Is cheap memory killing off Google Nexus 7 units before their time?
0. phoneArena 18 Jun 2013, 23:05 posted on
The older the Google Nexus 7 tablet gets, the worse it runs according to a number of the tablet's owners who are complaining about things like a terribly long 10 second lag just to orient the tablet correctly; one owner of the tablet complains about problems including lagging in the browser, when multitasking and having the device experience one crash and reboot per hour...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Furbal (Posts: 1007; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
Wouldn't suprise me. My tf700 has horrible i/o due to memory issues.
17. erikiksaz (Posts: 170; Member since: 22 Apr 2010)
FIX FIX FIX
Fix for the Nexus 7. If yours was experiencing the slowdown, one person suggested using an app called Forever Gone (SD card cleaner) in the play store to fix the issue.
Apparently it works well. Just had my gf's dad try it and he noticed the difference.
2. PermanentHiatus (Posts: 267; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
The source is Appleinsider. That says a lot about these claims.
5. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1488; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
thats like getting Boeing to test out a Airbus
9. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 886; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
But a legitimate claim. I haven't had this issue myself but know a couple who have the same problem.
28. Eonnaydra (Posts: 217; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
I have the same problem with my Nexus:LAG!
32. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 2210; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Android and Me ran the original article.
3. wendygarett (unregistered)
All I can say is 32gb internal storage...
if you are a stubborn guy who still want 16gb and below device, get an iPad :)
38. JunitoNH (Posts: 1852; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
They don't want to spend the money on a real tablet.
4. Zero0 (Posts: 592; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
The 4.1.2 update (assuming their explanation is correct) is only half of a fix. The supposed cause is a TRIM error, and the update doesn't resolve it retroactively. A full wipe to 4.1.2+ should clear the issue, again, assuming Google and Asus are right.
40. icyrock1 (Posts: 307; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
That might be why I haven't seen any decrease in performance. I got mine when 4.2 was release on the N7, and has a habit I wipe the device before using it (even though I got it from wall-mart and I know it hasn't been used before. It's part of my OCD).
6. cornerofthemoon (Posts: 590; Member since: 20 Apr 2010)
I can vouch for this. My Nexus has been running at a snails pace lately.
7. TheLolGuy (Posts: 483; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
You get what you pay for. The Amazon Kindle with inferior specs are being sold at-cost at $200.
Even with the cheaper parts you're still getting great value for your money. Google is subsidizing the cost and Asus is probably getting razor thin ( and I mean THIN) margins, if anything at all. Just like it was said in a previous article, LG took up the Nexus 4 phone in order to promote it's brand as a quality phone manufacturer... I'm not sure if it worked though. People just call it a Google Nexus.
41. Zero0 (Posts: 592; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
I agree. For $200, the Nexus 7 is still one of the top 7 inch tablets on the market. Even if this is a hardware issue (and there is reason to believe that it is software related), you can't expect much more.
As for the Nexus 4, it's not convincing me to buy an LG phone. I bought it for the software (though the hardware is incredible for the price). I'll definitely buy a Nexus again, but I won't go out of my way for an LG device.
43. JojoGo101 (Posts: 211; Member since: 17 Dec 2012)
LG was great with the Nexus 4. But they should make a greater Nexus 7.I think Google should move away from ASUS or charge a higher cost for higher quality components.
8. amiaq (Posts: 509; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
Come on!! No wonder my Nexus 7 behaving like that. So I am not the only one. I was so giving up using it due to the lag. Not just that, when I first bought it I recommended the tablet over the iPad Mini to 3-4 other friend/family. Now I wait for them to blame me!! arrghhh!!
10. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 886; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
With the money you saved them they can buy the second generation nexus 7 too and still have spent less than an ipad mini.
11. wendygarett (unregistered)
Do you think those users will buy another nexus 7 after have the bad experience?
18. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 886; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Good point. With most of the people I know it all depends how invested they are in the ecosystem and willingness to give it another try. Although if the same thing happens with the next generation Nexus 7 as well then google pretty much lost a lot of customers for life no matter how much better it is each progressive year.
21. amiaq (Posts: 509; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
Yeah, one of them was Apple loyalists, definitely this will PROVE all his previous arguments.
23. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 886; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Ouch. My condolences because you're never going to hear the end of that.
12. imkyle (Posts: 1074; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
How long after you got your Nexus 7 did it start to lag?
22. amiaq (Posts: 509; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
A good 4-5 months I think, I noticed it after I opened up 2 more accounts for my daughters, when the JB 4.2 update allow multi users. I thought it was the JellyBean update. I was very dissapointed.
14. Leica_Shooter (Posts: 18; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
I got a 16GB since day one, and it works flawlessly.
15. sberk (Posts: 1; Member since: 18 Jun 2013)
Try LagFix Free by Grilled Monkey available on Google Play. Quick, easy and effective. It has kept my N7 from becoming a Frisbee. Be sure to run again if you flash mods or kjernels .
16. marcdunn82 (Posts: 10; Member since: 03 Oct 2012)
And here I thought it was because I had upgraded to the nexus 4 for my phone which would undoubtedly out perform my nexus 7 and make it seem slow. Bit I'm going to look into this.
19. flynfree (Posts: 374; Member since: 09 Jun 2013)
What do you expect for the cheap product, i xperience that to my gnexus, sub par speakers, subpar camera, battery sucker, except build quality and software update.