Is Android 4.2.2 the end of the line for the Samsung Galaxy S II and Samsung GALAXY Note?
Samsung Galaxy S III and Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (GT-I9300, GT-I9305). No surprise here. Also not a surprise is the inclusion of the Samsung Galaxy S4 and Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE (GT-I9500, GT-I9505). Three variants of the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 (GT-N5100) are in line to receive Key Lime Pie including the LTE and Wi-Fi model (GT-N5105, GT-N5110). Also on the list is the Samsung GALAXY Note II (GT-N7100) and the Samsung GALAXY Note II LTE (GT-N7105). Lastly, Android 5.0 is supposedly coming to the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 LTE and the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Wi-Fi (GT-N8000, GT-N8005, GT-N8010).
Those devices that will be coming to the end of the line with Android 4.2.2 include the Samsung Galaxy S II and Samsung Galaxy S II Plus (GT-I9100, GT-I9105), Samsung Galaxy Grand and Samsung Galaxy Grand DUOS (GT-I9080, GT-I9082), Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 (GT-I8160), Samsung Galaxy S III mini, (GT-I8190), Samsung Galaxy Beam (GT-I8350), Samsung Galaxy Express (GT-I8730), Samsung GALAXY S Advance (GT-I9070), Samsung Galaxy Premier (GT-I9260), Samsung GALAXY Note (GT-N7000), Samsung Galaxy Young and Samsung Galaxy Young DUOS (GT-S6310 and GT-S6312), Samsung Galaxy Fame (GT-S6810) and the Samsung Galaxy Xcover 2 (GT-S7710).
Keep in mind that this is a leaked pre-list and is not written in stone. Stranger things have happened than seeing the Samsung Galaxy S II get a last second reprieve.
2. Topcat488 (Posts: 1124; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Well that update 4.2.2 should keep me happy, until the Note III comes out.
4. 90ninjas (Posts: 89; Member since: 07 Aug 2012)
I'm fine with my S2 sticking with 4.2.2. Had a good, long run. (:
5. osmaankhaan (unregistered)
which phone with a custom ui has come this far officially?
26. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2119; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
None. Samsung is killing it right now. The S2 & Note will end up going from 2.3 to 4.0 to 4.1 to 4.2. There have been Nexus devices that haven't seen that many updates. I expect the S3 & Note 2 will see the same number of updates or more. Kudos to Samsung.
6. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 776; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
If 4.2.2 is the end of the line it is already pretty damn good! Think about, 2.3 to 4.0 to 4.1 to 4.2 that's 3 major firmware updates, i will have to take my hat off to Samsung because that is what i call support.
Good job Samsung. From a supposedly HTC fanboy according to some trolls.
7. procopiojose (Posts: 132; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
galaxy s2.. the first android to slap apple in the face..
9. zippolite28 (Posts: 100; Member since: 28 Sep 2012)
Apple had given 1 to 3.3.0 to there first gen mobile it self .. no offence...samsung also have done a good job for s2 and note
10. Ale749 (Posts: 13; Member since: 26 Dec 2012)
Shame that the S3 mini won't get Key Lime Pie
27. Wiki_jaan (Posts: 702; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
as i think KLP may need better hardware ... (cpu+gpu+ram)
11. yowanvista (Posts: 299; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
And yet the Xperia S is still stuck at 4.0.4 while the 4.1 upgrade is nowhere to be seen. Gotta admit, Sammy is the best when it comes down to updates.
23. rusticguy (Posts: 2826; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
XP/XS no one knows ... yes no one even at Sony knows when it will be dished out.
33. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5258; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
42. rusticguy (Posts: 2826; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
6 more days to go. Lets see what magic they turn up with.
12. ACCTDADDY (Posts: 12; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
The North American version of the OG Note still is on 4.0.4 wich it should have shipped with when it was released there is no sign of it getting updated to JB any time soon so Samsung really dropped the ball on that one.
28. rojiblanko (Posts: 18; Member since: 14 Oct 2011)
this is why I sold my a&t Galaxy Note, just got tired of waiting for JB.....bought my Nexus 4 straight from Google so no more waiting for updates!
30. Topcat488 (Posts: 1124; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Sorry to bust your bubble @ACCTDADDY, but if your Note haven't received updates... It's not Samsung's fault, it's your carrier that's holding things up!
