Is Microsoft preparing a futuristic 'translucent aluminum' smartwatch?
This move allegedly shows how serious Microsoft is about the smartwatch form factor and that it is moving it towards completion. Earlier, the smartwatch was developed by the Xbox accessory team along with the Joule heart rate monitor.
We have previously heard that Microsoft has placed orders for 1.5-inch displays and will be using the Surface magnetic connector in the possible upcoming smartwatch.
The Microsoft smartwatch will come with removable wrist bands and color options for them will include blue, red, yellow, black, white, and grey colors. What’s most interesting is that the actual watches are made out of Oxynitride Aluminum, an expensive material described as "translucent aluminum" that is also three times harder than glass.
Right now, reports claim the Microsoft smartwatch is using a modified Windows 8 and features 6 gigs of internal storage and LTE connectivity to connect it to the cloud. The watch is said to also serve notifications and allow access to music controls.
source: The Verge, AmongTech
1. KINGJUAN27 (Posts: 204; Member since: 02 Jul 2012)
Awwwwesome! A smartwatch for WPs finally..
2. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
i dont see need for smartwatches be it of even windows smartwatches
4. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
We do need it actually. For bragging rights. /s
Just wait for iWatch to be released, their fans will do the same.
11. sum182 (Posts: 229; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Gotta be a watch fan to appreciate i guess. For me, its pointless, all of 'em. But i don't and have never worn watches to begin with.
3. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
This has to happen eventually, if other competitors are doing the same. Nothing surprising.
5. Mozarrt (Posts: 297; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
Unless a holographic screen pops up, I'll prefer wearing my old mechanical watch from the Soviet Union.
Watches are for looking at the time, they should not be an extension of my smartphone, otherwise I'm going to be more distracted more than most ADHD patients.
6. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3573; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
So watches and glasses are next for us, hope they'll be useful and offers good stuff.
8. FlushGordon (unregistered)
What exactly does a smartwatch do that a smartphone can't?
16. androiphone20 (Posts: 1654; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
well I guess we can only say Mich after these devices are released
9. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
In my opinion nothing van top Google Glass ATM....
10. preet27in (banned) (Posts: 173; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
good on ya guysss. bring it on.
12. poping (unregistered)
14. selena1000 (Posts: 84; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
why are smartwatch rumours form other manufacturers coming only after apple is rumoured to be developing iwatch???
i m not an apple/samsung/htc/nokia fanboy but this is true
17. jamz82277 (Posts: 3; Member since: 09 Sep 2012)
No it's not. Smartwatches have been announced/produced/sold well before any rumor that Apple was building one. You are apparently an iSh33p. GTFO
15. androiphone20 (Posts: 1654; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
looking back some time ago this is exactly what happened when the first iphone was released this is totally not new to me