahid (Posts: 1833; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
lol ur so un understandable using MAC or Win defenetly to bash win and AMC defenetly go to linux and see for ur self what pathetic OS is that to compete Windows and free is always crap linux is a good example of that only useful NOT productive
and ur beloved google makes money from ur private stuff over the ads instead of ur pockets so much for free B.S
49. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1629; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Hahaha get a life dude! And btw your comment makes no sense....and also your is spelt your not 'ur' RIP english
86. willard12 (Posts: 827; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
Did you really just misspell "spelled" and follow that up with "RIP English"....awesome.
57. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
In Slovakia you are not able to pay taxes =Microsoft corrupted
Wake up ;-)
71. haseebzahid (Posts: 1833; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
in my country we never pay for any of the softwares all are free to download and buy from a shop without any legal issue thats a story
and we no speak english
85. 8logic (Posts: 131; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
your "private stuff", is really used for providing you with stuff you might want to buy....... google makes money on advertisements. but, whats wrong with that? look at all the free services they provide you and others around the world simply buy offering thing that you are shopping for already.
idk about you, but that seems like a pretty good deal for everyone.
93. haseebzahid (Posts: 1833; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
sorry i aint stupid enough to compromize my personal things for money like i send a mail with my picture library and google takes it for their xyz 3rd party company or i work somewhere and my confidential documents are open to 3rd party companies sorry in reall life this is pathetic way i can pay to buy or i shloud not buy
62. james004 (Posts: 478; Member since: 15 May 2013)
you must understand that he is just "commenting" surely looking at it from a reality point of view it looks stupid to even comment on such news but this is no different than commenting on sports event that is happening or has already happened.
Nothing we say will ever make any difference, we are all just powerless users whose voice will never be heard so atleast we can talk it out.
we all like google right now but 10 years from now that might become our enemy too. so lets just cherish what we have now.
76. Zero0 (Posts: 583; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Or, you know, just find different software.
I could probably live without any Apple or Microsoft software. In fact, I rarely do as it stands now.
GNU/Linux and BSD exist. Use them.
10. Shaznek (Posts: 43; Member since: 18 Apr 2013)
And let me guess, Google are the good guys that only care about custumers and pay their taxes and give you free stuff without looking at your private info.Let me quote this from wikipedia: "Google uses various tax avoidance strategies. Consequently, out of the five largest American technology companies it pays the lowest taxes to the countries of origin of its revenues" Stop defending corporations because they re all the same, they all seek the fastest and most efficent ways to gain profit.
22. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 457; Member since: 11 May 2013)
Tax avoidance is different from tax evasion
73. -box- (Posts: 3825; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Explain how avoidance is different than evasion? Both are trying to stay away from something...
82. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5876; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Evasion in U.S. Tax law is a term that has a different meaning than avoidance. Avoidance involves taking deductions that are provided in the tax code to reduce the amount of tax that is due. Evasion is not providing full disclosure that results in lower taxes because the full amount of income was not disclosed.
One is legal; the other is not. One gets the perpetrator free room and board but with limited visitation privileges. The other gives the perpetrator the ability to hold forth amongst other individuals who understand the difference about how there are makers and takers.
99. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
Google depends on its customers, so if they do anything wrong they will lose them ;)
just think a little ;)
13. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Very well said+1
Microsoft+Apple+Pure Evil=RIP+Down South™®©
We don't need or want you®
81. Zero0 (Posts: 583; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
It's real Linux. It uses the Linux kernel; it's Linux.
88. iushnt (Posts: 685; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
It is LINUX.. I use linux mint for my desktop and an android device.
89. Zero0 (Posts: 583; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
If I recall correctly, the Android kernel is forked off of the Linux kernel, but they are working to bring it back. And even in the case that it is forked, probably 90% of the code is taken straight from Linux.
You're right in that Android is different from basically other "Linux" distribution, because Linux isn't its own operating system. Desktop Linux takes the rest of its OS base from the GNU project (usually X and sometimes KDE as well), while Android does not.
45. haseebzahid (Posts: 1833; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
most of ur time was spent writting nonesense i guess are u high on something
55. threed61 (Posts: 131; Member since: 27 May 2011)
How does Apple censor personal emails? If Google wins on patents it's OK, but Apple/MS wins it's blackmail and intimidation? Why would MS bribe manufacturers to slam an OS that nobody uses?
95. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
Deal with that, these points are facts, search on the internet ;-)
67. darkkjedii (Posts: 12005; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Here you go again dude
1. You obsessed with apple
2. You're obsessed with Jobs
3. You need to get laid
4. You used to work for apple
5. You were fired for whining about Jobs
6. Get over apple YOU can't bring them down
7. Did I mention you need to get laid?
94. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
:-) you will never be a detective :-)
2. mr.techdude (Posts: 551; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
They all need android and the government will be open minded and no more global crises
66. roldefol (Posts: 3007; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Designed in America, profits reaped by American execs and shareholders, but rarely made in America. I wonder if Apple buyers would feel differently about their products if they put a big Foxconn logo under the Apple symbol.
9. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 864; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Aside from all the my phone is better than yours crap that is going on can we at least agree that corporate tax loopholes are ridiculous in the US and we have a worthless Senate.
11. ara.armagedon (Posts: 15; Member since: 12 May 2013)
and Jon Stewart laughed at Mitt Romney when he said he was gonna close the loop holes
12. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 864; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
That would never happen, even if Romney won, with the politicians we have in the US. Both parties bad mouth each other but are the same when it comes for bending over to large corporations.
20. roldefol (Posts: 3007; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Amen. We like to believe that the US is the world's great free-market democracy, when in fact it's a duopoly-friendly oligarchy. The best we can do is elect leaders who aren't going to bomb other countries without provocation, and buy from corporations that aren't massive human rights violations.
25. Sniggly (Posts: 7122; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Not a fan of government control over companies or individuals. however, if you're going to do it wrong, at least be principled. Seeing all of these people slather all over Apple is disgusting.
28. tedkord (Posts: 4984; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
And suddenly, kitten hearts would be the most premium material from which a smartphone could be made.
33. -box- (Posts: 3825; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
I have no idea how mccaskill got reelected, but it embarrasses me as a Missourian that she represents us.
38. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6591; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Yes they are. I saw one senate showing off his lame iPhone after his daughter interrupt his interview. So damn annoying. And I'm sure the ITC have nothing but iproduct
44. PhoneCritic (Posts: 360; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
I believe we can all agree that most ( not all - there are some members who are trying) of our senate and congressional members are corrupt and are the ones that should be on trial. They help instituted the tax codes that not just allow Apple, Microsoft, Google, GE, Walmart, etc... make billions on tax evasion but also themselves. How much are you willing to bet that they have off shore holdings and Swiss bank accounts? Come on, who are they fooling? Not you not me. Almost all of them are in it for themselves ( free and the best health care). This is what is call the Depravity of man (Biblical, even if you don't like it its true). We are not our brothers keepers. I got mines If you didn't get yours to bad for you. In fact we are all guilty of this. We all have 401k, Stock investments and Bank interest. We want them to increase so we can all retire wealthy and care free. We forget that in order for these investments to come to fruition someone must lose, someone must pay, someone must suffer, someone must go into debt, Hey, I am not saying we have the best system but its the only one we have. We all know the truth so please don't insult our intelligence with stupid hearings like this.
Can we as droid fans and Apple fans agree at least on this - that most ( not all there are some members who are trying) of our government representatives are very hypocritical?
75. Zero0 (Posts: 583; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
And to be fair, Apple isn't the only one abusing the tax codes. Google does it quite a bit.
47. haseebzahid (Posts: 1833; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
this was kind of hilerious but i agree with apple on taxes from other angels like now more then 70% of american taxes goes to fuel wars over other countires although this is another topic not suppose to be debated here but that is truth
72. haseebzahid (Posts: 1833; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
ok lets all of us NOT pay tax for one day
98. DigitalMD (Posts: 226; Member since: 17 Feb 2010)
Taxes are evil, but you sure can;t do math. less than 10% of the budget goes to defense or as you would spin it, wars....
Over 50% goes to "entitlements" with are socialist programs in the USA.
ANd since the government is spending 50% more than they are receiving in taxes, 1/2 of those social programs are paid by borrowing money from the Chinese, not by taxes.
74. Zero0 (Posts: 583; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Apple is about simplicity.
It's the simple things like filing patents on a near hourly basis for simple details, and suing over those simple details for a simple $1.5 billion payment and a simplification of the competition's offerings.
96. DigitalMD (Posts: 226; Member since: 17 Feb 2010)
Anyone with a brain knows that the recent Senate committee appearance by Apple was nothing more than a shakedown scam with three main purposes.
1. Let Apple know they are not playing ball the "Washington Way"
2. Coerce Apple into paying more bribe money to politicians
3. Scam the ignorant public into thinking the politicians actually care and/or are doing anything useful rather than stealing money from the tax payers and business owners.
And oh, by the way, with a wink and a nod, business as usual with a few bigtime bribes (called lobbying in DC) and no increase in taxes on Apple, (because they weren't breaking any rules to begin with)
97. DigitalMD (Posts: 226; Member since: 17 Feb 2010)
Do you hear the Senate calling General Electric up to testify why they made 4 BIllion $$$ in profit last year and paid $0, zilch, nada in taxes to the US? ahahahahah ,nooooooooooooooooooo
Because GEs CEO is a big Obama supporter and on his Jobs committee and GE pays their dues in lobbying money.