Insider says HTC is "in utter freefall"
0. phoneArena 22 May 2013, 11:56 posted on
Today has not been a good news day for HTC. Earlier, we not only heard that the company's Chief Product Officer had left the company last week, but another of a string of employees to leave the company recently told his former colleagues to "just quit. leave now." It has been a rough week, and now an inside source for The Verge has said that HTC is "in utter freefall"...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
24. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
haha that was like an essay but i see what you mean if they just cement the one as a brand like galaxy or xperia is then they could really hit back hard e.g.. add some low-end to mid-end phones under the one name.
25. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
Don't break under pressure! Keep innovating!
27. Droiddoes (unregistered)
Did we really need a second article on this less than 10 hours after someone else wrote p much the exact same thing? What was the point of this?
*sees it's a micheal h article*
32. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
no its just becauses this is an incredibly slow news day....nothings happening....
28. tchad78 (Posts: 13; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
It's funny, I was debating leaving Big Red just for the One - Speakers on the front is the greatest idea for a smartphone. Maybe I'll check out the 928 from Nokia instead, supposed to be loud.
30. lovenyc8 (Posts: 164; Member since: 13 Mar 2013)
Verizon HTC One tipped for CTIA event unveiling today.
37. speckledapple (Posts: 892; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
I really do not think that HTC has ever produced a device that makes me consider leaving my carrier for.
52. tchad78 (Posts: 13; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
I'm still on my Bionic. There hasn't been a phone so over the top better that I would want to even upgrade. I have a hard time hearing anything on most speakers from smart phones and can only wear over the ear headphones, which sucks for portability. Decent camera and killer speakers - on a non ios platform - All I really want in a phone.
31. BadAssAbe (Posts: 456; Member since: 22 Apr 2011)
If HTC ONE really wanted to beat the SGS4, it should have had a 5in screen replacing the on screen buttons, while keeping everything else the same.
33. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
im sorry i dont see what the big deal is and how a device with 4.7inch display would lose to a device with a 5inch display...its 0.3inchs for christ sake! btw i prefer the galaxy....
42. lallolu (Posts: 462; Member since: 18 Sep 2012)
I believe the screen size is perfect; it is this idea of 4mp, ultra or not. It was a bad idea, I believe
73. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 779; Member since: 11 May 2013)
I think that average consumers would normally go for gs4.
SuperAmoled is nicer to hear than Slcd3, ave consumers dont know the difference
Gs4 and htc one besides each other- i think they will pick the bigger screen w/ less bezel than huge bezels that make the screen smaller
13mp or 4mp- former for the consumers
34. speckledapple (Posts: 892; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
When you build a company on being quietly brillant but also pointedly unoriginal, this will happen. HTC produced an over abundance of devices that simply did not cut it. They also produced ALOT of these devices that were either rehashes or simply useless. There was a time when they had it together but after the thunderbolt, they had clearly lost something that led today.
Do I feel sorry? No but its sucks for all those people who work for the company and probably saw the problems much sooner before we did.
36. rahulz (Posts: 117; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
Do not worry, things will always get worse before they get any better....
41. prokshit (Posts: 12; Member since: 20 Sep 2012)
For me it was SOFTWARE UPDATES! THEY DONT EVEN UPDATE THEIR FLAGSHIPS PROPERLY!
take Sensation and now Same fate is written for one X too.. and the same will b for Htc ONE ,One day ..
47. legend1 (Posts: 104; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
i'd hate to see htc go down like this HTC U NEED TO PULL UR SELF TOGETHER PLZ
55. SellPhones82 (Posts: 569; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
That turd was the beginning of their downfall! They became way too diluted and attempted to make each carrier happy by creating each one their own version of basiclly the same phone. Then with the One X they promised they were going to focus on one flagship, yet there were like 7 different versions of that phone as well. I was a big HTC supporter with the first EVO and even the Hero then they wanted to lock down the bootloader like Amazon and I was done!
53. protozeloz (Posts: 5396; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Well.. If they stopped making android look ugly and confusing, I mean blinkfeed could be nice, but users will end up using the rest of the phone witch is full of bloat and non intuitive, sense has so many downers, and fail to highlight key android features they need to get their game better, spend less money on adding useless visuals and adding more features to their device and a better marketing
61. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
There goes it is all marketing excuse. I see a ton of HTC One ads but it still doesn't make the so called superior HTC One more appealing to consumers than "cheap plastic." Maybe HTC needs to admit that they suck before they can turn it around. Thinking that your products are superior and you just need marketing is not the best approach at gaining your market share back. That is just dumb HTC fan thinking. The fan boys can be excused because they don't know any better but HTC as a company should know.
Maybe when Peter Chou resigns they can turn it around and I can finally get a perfectly built HTC phone. If they want to beat Samsung, they need to fix a lot of key issues.
