ITC: Samsung guilty of infringing on Apple's text-selection patent
0. phoneArena 05 Apr 2013, 15:32 posted on
The ITC ruled last week that Samsung was guilty of infringing on an Apple patent for text-selecting, but had held back the release of the verdict until Thursday to allow both firms to redact any sensitive content; and revolves around the text selection in the Android browser but also the translucent buttons in the Android photo gallery...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. osmaankhaan (unregistered)
42. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
No, is terrifying, what's next? Stolen "icon" patent and later invalidated?
15. tedkord (Posts: 8321; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
So you read the part about the microphone jack.
24. Aeires (unregistered)
"All six commission members will hear the case in August and then make a final decision."
That part too. Until the final decision is made, it's still not conclusive.
31. lyndon420 (Posts: 3254; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
The iPhone has a microphone jack? Now that's new, brilliant, amazing, and most likely a typo.
41. darkkjedii (Posts: 17575; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Remember the Samsung commercial last year? The headphone jack is on the bottom POWWW!!! Lol
43. Alan01 (Posts: 319; Member since: 21 Mar 2012)
If you re-read the article, you will see that nowhere does it state that the Apple iPhone has a microphone jack. Apple happens to own the patent for a method to determine of a microphone is plugged into such a jack which was allegedly infringed on by the Samsung Transform.
20. sprockkets (Posts: 1608; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Yes it was. I'm sure you also will feel that way, seeing apple paying $368.2 million to a patent troll VirnetX + $330k daily royalty fine.
28. iushnt (Posts: 1258; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
Haha btw apple is getting what it deserves.. Bad reputation.. Poor Apple, scared as hell
3. HASHTAG (unregistered)
Samsung's "guily," eh?
4. darkkjedii (Posts: 17575; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
They do select text in a similar way, but I don't know about infringement.
5. moronman66 (Posts: 160; Member since: 09 Jan 2012)
So.... Samsung lost and won again? Am I the only one who's tired of hearing about these pointless lawsuits that really don't matter? It's obvious that Apple is going after Samsung because they're their major competition, the mobile device industry should be a rivalry, and Apple should try to better itself to have better sales if it wants to hurt Samsung, not break their knee caps with lawsuits.
8. ama3654 (Posts: 295; Member since: 27 Nov 2012)
I wonder what would have happened if it was Apple that invented the mobile phone(Luckily Not), the iphone just didn't appear out of thin air, they copied pretty much everyone to make the iphone, then patent every prior art they might have improved or so smh. They are stagnant and desperate now as everyone has moved way beyond them in technology and innovation, this is just gonna make people hate them more and more, IDIOTS!
25. darkkjedii (Posts: 17575; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Dang dude sounds like you're taking this kinda personal. IJS.
27. joey_sfb (Posts: 4759; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Apple is the latest player in the mobile phone market. That's a fact!
And its only them that start the whole sueing for sales ban bs. Others are happy to keep selling phones before apple appear in late 2007.
30. darkkjedii (Posts: 17575; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I agree, but he's still taking kinda personal.
32. lyndon420 (Posts: 3254; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
As a consumer he's pissed, and rightfully so.
33. darkkjedii (Posts: 17575; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
He doesn't sound like consumer, he sounds like a share holder.
34. joey_sfb (Posts: 4759; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
We are all stakeholder in this as apple try to rob us from our freedom to choose.
39. darkkjedii (Posts: 17575; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Oh c'mon now Joey. Stop it with the dramatics, if pepsi had it their way they'd be the only soft drink maker, if Porsche had it their way they'd be the only auto maker, and dare I say it...if Sammy had it their way they'd be the only handset maker. Greed drives big business bro
46. joey_sfb (Posts: 4759; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
The only good news from apple is they failed at getting the sales ban on any current products.
Let hope it remain that way.
48. quakan (Posts: 1319; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
Yeah Joey is definitely being overly-dramatic.
9. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
Damns apple suing on a 3phone yr old device? Com on sick tired of this shyt already
10. Taters (Posts: 6344; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Apple sucks. I have no idea how anyone can support them. HTC should have grown a pair and refuse to pay Apple.
13. darkkjedii (Posts: 17575; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
The law is the law, he's not necessarily supporting them. He's making a ruling based on the evidence. I once sat on a jury, and voted not guilty despite that I thought the guy was, cuz of the evidence. Stop thinking apples buying everyone off...Sammy could actually be in the wrong
11. jroc74 (Posts: 5732; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I guess this is the fall of Samsung. They will get hosed now.
I cant wait till all these lawsuits are over.
12. som (Posts: 768; Member since: 10 Nov 2009)
Rotten Apple suing Samsung on Android OS on "text selection". Apple didn't invented it, Apple stole and patented.
14. darkkjedii (Posts: 17575; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
If that's the case Motorola should sue everyone, cuz they invented the cell phone. So everyone stole and patented from Motorola.
16. highonandroid (Posts: 19; Member since: 06 Mar 2013)
suing for text selection, really apple ?
23. vincelongman (Posts: 3328; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
How can they even patent s**t like that?
17. osmaankhaan (unregistered)
samsung just throw a billon $ on their face which u earn every 2.4 days since its all about money for them
22. darkkjedii (Posts: 17575; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Hell in that case I'm suing them lol.
21. chemhaz (Posts: 161; Member since: 04 May 2012)
Another reason to hate Apple but hey its free publicity for Samsung. Just like the bargain $1B media coverage received last year.
26. gmracer1 (Posts: 646; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
I wonder if Apple will ever try to sue itself...
35. andymp3 (Posts: 15; Member since: 07 Dec 2010)
Who cares...so tired of apple and their lawsuits... You seem to be the only sites who cares so much when apple wins a suit... Just saying
36. speckledapple (Posts: 892; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
text selection has patent? good lord something is wrong with this system.
37. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
When they can stop this and leave the court? I'm tired of this childish thing, like two kids fighting each other!
38. Antonyjoseph (Posts: 216; Member since: 06 Apr 2013)
I guess income from lawsuits must be the most profitable Division of Apple's business now.
44. roscuthiii (Posts: 2009; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
I have no idea how "text selection" doesn't come under prior art, or at least FRAND, so as much as I'd like to blame Apple for filing the suit, I have lay double the blame on the ITC for saying, "Durr... you says 'dey 'fringed on yer patent? Okay boss!"
47. papss (unregistered)
Ah the copier and the suer...SS does copy many things so I'm glad they are getting hit where it hurts and Apple is obviously scared and trying to hold on to what they have and now looks foolish