Intel closes the power consumption gap on ARM, Atom competitive with Cortex A15 and Krait
0. phoneArena posted on 04 Jan 2013, 08:40
When we speak about mobile devices and their processors, ARM is the first and only name that will come to mind. Intel has started making its baby steps into mobile this year…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. feres13 posted on 04 Jan 2013, 08:45 4 34
The iPhone 5's A6 Chip is the most power efficient chip and has the best GPU
6. darac posted on 04 Jan 2013, 09:21 3 21
Can you prove he is not right, android fan?
He is stating the fact actually
8. Berzerk000 posted on 04 Jan 2013, 09:33 17 2
Power efficient, yes. Best GPU, no.
9. feres13 posted on 04 Jan 2013, 09:41 2 8
Go check anandtech...
15. Berzerk000 posted on 04 Jan 2013, 10:06 9 1
The Mali-T604 got very respectable scores compared to the PowerVR's when you factor in the insane screen resolution, and it trumps everything but the SGX554 in the offscreen test.
Honestly, Google/Samsung should have used the Mali-T658 for such a high resolution, but I think Samsung wanted to keep that for the GS4.
16. joey_sfb posted on 04 Jan 2013, 10:09 13 1
There no point in having powerful hardware for a restrictive mobile OS such as the aging iOS.
Its a good thing that Apple has a large fan base to keep buying the same design same martyr years after years months after months.
28. darac posted on 04 Jan 2013, 15:02 0 4
Care to back up that statement?
SGX554MP4 is more powerful (though less modern architecture )than Mali t604.
Numbers are clear on that one, no matter how much you android fanboys thumb it down
34. Berzerk000 posted on 04 Jan 2013, 22:40 2 1
We were talking about the iPhone 5's GPU, the SGX543MP3, not the SGX554MP4. There's no doubt that the SGX554 beats out the Mali-T604, but the SGX543 certainly doesn't.
GLBenchmark 2.5 - Egypt HD (Offscreen 1080p)
iPad 4 (SGX554MP4) - 51.8
Nexus 10 (Mali-T604) - 32.9
iPhone 5 (SGX543MP3) - 27
Numbers. It's the Nexus 10's high resolution screen that brings it's score down, if you put the Mali-T604 with the same resolution as the iPhone 5, the numbers would be much higher. But, I know the SGX554 outclasses the Mali regardless of resolution.
I don't thumb down, I just prove people wrong (when possible).
35. faisolbauuz posted on 05 Jan 2013, 02:11 0 0
Well there is a chinnese tablet called onda v972 that uses 8 core sgx 544 gpu (ipad3 only uses 4 cores) and have the same resolution as ipad3/4 it packs 2gb of ram
36. darac posted on 05 Jan 2013, 02:31 0 0
Yeah it's a misunderstanding.
I realized he is referring to the iPad and A6X but did not point that out. My bad
10. PhenomFaz posted on 04 Jan 2013, 09:49 6 1
dude it may be power efficient but definitely not the most powerful cpu nor the best graphics around....intel is going to flatten qualcomm and a6 alike!
13. feres13 posted on 04 Jan 2013, 09:55 0 10
sorry i forgot that only the A5X and the A6X have better graphics
14. Berzerk000 posted on 04 Jan 2013, 09:56 5 1
Maybe in a couple years, but not right now.
Qualcomm isn't who Intel should be worrying about, it's Samsung. Samsung has always had best in class chips with its Exynos.
19. TheLibertine posted on 04 Jan 2013, 11:27 0 2
Yeah, but Exynos are used only on Samsung's own devices. What Intel seeks is being the choice of HTC, Motorola, Nokia and Co.
And lets not simply deny the A-chips are strong silicon too.
22. Berzerk000 posted on 04 Jan 2013, 12:50 2 0
Ah, I was looking from a pure performance standpoint. Forgot about the competition of being the choice chip for manufacturers.
Half the reason why Apple's Ax chips are so strong is because Samsung manufactures them. If any other chip manufacturer made them, they probably wouldn't be as good.
27. rf1975 posted on 04 Jan 2013, 14:41 0 0
yes with best kernal exploit.
24. picka_vi_materina posted on 04 Jan 2013, 13:42 0 2
iPhone 5 has the best GPU on phones, fact! iPad 4 has the best mobile GPU ever, fact!
32. darac posted on 04 Jan 2013, 15:22 0 0
You have no clue on what you're talking about.
GPU wise, Atom chips are downright pathetic compared to the best ARM chips right now:
By the end of this year, Atom will only reach the GPU level of iPhone 5! (Implementing the SGX544MP2)
It's beyond ridiculous!!
38. ikkuh posted on 05 Jan 2013, 13:51 0 0
Nexus 4 has the same GPU.
