IDC: Apple iPad's market share drops under 40% in Q1
0. phoneArena 01 May 2013, 15:29 posted on
Shipments of the Apple iPad dropped sharply in the first quarter of 2013 with the slates coming from the Cupertino based company representing 39.6% of all tablets shipped during the period; that represents a huge decline from the 58.1% share of the global market and while that was a 65% gain from last year, other tablet segments performed much better...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. ZeroCide (Posts: 714; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)
WOW others are kicking butt. :) It'll soon catch up to apple.
27. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
Apple's customers are completely different market so they don't need to catch up to Apple - their customers simply don't know there is any much better mobile OS (the biggest failure of Google's marketing),
proof, just facts:
1) Apple's customers buy mainly old models (iPhone 4S, old iPad, not iPhone 5 with poor results)
2) best seller of Android phones is the high end SGS3, best seller is always the high end in the Android world, not any low end or any old model
= different markets till they find they can have more and much better for lower price and Apple falls
28. amir1975 (Posts: 22; Member since: 18 Aug 2012)
I really enjoy watching people realize that Apple is nothing just a Logo and powerful propaganda.
i have an iPad mini too, planning to sell it and buy a SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 8.0 N5100.
a smart Geek! never buys apple products any more! they are too simple to satisfy a geek.
for Dumb people, they do.
32. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
I recommend you to wait for some next Nexus..... Samsung's updates suck....
34. amir1975 (Posts: 22; Member since: 18 Aug 2012)
thanks for advice, but Nexus series have a main problem which i encountered it in Apple products before :
they all suffer from lack of MICRO SD slot.
i really need it, so with all respects for Google products, i cant go for them.
2. samsungisthebest (Posts: 4; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
The important thing is the number of shipments because of many new low quality tablets begin to appear
18. Aeires (unregistered)
The important thing is the number of shipments because of many new high quality tablets begin to appear.
Samsung isn't making low end tablets and their sales are massively improving.
3. AngryAppleCustomer. (Posts: 30; Member since: 01 May 2013)
This is bad stats... Apple hasnt release any new products, and after everyone buys an apple product, there'd be less phones to purchase. Im very certain that when the iphone 6 comes out, the entire graph is gonna show apple, and youd need high resolution to even see a pixelnof samsung on it. Apple ftw.
4. tedkord (Posts: 6797; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Riiiiiight. Because Samsung didn't sell more smartphones than Apple when the iPhone 5 was released.
6. darkkjedii (Posts: 14734; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Ted this guy is the iOS version of GMracer1
8. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3135; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I don't understand his nick with respect to what he wrote.
12. AngryAppleCustomer. (Posts: 30; Member since: 01 May 2013)
Samsung sold something because they do it three months before an apple product releases. It would be suicide if samsung launched a device at the same time as an iphone release. Fact.
14. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Based on what, your opinion?
16. AngryAppleCustomer. (Posts: 30; Member since: 01 May 2013)
No, my facts are based on what phonearena posts.
13. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"This is bad stats..."
The fact that at the moment Apple has not released any new products doesn't make those stats wrong. So get your facts straight!
19. Aeires (unregistered)
Shut up, Taco.
5. Reverence (Posts: 224; Member since: 16 Jul 2012)
Asus gaining market share nothing surprising because nexus 7 is affordable, Apple losing and SAMSUNG GAINING MARKET SHARE WITH THOSE UGLY TABS=It's difficult to understand
22. joey_sfb (Posts: 4087; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
"UGLY TABS" based on one biased opinion. I happen to buy 24 units for a company and 2 different model for myself.
Will buy the third unit if Samsung get its specification and price right. Namely a 8" Super AMOEL, big.LITTLE processor and a kick ass GPU.
11. Hemlocke (unregistered)
The iPad Mini sold 12.5 million units last quarter, and the best selling Android tablet, the Nexus 7, hasn't sold 5 million since launch. Either this analyst is misinformed, the PENs who report "shipped" versus Apple's "sold" are lying, or the channel is just stuffed to bursting with Android tablets.
21. Aeires (unregistered)
I thought the Kindle Fire is the top selling Android tablet.
25. tedkord (Posts: 6797; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Calm down. It was always going to happen. We've seen it with Mac/PC. We've seen it with smartphones. Why would tablets be different?
15. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 5963; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
I think this analyst needs to analyze his inaccurate figures.
17. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
"Apple will have to rethink about criminally high profit margin" maybe sooner than expected.
20. lyndon420 (Posts: 2704; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Not expecting an answer from you, but some morbid curiosity has gotten the best of me. What are the accurate figures?
24. tedkord (Posts: 6797; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Any figures that don't show Apple at the top are inaccurate in his world.
23. tedkord (Posts: 6797; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
It was inevitable, just like with smartphones. You don't have to like the fact that Android is now outselling iOS in tablets as well as smartphones. You just have to live with it.
26. roscuthiii (Posts: 1887; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Asus makes the Nexus 7/10? Wonder if that's where they're seeing the massive growth from.
29. Aeires (unregistered)
Samsung makes the N10. Asus' Transformer series was a hot item as well.
30. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1304; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
And Alan "forgot" to mention that Android has now 56% of the market, being the first term that supasses Apple in total sales.
As much as he forgot to give the original source:
31. jacko1977 (Posts: 422; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
at WWDC they lie and say we got 80% market share like they did with the worlds thinnest phone and the screen being the best in the world while android handsets was pushing 350ppi at the time and nexus 7 vs ijunk mini