I chose Windows Phone
0. phoneArena 15 Jul 2013, 06:46 posted on
We've all been there. That glorious time when we're out on the market, looking for a flashy, new smartphone to replace our hugely outdated device. It's a time of joy, excitement and discovery! But even in a saturated and booming market, such as the smartphone one, it's quite surprising how finding what's best for you may prove to be so difficult. My personal experience from a few weeks ago was particularly challenging...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
21. Bootutu (Posts: 227; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
LIAR! WP apps/games stutter and lag like no tomorrow, your crappy hardware cannot handle it at all, and don't tell me about optimisation, i tried lumia 920 so don't even start to lie here, nice try though
27. yahoo29 (Posts: 71; Member since: 15 Sep 2012)
Do you have WP8 or Lumia? I think you dont coz many users that have Lumias are happy because it doesnt lag unlike my android that have 2 core 1ghz and 1gb of ram lags like a hell.
28. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
droid phones lag even in homescreen.everyone knows this fact.
38. Bootutu (Posts: 227; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
you haven't tried a nexus device that's why you are coming out with this nonsense, try HTC One both sense and GE edition, Nexus 4, GS4 GE edition, Galaxy Nexus, fluid as you like plus play hi-res games at full framerate, but boy you can't say same with WP, ok the UI is extremely light with hardly any customisation, no suprises there it will be smooth, but fire up those games and enjoy your long lag and stutter ride lol....
68. sss_ddk (Posts: 73; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
I have a nexus 4 and i do notice lag. so are many nexus 4 owners on XDA. by the way, calling someone a LIAR just because you disagree with them is very rude and...weird.
41. yahoo29 (Posts: 71; Member since: 15 Sep 2012)
thats why I want to #Switch or just buy Google Edition >.
97. sorcio46 (Posts: 434; Member since: 27 Jul 2011)
"the third party editions like CM10 are just waste of time as they never completely work and you end up updating your phone every week"
Totally wrong, here I use CM10.1 on my Nexus 4 and EVERYTHING works fast and smooth, my device can crank every Lumia out there even with tons of personalization I've build it with ;-)
16. Bootutu (Posts: 227; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
This is only gonna come from RAY to the S. The biggest Apple fanboy!, now bashing Android, not surprising at all, well enjoy your flip flop over animated tiles. LIAR!!!
22. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Bootutu is a paid shill, working for the competition, and his/her sole purpose for being here is to write fundamentally negative and dishonest comments about Nokia and/or Microsoft products and services. He/She will also bash someone when someone have changed to a OS / manufacturer that he/she don't like.
PhoneArena, please stop allowing mean ignorant paid bashers working for other companies to interfere with the review and feedback process!
30. Bootutu (Posts: 227; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
booohoohu!!!, touched a nerve eh....well face the facts dude/miss, the sales of WP tells you everything-its damn rubbish...and to come and see this Apple fanboy bash Android, nop i ain't having it...no one is paying me, just stating the facts, PERIOD!
66. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
wait for q2 results in this week dude.
ELOP has hinted its selling really good
157. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Android has already peaked in popularity. Flexibility, yes...but at the cost of security? No way - I want my WP8.x device now!!!
Third ecosystem is here to stay: just deal with it.
Paid shills ;o)
32. rd_nest (Posts: 1578; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
xperiaDROID is a paid shill, working for the competition, and his/her sole purpose for being here is to write fundamentally negative and dishonest comments about Nokia and/or Microsoft products and services. He/She will also bash someone when someone have changed to a OS / manufacturer that he/she don't like.
PhoneArena, please stop allowing mean ignorant paid bashers working for other companies to interfere with the review and feedback process!
17. PermanentHiatus (Posts: 267; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
512MB of RAM. My condolences.
With new phones coming out, you picked the worst time to downgrade.
76. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
They're still making phones with 512MB RAM in 2013???
197. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Yes indeedy. A lot of them run Android, even!
108. yeahone (Posts: 5; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
512mb still no lag. 1gb ram later "out of memory" my ipad works fine with 512. Android cannot
18. protozeloz (Posts: 5396; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Honest Question why not the The Google play edition devices cross your mind? The price?
19. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
lol. he just stated his opinion that he enjoyed the experience of owning a windows phone.
and yet you down him in doing so.
this just shows that the android (ios) community is just garbage. and have no self respect.
35. lovefist (unregistered)
Android community ain't garbage. Don't judge everyone just because of the actions of some. Chill dude.
93. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
most Android lovers come here just to bash other for not chossing android thats really irretating btw
25. yahoo29 (Posts: 71; Member since: 15 Sep 2012)
I like what the editor says, I am an Android User for now but I think I need to #switch because of sometimes Android Lagness, and I dont like that. Yeah I know many android user are saying that this is garbagy or trash but you know it is just an editors self story we dont need to says bad thing to him that Switching WP8 is just a crap, but the only thing that makes me dont buy WP8 is because of immature app store.
36. maseholic (Posts: 11; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
Previously i own an android, then i got boring and tried wp lumia 820. After using it for several months, i want to switch back to android. I am totally boring with WP interface and insufficient good apps.
