If you can't beat them, buy them: Facebook acquires WhatsApp for $16 billion
0. phoneArena 19 Feb 2014, 16:42 posted on
Facebook strikes another deal in its attempt to conquer the mobile world. WhatsApp's messaging app will remain a standalone product, though, and the same is said about Facebook's messaging app...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
4. Blazers (Posts: 416; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
They say they'll run each service independently.....for now. It's obvious they bought the company for the users, not the service. Eventually they will merge them, like what Microsoft is doing with Skype. Most likely Whatsapp will be the one folded into FB messenger.
43. zibbyzib2000 (Posts: 221; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
Or how Google did it with YouTube. Now you can't even leave a comment without having a Google+ account. It sucks D!!!
52. sianto (Posts: 65; Member since: 11 Dec 2013)
Skype is the other way around, WhatsApp will be too, but then you need a FB account!
55. Kyokado (Posts: 115; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
In comclusion. FB will screw up WA. One SNS screwing another.
5. Salazzi (Posts: 537; Member since: 17 Feb 2014)
this is f**king garbage. Had I known it would go down this sh*tty path I'd have never bought the app. Dumbass whatsapp as well.. what'll they do when people increasingly leave facebook, causing it's revenue to fall, which in turn will cause a crashing stock?? Essentially they sold a really good app that people loved to a company people increasingly loathe, for a measly 4 billion.
9. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 10548; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
A company that people loathe and yet continues to be the biggest site in the world? Stop whining. Facebook bought Instagram and yet it's still seperate.
29. joey_sfb (Posts: 5256; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Face book need diversity to be reverent so its a correct move on facebook part.
33. lyndon420 (Posts: 3721; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Have to agree with you on this one. We live in a connected world for the most part, but I've done the Facebook thing twice now and I won't be going back because of all the whiners on there and the lack of anything really interesting keeps me from going back...I get what I need for my online social interaction fix between Google+, A.F.F. and now Twitter. Not sure about What's App...never felt the need to venture away from my usual default texting services yet, and nothing beats interacting through either a phone call or actually going over to a friends house (remember what social interaction was like before the internet? Lol).
7. Duketytz (Posts: 534; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
Nice now whatsapp can't display 'know why we don't sell ads' thing at the start. Another good app gone down the drain...
8. mottykels (Posts: 379; Member since: 15 May 2013)
I never use this app. I used fb msgr everyday
10. cse.vicky (unregistered)
I want my money back !
13. Topcat488 (Posts: 1392; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Well I used to praise this app. But if they require a person to open a FB account, then to hell with it. I don't have a FaceBook account, and I'm not planning on opening one in order to keep this great application. :(..... O.o
15. jeroome86 (Posts: 798; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Damn. Wont use What's app no more. Really sucks. Never trust Facebook.
16. kamen (Posts: 91; Member since: 18 Jul 2011)
Had I only knew, I would have never paid for two years! But, f*ck it - I've closed the useless FB account just as I'll dump WhatsApp
22. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 2016; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
He paid $16G for it when he could have downloaded for free smh
24. jjjsong (Posts: 74; Member since: 27 Dec 2011)
I wonder if whatsapp will become free. If so, I may install it back lol
28. sipha (Posts: 432; Member since: 12 May 2012)
So you mean you had unistalled it just cause of the $0.99 a year??
30. jjjsong (Posts: 74; Member since: 27 Dec 2011)
Even though it's only 0.99 a year, there are so many free apps that do the same thing or more/better for free. I don't find the the 0.99 justified.
32. kotan24 (Posts: 95; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Im staring to hate google, they want to turn everything into a fricking monopoly! Hate this Im through with whatsapp.
38. Kaiser2007 (Posts: 173; Member since: 16 Nov 2013)
You beat me to it. LOL.
I was reading coments, then post mine. I didn't refresh, so didn't see your post.
45. antifanboy14 (Posts: 68; Member since: 26 Nov 2012)
Facebook messenger is garbage...they should replace it with WhatsApp
47. chocowii (Posts: 432; Member since: 30 Jan 2014)
Never used WhatsApp. Honestly. I thought its some sort of App store back in prehistoric Symbian days.
49. saiki4116 (Posts: 379; Member since: 31 Mar 2011)
This is sad..Whatsapp use far less resources than FB messenger and still it's far better than messenger.it's pure messaging, now that FB acquired, they will make into something else.. Thank god, I have not bought the subscription still,
50. kamen (Posts: 91; Member since: 18 Jul 2011)
BTW, if you have paid but have not enterer into the paid year (I'm still in the bonus one), you can request a REFUND at wallet.google.com
I already did. And will be doing chargeback if they refuse (on reason that they, technically show ads, since itbis FB now)
51. kamen (Posts: 91; Member since: 18 Jul 2011)
When I think about it, I realize that WhatsApp CEO os a very clever man. Sold a sinking boat and secured a nice money flow as a FB director. Why sinking? Wait till mid of year when WhatsApp starts to request subscription andveveryone jumps the boat.
53. Cyberchum (Posts: 659; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Every American worry about privacy because their country is filled with social predators. And to those crying foul, Facebook is out to make money same way any other company out there and had you been in their position, you'd do same or worse and had your " friendly " Google bought it, you'd need a Google account to access it too so why all this brouhaha?
You don't use Facebook? well that's you, everybody mustn't be on it since there are numerous alternatives (my space is still up and running right) , you just have to go with what works for you.
I'll only be pissed if Whatsapp+ looses any of it's customizability options.
54. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1178; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
from the looks of things facebook are gonna keep things the same for now just will make profit and get their revenues don't see why you're all complaining !