1. Up your quality control by a HUGE margin. If Samsung phones don't have gaps all over the place, dead pixels on every second handset, rattling volume rockers, and buttons that just don't work sometimes, then you are not going to beat them if you have those things. And calling it a gapless design when there are gaps everywhere doesn't help your image any.
2. Place a huge emphasis on ergonomics. Placing buttons in retarded places is not appealing and putting the HTC logo in place of a helpful third button doesn't help your image any...
3. Stop making your phones so god damn big. The HTC 8x is taller than some 4.7 inch phones and the HTC One is taller than some 5 inch phones. Thin and sleek with a big battery is a good guideline that helps Samsung.
64. _PHug_ (Posts: 444; Member since: 11 Oct 2011)
Will there be an HTC Two?
I doubt it.
HTC fans see beauty in the One's design, all I see is wasted screen potential and an easily damaged back that requires a case.
69. 14545 (Posts: 1483; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Can't say I didn't see this coming. As JCP said, when you refuse to listen to your customers, or say "customers don't like bigger batteries", then you deserve everything that happens. HTC, *USED* to be "quietly brilliant". Or "No Longer Brilliant". Take your pick.
71. tiara6918 (Posts: 2034; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
HTC and CEO Peter Chou, you can face these challenges,this fall is the beginning of a new start. For all those haters just stfu. HTC will one day become the best smartphone manufacturer world wide
72. 14545 (Posts: 1483; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
I hope you are right, I just don't see it. Their products *used* to be great. Now they are just smoke and mirrors.
77. kanagadeepan (Posts: 920; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
Even though I am in Mad Love for my Note-2, I don't want HTC to fall down...
But there is NO change in my decision that "I won't purchase a HTC phonw without SD slot AND removable battery (Or atleast a large and usable one like RazrMAXX)"
81. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3718; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
That's what Samsung does, they announces the phone late but launches it as quick as possible. See the GS4 launched worldwide, HTC needs to learn these things from Samsung.
82. paceman (Posts: 4; Member since: 23 May 2013)
The HTC One is nice to look at but it is more slippery than Galaxy S4 with the metal body and it has worse connection. I think if HTC would release all their phones without Sense just clean Android and the ability to download Sense they would reach more customers. I do not like the new sense at all and I know many that agree. They must listen to their customers demand for Micro SD card slot and replaceable battery.
83. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 803; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
For all people chattering about HTC vs Samsung read on my story..
I bought HTC One S. The phone has amazing build, amazing hardware, best camera, amazing in its class. I loved my HTC. Then after few months, I noticed few issues/problems. These included hardware + software issues. I contacted HTC customer care several times to explain them my problem & what needs to be done, they could not give me a satisfactory reply. At one point in time, I felt why did I waste so much money on this phone? Why did I trust HTC? Finally after getting frustrated by HTC's customer care & technical support, I decided to sell away my phone just after 5 months of purchase. I exchanged it for a Samsung Galaxy S2. The phone is fantastic. Although it doesn't look as good as HTC, but the performance is solid & the phone is reliable. But this is not the end of story. I faced a hardware issue with this phone also. There was some problem with phone restarting. So, I contacted Samsung Support & within a day I received a call asking query about my problem. I told them & sent an email. My case was verified & solved within 6 days and to my "dis-believe", I was so excited to find out that Samsung is refunding all my money. I received the cheque within 4 days with full-refund. Even I thought that my case would not be entertained after the terrible experience from HTC. After the refund I purchased Galaxy S3 and I am really very happy with it. No problems since 7 months. I am aware that its looks font inspire much, but the device is amazing with the powerful performance. The device is best. Samsung is great in innovation. HTC is great in design, build & innovation, but are stubborn & idiots when comes to marketing and customer support.
84. snowgator (Posts: 3568; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Wow. Night and day experiences there. I have had bad experiences with HTC as far as support for WP (Titan and Titan 2) goes, but I chalked it up to their support of Android. Maybe it is just a symptom of the problem?
I own a WP Samsung Focus S, and have had several software updates and they seem to be updating there app selection - even though it is pitfully small. And Samsung doesn't even care about WP. Sounds like they understand at least the important side of customer support.
92. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 803; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
May be you are right. But my friends have had similar experiences. So, cant be totally sure about that. I wish HTC best of luck, coz I dont want company like HTC who have talented engineers (but terrible & dumb management) make the build quality & design of their devices better than any other on the planet. HTC One is the best one & as far as looks/build/design goes, it beats iPhone by a huge margin.
91. rawbow (Posts: 428; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
if i ever got a dollar for every time an employee "insider" badmouthed his/her company...man! i would be handing out those gold s4s and iphones for $2 ...you thought free didn't you :P.....nah i would be rich but not stupid !! \m/
94. Edmund (Posts: 656; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
'Burning platform'. Looks like android is working well for htc.
95. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3718; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Stupid HTC management and marketing team...