Is HTC trying to go after Apple's iPhone 5C with this alleged octa-core Desire?
0. phoneArena 25 Jan 2014, 08:22 posted on
A new HTC Desire smartphone might come soon, featuring an octa-core MediaTek processor, Android, a 5-inch 720p display, and cheerful color options...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
HTC is making too many Desire series.
27. NateAdam8 (Posts: 388; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
I agree with you cause soon it'll be just like the Samsung Galaxy lineup with almost every smartphone having pretty much the same name. HTC Desire and Samsung Galaxy is all people will ever really hear from those two companies.
59. hmd74 (Posts: 476; Member since: 31 Jan 2013)
And the problem is Samsung has just one line... GALAXY
But HTC has 2...Desire and One!!!
2. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 2019; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
No.It's going after the Lumia series. The 5C isn't the only phone with bright colours.
4. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Nokia color usually wraps around the front part as eek.
This imo is a 5c clone'wish.
32. Finalflash (Posts: 2727; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Oh good, I thought u were having a stroke.
48. DAMONORIBELLO (Posts: 109; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
HTC cloning an iPhone?! Have you had a good look at the HTC First? Pretty sure that phone came WAYYYYY before the 5C. Who's cloning who?
54. phljcnth (Posts: 479; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
One - iPhone 5/5s
Desire - iPhone 5c
8. DONUT (Posts: 401; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
based off the photos, the plastic looks extremely cheap
14. hurrycanger (Posts: 1554; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
not as cheap looking as the 5C, I have to say. Anyway, I may need to see it in real life to really be able to judge it. The 5C looks like a decent piece on the computer, but I saw it in store and I was shocked, lol.
30. Sauce (unregistered)
Ever held a 5c in your hand? Feels a lot better than holding some other phones. Doesn't feel cheap at all. Just your fandroid hatred kicking in. Would I ever buy a 5c? No. But give credit where it's due.
39. hurrycanger (Posts: 1554; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
Yep. It feels very solid especially if you try to knock on the back. I wasn't talking about the feel, but yea, Apple gets the credit there.
It feels like it can be a perfect face smasher. You know, it is solid but the look is already so bad you won't be afraid of ruining it. :)
46. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4271; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
The 5C does feel nice (though I wish they put a matte finish on it, I'm not a fan of gloss), but it does look pretty terrible. I don't understand why the 5C even existed, it wasn't any cheaper than what the iPhone 5 would have been had they kept it in stock, and they could have just produced the 5 in different colors while still maintaining the premium look and feel.
50. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3704; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
You know exactly why the 5C existed. It was cheaper for Apple to make. Profit margins increased over the 5.
53. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4271; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Apparently. It was supposed to be the cheaper iPhone, but it was only cheaper for Apple. That's sad.
17. zuckerboy (banned) (Posts: 898; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
glossy plastic always looking cheap..
21. Mrmark (Posts: 262; Member since: 26 Jan 2013)
Remember that HTC is in a 10 year agreement with Apple patents which I am pretty sure includes design. The agreement assures HTC of not being sued as long as they pay Apple 6-8 bucks per phone. Which might be why you saw the beautiful HTC One and now this product . BTW I have an HTC ONE Max Sprint. This is just speculation.
22. Mrmark (Posts: 262; Member since: 26 Jan 2013)
And for one last comment Apple took from HTC innovative with the Ultra Pixel but made it 8 ultra pixel ... Now I am not sure but it seems to me that Apple is making sure HTC doesn't top Apple in terms of who releases better quality first . Okay take this comment as a way out in left field!
28. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4271; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
The iPhone 5S does not have UltraPixels, they slightly increased the size of the sensor from the iPhone 5 but kept the same resolution, which does increase pixel size, but not to the size of the HTC One's. The HTC One has 2.0 micron pixels, the iPhone 5S has 1.5 micron pixels. The HTC One also has a larger aperture.
33. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
So I guess anyone that makes a coloured phone now will be considering "copying" apple even though multi coloured phones have been available for a while now.
34. Altair (Posts: 367; Member since: 02 Feb 2012)
How pathetic is This? HTC has to copy Everything.
HTC - Silently Stealing
42. rangaha (banned) (Posts: 86; Member since: 05 Dec 2013)
we don't even know what the final product will look like
45. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
When your motto is "I prefer honest companies like Nokia, Microsoft and Apple. Companies like Samsung and Google whitout morale, and constantly acting evil, can't do so without comments. Currently using Nokia Lumia 920 and iPad.. you lose all credibility bro
38. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1982; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
even greater, no ultrapixel nonsense.
44. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4271; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I don't know why everybody is hating on HTC's Ultrapixels. Does nobody remember how bad HTC's standard 8MP cameras were back in 2012?
The One's Ultrapixel camera was a definite step up from the likes of the DNA and One X of 2012. Also, that article was made before the update to the One, which brought great camera improvements, see here;
If anything, we should be sad that HTC hasn't put their Ultrapixel camera on all their devices, because it's obviously superior to anything else they've come up with.
61. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1116; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Well as someone who owned the One X and now owns the One the One X captured a bit more detail than the One(I have owned an S3 last year while i still owned my One X and the One X is a better overall camera than the S3 due to being much faster (10fps) and better low light pics). That being said the One strikes back with better life like colours, much better night pics and if you use it right you can make some impressive photos even in daylight.
52. Diazene (Posts: 129; Member since: 01 May 2013)
looks great, but where are the side buttons?
56. tiara6918 (Posts: 2016; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
If the pricing of this desire will be right it will sell well. I bet htc is already changing their strategies