That's the only fear i have about leaving Europe is the "carrier" delays on updates.
13. aaron12345 (Posts: 15; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
Well considering that most people buy their phones on 24 month plans, most people would have bought the galaxy s2, 2 years ago and now most of them would probably be jumping to the galaxy s4. I dont really see much point in continuing to update the phones because the galaxy s2 will have less users in the coming months
15. Aeires (unregistered)
They still sell the S2 because it was so good of a phone. For someone that has a kid needing a phone or doesn't have a lot of money for a new one, the S2 is a great phone to fill those needs.
18. pkiran1996 (Posts: 165; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
FYI I own a Galaxy S2 and I'm 15 months into my 24 month contract and appreciate every update I get.
14. RohanM (Posts: 129; Member since: 15 Jan 2013)
PA why r u posting same old news again ??
17. pkiran1996 (Posts: 165; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
Proud to own a Galaxy S2 and see it stand from a humble 2.3 to 4.2.
That's what I call software support.
19. therealestmc (Posts: 129; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
I cannot wait to get all the features on the Galaxy S4 on my galaxy note 2. The galaxy note 3 will be the best phone this year.
21. uchihakurtz (Posts: 233; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
I was actually expecting my Ace 2 to end on 4.1.2, if they really do a 4.2.2 update, hands down, Samsung is the best on updates. Not many OEM are willing to go 4.2 on their mid-low range devices.
25. Bedz81 (Posts: 48; Member since: 30 Dec 2012)
Much better than the HTC Sensation series which is still on 4.0.3 with no word on updates for ANY 2011 high end device! Hats off to Samsung
29. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
Men . I rather Samsung skip the 4.2 update and give us (GS2 and note ) owners key lime pie .
4.2 is a minor update anyway that adds nothing but gimmicks .
Its okay though , I still have the fantastic cyanogenmod team to fall back on
32. jcpwn2004 (Posts: 314; Member since: 18 Jan 2012)
This article makes me sad. Still on 2.3 on my gs2, stupid kies crap software :(.
34. haseebzahid (Posts: 1813; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
hahahaa and retard Android trolls come and bash that wp8 is not coming on wp7 moblies atlest they announced it before wp8 was out hahaha cry all who dont want to upgrade there android moblies and please stop bashing others
whatever you bash around comes around :P
35. skymitch89 (Posts: 1044; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
I just hope that they bring 4.1 or 4.2 to the Epic Touch fairly quickly. Having to be within 10ft of a wifi router to be able to connect to wifi is ridiculous.
36. steelew (Posts: 49; Member since: 04 Jun 2012)
No mention of the AT&T i717 galaxy note. I would settle for 4.2.2 if I could get it stock.
37. 90ninjas (Posts: 89; Member since: 07 Aug 2012)
If they mention the international version, then it is most likely in the works. However, remember AT&T, along with the other Us carriers, delays updates to their phones for their own software modifications.
38. Socahan (Posts: 9; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
Not surpring at all and I find the list, in its present form, fair.
39. dmakun (Posts: 157; Member since: 06 Jun 2011)
I have thoroughly enjoyed the user experience & support by Samsung for my galaxy note gt n7000. Nothing like making sure you have a international model that's not locked to carrier/networks. Thank you Samsung. (From a former HTC user). Still have a one x though just to see if HTC will impress with support for this model but Samsung will take my money this year for sure.
40. Bedz81 (Posts: 48; Member since: 30 Dec 2012)
Well, people with high end HTC handsets from 2011 are all stuck on ICS so the One X has slim chances
43. rusticguy (Posts: 2826; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Doesn't matter to most of them who own it. At least they don't have to go through weekly updates of breaking something and then waiting for next update to fix what got hosed and breaks something else .... "1 Infinite Loop" :)
44. gallitoking (Posts: 4684; Member since: 17 May 2011)
Considering that the S2 did not come with the latest Android version (4.0 that it should have come up with in the 1st place, that is at least better than most other manufacturer, except that the iphone4s released the same year the S2 did will get full update from Apple.. hope Samsungs copies that too.
46. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 776; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Are you alright or are you just butthurt? When the Galaxy S2 came out the most up-to-date version of Android was Gingerbread, 4.0 ICS only came out in the end of the year with the Galaxy Nexus.