39. Jason2k13 (Posts: 1114; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
Ray S, i think its obvious that you got paid for this article.
47. Mozarrt (Posts: 301; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
Fandroids getting all butthurt.
Great article Ray S, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I had the same experience going from a HTC Mozart to a Xperia S, Android just has lots of things I don't need and the essential stuff worked much better on WP7.5. All the basic functions are much easier to use (and less crowded) than their counterparts on Android. Ofcourse I don't have 800.000 apps to choose from, but just checking my Lumia 920 I only have 5 3rd party apps on it (Facebook/Whatsapp/Planner/2 News apps).
I recognize the faults Windows Phone has (notifications not working like it should, not enough theme colors etc..), but the overall experience still trumps Android.
Have fun with your Lumia 720 Ray!
52. Bootutu (Posts: 227; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
"I recognize the faults Windows Phone has (notifications not working like it should, not enough theme colors etc..), but the overall experience still trumps Android"
You state all that limitations to name but a few and still say experience trumps Android, you must be really slow....
57. Mozarrt (Posts: 301; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
Actually I think you are pretty slow, I have seen you post on multiple news articles venting your opinion as fact, and then get all defensive when somebody mentions it.
Every operating system has faults and so does Windows Phone, but I think the limitations WP has (Android has other limitations and faults) don't make it a lesser phone, these are still problems than can be worked on. Overall (Now I'm talking about the entire OS), it is in my opinion (MY OPINION) that WP8 trumps Android 4.2 in user experience.
I do like Android, I have some cheapo Chinese tablet running it, but I just prefer WP and think its better.
48. bohdan4ik13 (Posts: 103; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
I like HTC WP 8s most, but I'm a great fan of android games, so Windows Phone is not my choice at this time.
60. Mozarrt (Posts: 301; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
I agree, as a game platform Windows Phone isn't very good, I often download games just to delete them minutes afterwards. Luckily for me I don't care to much about them, but for others it could be a dealbreaker.
The HTC 8S Windows Phone is pretty good, I use it as a secondary device next to my Lumia 920, but I do think it could of needed some better specs, but it is a Low/LowMidrange device.
54. srvricky (Posts: 12; Member since: 14 Jul 2013)
Not, agreed Mr.
why will u even think of a lumia 720 against SGS4 ??
I once thoght same like u did, I also thought I'll manage with less apps as I don't have time to use much.. I bought lumia 820 exchanging my S2 & guess what, I exchanged my phone after 30 minuts of use, I gifted it to my GF & bought S3..It is never a thing to buy if u have ever used any HTC or SAMSUNG flagship. no , never...yukkkk
58. Mozarrt (Posts: 301; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
Can you state why you didn't like the 820?
59. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Nice read, but I'm afraid you've switched from the wrong reasons. If you root your phone and install a custom ROM - you can get android to be exactly like you want. Without lag, with quick access to the important stuff and with a consistent UI design.
62. Mozarrt (Posts: 301; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
Ray S states:
"Windows Phone, as found on a quality Nokia Lumia device, has proven that it can offer a compelling and worry-free experience"
When you buy a new smartphone, you want it to be worry free from the beginning, if you need to root and tinker with your device to get it worry free something has obviously gone wrong. Normal consumers don't want to root and install custom roms, they just want it to work the moment the phone starts up for the first time.
61. Lyngdoh (Posts: 234; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
Either M$ has paid Ray for this article to promote windows phone or Ray has gone completely retarded ro show how biased he is
64. hms2407 (Posts: 94; Member since: 25 Apr 2013)
so phonearena keeps on complaining that a 1ghz dual core phone wont survive in the market,phones with 512mb ram are good for nothing and yet they are using one,how ironic
67. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3702; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Guys respect other opinions or decisions, Ray is telling his experience and he's not forcing you to choose a WP, it's up to you and after all WP does not lag just like Android is and that's why it needs less hardware specs as compared to Android. Android's ecosystem / Playstore is dense but WP is catching up with it. Also Nokia is coming back slowly, steadily and strongly.
71. saransh28 (Posts: 6; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
12-07-13 bought the nokia lumia 520 and after taking to home realised that the camera button not working
13-07-13 took the phone to retailer and he kept it and said that he will have to take it to Nokia care
14-07 its Sunday so Nokia care is closed
15-07 retailer said that the company said they will take 2 days to take any action because they have to check that the phone is not water damaged.
**bleep** is this! Why cant Nokia accept that its their fault and replace the phone on the spot. I an never buying a Nokia again.
77. StreetNerd (Posts: 819; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
its policy... its same with other OEMS...
79. saransh28 (Posts: 6; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
so what is the policy will they replace it with a new phone or will repair it and diappoint me again?
198. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
It's up to them, just like any other warranty process. They are likely to replace it with another unit and refurbish the defective unit you sent in to fully-functional like-new condition.
174. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
well...why do you blame Nokia when it's a retailer or salesman fault?
72. Sarajevo (Posts: 38; Member since: 30 Nov 2012)
I agree with this article. But, people think if they are heavy users with complex needs that everybody is.