40. Berzerk000 posted on 05 Jan 2013, 21:51 1 0
What? Where did you read that? The Nexus 4 and iPhone 5 don't have the same GPU.
The iPhone has a PowerVR SGX543MP3 while the Nexus 4 has an Adreno 320.
29. darkkjedii posted on 04 Jan 2013, 15:03 0 4
Now why is he an ifan for saying that? What if its actually true, and instead of just running his mouth he did his research.
39. ikkuh posted on 05 Jan 2013, 13:57 1 0
Seems obvious. It's an article about the atom.
The iPhone is still an overrated, overpriced phone and has the most inflexible OS. Even with a great CPU and a GPU as the nexus 4 has.
7. theoak posted on 04 Jan 2013, 09:25 4 2
On the surface it may look that way.
It is hard to tell what exactly this chart is measuring.
All phones have different screens, different pixel counts. The i5 is definitely the lower of all these when it comes to screen pixels. This alone may account for the lower power usage versus real CPU power usage.
12. feres13 posted on 04 Jan 2013, 09:49 1 6
the droid razr m and the razr i have a qhd pentile screens 960*540 compared to the iphone 5's 1136*640...
11. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 04 Jan 2013, 09:49 7 0
A6 is not the best, it's so deceiving b-c iOS has few features and is very light for the chip to handle.
20. MorePhonesThanNeeded posted on 04 Jan 2013, 12:08 3 1
This is what people or iFans always completely forget when talking about Apple iPhone and it's chips. The OS doesn't push the chip so it's obvious it's going to perform better, no multitasking and basically app launcher in a fancy case. Go back and see why the iPhone can claim such great numbers when the OS does very little in comparison to Android at any given moment. Too bad Google didn't try to do the same thing with Android, such as a low power mode which does the Apple version of multitasking, bet those power consumption numbers would rise on Android gear.
30. darac posted on 04 Jan 2013, 15:05 1 1
Who said it's the best chip?
It has the best GPU.
Having trouble reading?
31. darkkjedii posted on 04 Jan 2013, 15:05 0 3
Where's your proof? Any statement that's definitive should b backed up with proof.
37. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 05 Jan 2013, 03:48 1 0
Do I need to prove that iOS is a light OS?
And I notice that you never said anything substantive since your "grand contribution" to mankind: the definition of wireless charging. lol
23. naptown2 posted on 04 Jan 2013, 13:08 1 0
ummmmm no.... apple isnt anythinng special there are so many phones out there with better chips and have more power
26. rf1975 posted on 04 Jan 2013, 14:38 1 0
Yes, come on intel make all other chip manufacturer bite the dust,
2. maxis3G (unregistered) posted on 04 Jan 2013, 08:48 4 0
LETS COMPETITION BEGINS!!!
5. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 04 Jan 2013, 09:19 2 0
It's good to see Intel wakes up to competition and offer a real innovation and choice for consumers.
This will surely push ARM hard and that's great as ARM seems to lose the creativity somewhat as they dominate the market.
4. amozhi posted on 04 Jan 2013, 09:02 4 0
Price must be competitive as well. Otherwise Intel will loose to ARM again
17. jove39 posted on 04 Jan 2013, 10:37 2 0
Please compare Atom with Exynos5...and Atom will surely taste dust...swift and krait cores are not most powerful designs...hopefully Anand will include results from Nexus10 in future :)
And believe it or not...SGX554MP4 is most powerful mobile GPU...yes even better than Mali604...go to anandtech and check yourself. Mali658 or 678 may have performance comparable to SGX554MP4...but then Imagetec is ready with their 6 series GPU.
Also, does anyone know PSP Vita has SGX543MP4+ gpu...again power vr....and it works really good.
21. Pedro0x posted on 04 Jan 2013, 12:36 0 2
Exynos 5250 destroys Atom, I read it at anandtech. SGX554MP4 is the most powerful GPU now with 76.8 GFLOPS (Mali t-604 has ´´only´´ 67.2 GFLOPS) but mali t-658 should have around 268.8 GFLOPS or even more and the next generation of SGX is Rogue which should have around 250 GFLOPS. If this will be true, then we will finally have Xbox performance because Xbox has around 200-230 GFLOPS.
25. abate posted on 04 Jan 2013, 13:51 0 0
WTF you are talking about? Did you read the article from the source? Pull out your fanboy face first.
18. krulll posted on 04 Jan 2013, 10:43 0 0
results and methodology applied in this test (and the last) has well are controversial (the Anandtech is a reputable site but never hid his hatred for ARM) that all further tests by other sites and professional point opposite results.
33. InspectorGadget80 posted on 04 Jan 2013, 17:42 0 0
I still haven't see any INTEL chips on any phones here in the States