Indian smartphone market jumps 48% in 2012
0. phoneArena 31 Mar 2013, 17:19 posted on
According to IDC, the Indian smartphone market expanded by a whopping 48% in 2012 although featurephones are still controlling the country with a nearly 91% share of the Indian mobile phone market; Samsung is the leading vendor of phones in the region with local names dominating the niche for phones priced under $100...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
2. AamirSIII (banned) (Posts: 187; Member since: 04 Oct 2012)
wow thats a great survey! one can really start a successful business in these developing countries like India, Pakistan and others in the region
12. techspace (Posts: 828; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
the other countries in the region could take much more time...india and china will rise faster than the other countries because of the huge population and developing trillion dollar economies, increasing opportunities and with over 800 and 900 million mobile subscriptions respectively, even if 25% of them decide to switch to smartphones, they would surpass USA
13. techspace (Posts: 828; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
infact, china has already surpassed usa, india is expected to do the same, in near future...the manufacturers will love india and china...but the carriers will earn more in USA because of the ridiculously expensive call rates and data charges
15. RohanM (Posts: 135; Member since: 15 Jan 2013)
It's a wrong map. the old one. don't post anything if u don't know.
7. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
US always had a wrong version of Indian map from days of Nixon ... it's only recently that they are waking up to new global realities with China staring back at them :)
14. techspace (Posts: 828; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
they just wanted to show india, a full map is not necessary
4. RohanM (Posts: 135; Member since: 15 Jan 2013)
Yup the map is wrong. well sad for nokia to have 4th place. ones nokia was king in india!!
LG is nowhere. I like LG & still having my old Optimus Net.
Current phone - SGS3.
superb growth....& gr8 survey. :)
11. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Nokia has only just started shipping it's newer 520, 620, and 720 Lumia smartphones in India, and pre-orders have been mostly sold. Check back again in a year, and I think you'll find Nokia will be in either second or first place...
6. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Companies like Micromax, Karbon et al will always rule because everyone wants a quad cores 5 inch hd phone and they provide that in ~$250 range. All combined i guess local operators control more than 40% market share and it's really difficult to knock them off ...
8. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Micromax should've release their phones globally, I really wish to get my hands on it, Micromax will be a big hit if they do that, cuz they make affordable smartphones.
9. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Now they have forayed into LCD TV's. So really trying to be Local SAMSUNG ... currently concentrating more on subcontinent and Africa and Brazil also i guess. Their market share for tablets in India is greater than that of SAMSUNG ...
10. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Good news! 55" TV from Micromax? I cannot believe it!
But they also need to concentrate on some countries near India, like : China, Thailand, Malaysia, Myanmar etc.