73. bloodline (Posts: 706; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
ray continues to destroy phonesarena. This guy should of been sacked years ago
74. sbw44 (Posts: 433; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
Nice, truthful article! lol the brains of the android fanboys are malfunctioning right now!
What a bunch of whiners!
78. papss (unregistered)
I jumped from android and couldn't be happier.
183. papss (unregistered)
Don't hate me because I'm lovely :)
82. ricco (Posts: 18; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
Guys, I feel like Ray. My last 3 phones ar android (including low an high end models) and it simply does not connect to me properly. I like Ray do not watch full lenght movies, install various ROMs, I simply like watching Youtube, calling, recieving calls, sms, some basic apps and more important - I need fluidity and durability anb both are NOT here in android right now. What a heck, when Sony is cabable of producing nice android handsets, but fails to make some critical software improvements thus ruining all great experience. Or Samsung phones with ugly and not durable back covers. So, androids are for selected and not for all. This means - it's a chance for Lumias.
I am looking to switch to Nokia Windows phones and maybe will do it this winter.
RED Lumia 720 - GREAT choice!
84. thorny (Posts: 3; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
I totally agree with Ray S.
Though there are things that Android is better than WP, these are the areas i think Nokia/Wp is better than Android (same price range):
- Longer battery
- better Nav/GPS/Map
- Nicer built (more colors)
- No lag
- better photos
103. sorcio46 (Posts: 434; Member since: 27 Jul 2011)
- Battery is replaceable and in most battery benchmarks we find only Android devices winning (Note 2, GS4, razr maxx...)
- Android has Google maps that is that good in every part of the world, and is updated very fast, here sometimes Nokia map fails cause is not upgraded that well, plus Android has the best navigation app TomTom ;-)
- WP has no personalization, so more colors in what?
- WP lags sometimes, maybe a bit rarely compared with Android (cause of its incredible simple UI and 0 personalization)
- It just depends on the camera, A Lumia 710 has a midrange camera, a GS4 can outperform it easily ;-)
WP is only for people that enjoys limits and hates Apple with its iOS
121. thorny (Posts: 3; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
Thanks. Here are my counter points:
- Have to pay for extra battery (money issue). Battery benchmarks are not true. I am sure that a Nokia WP can last longer than a same price range Android phone. I emphasize same price range. Thats because i think standby time in WP is longer.
- GG maps needs data plan. Nokia maps doesnt. Besides Nokia masp offer free turn by turn, voice-guided nav. Thats my experience. I dont think Tomtom is global or accessible in SE Asia.
- I mean more colorful covers --> more beautiful.
- Lumia 720 can shot better photos than any same level Android phone (300usd). Thats for sure.
Welcome your comments
129. sorcio46 (Posts: 434; Member since: 27 Jul 2011)
- Seriously? I choose Battery benchmarks over the opinion of a WP customer, numbers talks mate Android devices win hands down ;-) I can call bus**t if you say that a Lumia 720 can last more than a Razr Maxx or a Note 2
- Maps needs data plan only to calculate the route at the beginning and as Nokia maps it need mobile data to provide traffic info and even Nokia maps has to use an internet connection to download and update its maps. TomTom is global, use google before posting with very good maps and offline navigation. Nokia Maps are full of big errors here, they need to be updated, but they don't care...
- A lot of Android smartphone have different covers in different colours
- I don't think so, an Xperia S will outperform it easily (see the review)
151. Fernandezxc (Posts: 42; Member since: 12 Mar 2012)
i didnt want to comment but u forced me to
- Razr Maxx and Note 2 are much more costly than Lumia 720
- Nokia maps has better offline services than Google maps thus saving you data costs
- According to my opinion the color tiles of windows phone look great and better if u hve a lumia cos u can get a yellow Lumia 720 and match it with yellow tiles on the screen, awesome r8?
- I doubt the xperia S being for 300 but anyway when comparing lens / low light the lumia 720 outperforms it, u know its not always about no of megapixels
156. thorny (Posts: 3; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
- You dont understand same price range?? 720 much cheaper than Razz max or Note 2. and i doubt that Razz max can last longer than 720 for a moderate user.
- Nokia map = total offline. think about a foreign country where you have no local sim. How can you go online in the middle of the street?
- Lowlight shot. 720 outperform Sony S.
- Sorry. I dont mean the cover of the phone. I mean the Nokia phone itself is more colorful, no need cover. Android = same black or white most of the phones.
- I dont see many Android phones are more beautiful than 720. However, this is just my personal taste.
167. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
the best navigation? hmm...you must try Nokia maps before judging.
199. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
The Windows Phones tend to have smaller batteries than the competitive androids. With bigger batteries they'd likely beat the androids hands-down, but with those smaller batteries they still last a long while. Their standby longevity demonstrates their strengths in efficiency - like processors and RAM, going more with less. Who needs removable batteries nowadays anyway with so many external battery options available and charging ports everywhere? And what do you even charge those batteries with?
TomTom isn't the best. Good, but not best. Google's mapping strengths stem from its ground-based imagery (street view).
The 710 was entry-level, with an average camera. The 720, though, has the same optics as a 920, but lacks the same flash and OIS (if I recall correctly), so it's pretty good, especially for the price.