Huawei CEO: since the S4 is a 'so-so smartphone' and Apple is 'slipping,' we can be third by 2015
0. phoneArena 24 Jun 2013, 04:06 posted on
"In its latest update, Apple makes the phone extremely simple to use. But if we are just learning from them we can’t catch up, because they are now slipping. We want to go higher than them..."
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
101. whoyton2 (banned) (Posts: 142; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Hmmm yeh I mean the p6 is a quite nice looking phone if they carry on doing what they are doing its possible!
5. Jason2k13 (Posts: 673; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
the most advance phone right now, is a 'so-so'? Huawei maybe let the sales talk?
13. _Bone_ (Posts: 2142; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
And there you have it, they are already third.
24. Jason2k13 (Posts: 673; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
Ok now show me a 2013 graph where the XZ and HTC one exist.
14. SonyXperiaNexus (Posts: 374; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
so they think they can beat Samsung, Sony, LG, and maybe Nokia if the windows blue update is good enough? I have no problem with them trying but Huawei is getting too full of itself these days, first the stuff about buying nokia and now this. Heres a tip from me Huawei, change your name first, I couldnt get the name right without looking at it in the title of the article.
88. SonyXperiaNexus (Posts: 374; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
"The industry is so dynamic" and "we can be third by 2015". After 2 years, wp and hence nokia is bound to evolve as well as many other companies. Samsung and Apple are not the only thing you should worry about Huawei...
17. _Bone_ (Posts: 2142; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Heard this from the iSheeep and HTCows before and look how far Samsung's dream went. Huawei has similar ambitions, and can you blame them?
117. Trex95 (Posts: 572; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
And for sure your'e from Samsung toys fan. Let's be honest Samsung can't compete with S4 that's why Samsung start pushing a new S4 under different names S4 Nexus, S4 zoom.. etc
16. tiara6918 (Posts: 1692; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Huawei is too confident. They are great with selling their devices especially with the price tag their giving to their handsets. But to be a 3rd in the smartphone manufacturer, I don't think so just yet. There are still many competitors out there like Lenovo,LG,htc,Sony and Nokia. You know what they say,easier said than done
25. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Huawei's target is only Samsung and Apple. Huawei wants to beat Apple first, then beat Samsung. It will be possible for Huawei to beat Apple since Apple is lacking innovations, but beating Samsung may be a little bit difficult.
35. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
By beating Samsung and Apple you are basically beating them all! There is innovation in the new iOS 7, it's a fresh revamp for sure, and to tiara6918, they are talking the talk, but can they ... walk the walk?
20. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
Not when you're a rich Dubai Oil Prince! *ding*
28. Potato. (banned) (Posts: 607; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
"We want to provide the best, most beautiful, slimmest smartphone – this one [Galaxy S4] is much thicker. We’re not made of plastic"
Plastic got trolled again even by "CEO of Huawei"
This is really annoying now Sammy..
46. Lyngdoh (Posts: 225; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
4 truths to be noted here.
1. CEO looks grumpy.
2. Huawei can't even beat samsung at its home turf.
3. I dont know any real innovation from Huawei.
4. HTC, Lg, Sony are more preferable brand.
Good luck with your dreams! Keep sleeping.
78. jonartpop (Posts: 162; Member since: 25 Oct 2012)
If they want be third they have to be better at rolling software updates for their android smartphones. I've never seen news about Huawei updating software for their smartphones.
82. PermanentHiatus (Posts: 267; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
Seems impossible, but if you look at the numbers it's highly probable. Since Apple's market share is only 9%, it wouldn't take much for Huawei at 3% to surpass them.
And going by the sinking demand for iPhones, Huawei may not even need 2 years to do it.
86. Altair (Posts: 349; Member since: 02 Feb 2012)
Huawei = a thief copycat. They have a big mouth in both ways.
"But if we are just learning from them we can’t catch up, because they are now slipping."
This comment tells everything about Huawei's way to do business. They actually admit that they have been copying Apple, but now they think it is not worth copying anymore.
If you look at that phone more closely. It is actually just like iPhone with minor cosmetic changes.
90. taikucing (unregistered)
too much confident? The name 'Shamesung' is better than wahwei. Wait, oppo has a better name
91. wando77 (Posts: 355; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
Samsung aren't updating their specs every month. The zoom and active are for a different audience and samsung have downgraded certain specs in those devices not just improved them. Active has worse camera and screen but has the waterproof feature and zoom is just naff specs full stop but with an awesome camera. What I want is an active with a zoom camera on (with the normal s4 screen)
92. TheCynicalTechie (Posts: 78; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Samsung should stop with their chips and just put something more powerful in their phones. The Snapdragon 800 and the Intel Atom Clovertail+ beat the Exynos Octa in the benchmarks. That is not a coincidence. That is incompetence.
94. FlushGordon (unregistered)
His face looks like a Chinese Mafia or something
97. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3059; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Huawei.... How to pronounce? This CEO has no respect for others and he's overconfident and has much attitude.
98. Leo_MC (Posts: 639; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
In a twisted world where Samsung's bad, ugly products dominate the markets, this guy may turn out to be right.
103. Stuntman (Posts: 796; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
I want a smartphone so thick that it can last 12 hours with the screen on using LTE.
104. a961009 (Posts: 119; Member since: 04 Aug 2011)
I think Hwawei cannot beat samsung until 2015 because in Asia(except china) Soooooo many people still don't know Hwawei and and at least in korea Hwawei never be the first because Koreans only like Samsung and LG other than other brands.
106. Taters (Posts: 3654; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
I think Huawei has an outside shot though. But first they need to lose the HTC mentality where they think they are creating better products than the competition when they are actually not.
I think they need a Logo redesign too in order to do it. The fan and flower thingy won't cut it in North America and Europe. Their logo is suicide like using the name Butterfly for your handset. The yanks needs something more rice rocket/macho race car logo like Droid DNA. lol
107. androidfanboy (Posts: 162; Member since: 24 Jun 2013)
They need to learn to update their phones first coz my sister got a huawei phone running android 2.2 and it didn't get a single update
113. pixelado (Posts: 130; Member since: 16 Feb 2013)
Huawei ruined me, their phones can actually get hard-bricked with an official update.
I really hate that brand now. Making nice looking hansets with crappy software isn't a winning formula.
114. GeekMovement (Posts: 1580; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
Huawei is not even known here in America. If they want to be #3 they'd better start bringing their flagships to the US carriers. But even with that, I doubt Huawei will surpass Apple or Samsung or even Nokia.
118. leaderpvp (Posts: 17; Member since: 26 May 2013)
At least one CEO looking at the real position of things :)