Huawei CEO: since the S4 is a 'so-so smartphone' and Apple is 'slipping,' we can be third by 2015
0. phoneArena 24 Jun 2013, 04:06 posted on
"In its latest update, Apple makes the phone extremely simple to use. But if we are just learning from them we can’t catch up, because they are now slipping. We want to go higher than them..."
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
Man this Huawei CEO has an ego and a half, don't really like him at all. Hope what he says fails, don't like Huawei and their attitude. He's getting his hopes a bit to high, but not saying what he says is impossible, its possible for sure and could most likely happen.
4. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Yu is being confident, which is a good thing, I like his attitude. Unlike Samsung, Samsung is being over-confident, Samsung wants to be ahead of others by updating their phone's specs every month (S4 Active, S4 Zoom, S4 with Snapdragon 800 etc.).
Not gonna talk about Apple, since Apple is lacking their innovations.
6. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
Wait what? Do you mean this guy is JUST confident, he's got an Ego bigger than Madonna, Pharrel and Kanye West COMBINED! He's the most over confident out of the CEO's whilst making pretty large statements that *could* be wrong. Samsung I find is a little less confident and should be more confident!
12. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Then what about Samsung? Updating their phone's specs every month, and wants to be ahead of others forever. If this isn't over confident then it's what? I'm not hating Samsung but they're DEAD wrong this time.
Yu and Huawei is trying their best to MAKE IT POSSIBLE.
26. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
But how do you make it possible? How they are making it possible I think is the wrong direction. The CEO is basically the figure head of your company, yes having a confident one can tell a lot about what the company is striving for (but you don't want an overzealous, super ego CEO that basically looks like a douche, bad for company image), but all CEO's are as confident as each other. I'm just against the whole "Samsung sucks, we best, Nokia, LG, and Sony don't exist" attitude.
37. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Huawei and Yu's target is only Samsung and Apple. And they didn't say "We are the best, no one can beat us. Samsung sucks.", they only want to beat Samsung and Apple. That's all.
40. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
" ... only want to beat Samsung and Apple ..." THAT IS LIKE, THE WHOLE MARKET! You beat them! You beat them all! But what I do like is that they are competing with the top, not who's on their level (Nokia, LG, Lenovo, Sony-ish) which will give them more incentive to climb to the top! (Please no)
48. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Oh yeah, I forgot about that... Why they are competing with the top, not who's on their level, which will give them more incentive climb to the top.
74. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
"But what I do like is that they are competing with the top, not who's on their level, which will give them more incentive climb to the top".
I agree with you on this one.
30. tech2 (Posts: 2904; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
So you are saying that the statement, 'S4 is a so-so smartphone' is not being over confident ? Its their biggest threat and yet he fails to acknowledge his competition.
Updating the phones is a sign of being competitive not being over confident !
BTW, all the different variants of S4 serves different consumers. That's called basic market segmentation and that is what Samsung doing !
Dont let your prejudices make decisions for you !
108. predator93 (Posts: 122; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
Don't expect a CEO to praise a competitor's product (very few individuals do so), they are most likely to say they are the best even if their products sucks.
93. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 728; Member since: 11 May 2013)
Huh?? Samsung managed to make big difference in Android..
Their S and Note flagships, the newly released s Active, Ativ Q, and Galaxy NX..
i cant blame them for being confident with the S flagship that attracted so many controversies this year as it has a winning formula from s2 and s3.. Sony HtC, Oppo, Huwaei, Lenovo and LG are always trying to change things BECAUSE THEY FAILED LAST YEAR!
Hmm this made HTC get their winning formula with htc One..
As for now, there is a perceived worrisome from Samsung evidenced by design 3.0, carbon fiber, taking OIS as a key, wider Software developer team, automation of manufacturing process etc
109. whysoserious (Posts: 317; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
Yu and Huawei is trying their best to MAKE IT POSSIBLE.
Samsung IS MAKING IT POSSIBLE.
7. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1124; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I honestly think he has a bit of a cocky attitude ! but that's me
19. Potato. (banned) (Posts: 607; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
They can't beat Nokia.
If they think they could be on third then what about other two positions?
I think Apple is gonna lose this time.
41. whoyton2 (banned) (Posts: 142; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Dude anyone can beat Nokia in the state they are at the moment!!,
47. whoyton2 (banned) (Posts: 142; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Except Xiaomi and huawei then yes but except for them and other non heard off random Chinese manufacturers then yes.....
54. Potato. (banned) (Posts: 607; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Not even HTC, Sony and LG.
I know they are good but they can't beat Nokia.
81. whoyton2 (banned) (Posts: 142; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Lol they are beating Nokia at the moment dude so your point was just invalidated....
96. Astro551 (Posts: 46; Member since: 18 Dec 2011)
Depends what you mean by "beating Nokia". In terms of profits, I'm not too sure on the figures but I doubt that anyone apart from Samsung or Apple are making that much comparatively.
In terms of global market share for mobile phones however, HTC, Sony, and LG; they don't even the scratch the surface compared Samsung, Nokia, and Apple.
Check out these stats from Gartner (May 2013) :)
LG Electronics: 3.7%
Sony Mobile Communications: 1.9%
Although this is at the current time. I think the Huawei CEO's stance is fair, Apple's reign is starting to peak I feel. Samsung is still going strong, but I also think they've lost a bit of traction.
Nokia is where I'm placing my bets at the moment, they've had some serious downturn but I feel like they're coming out strong now. Lumia + Asha innovations will get them there. That's my prediction anyway :P
111. Potato. (banned) (Posts: 607; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Stop putting "lol" in your comments and read Astro551's comment.
95. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
He should keep dreaming. Another big mouthed CEO. This is the best joke i read today.
2. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
And to think I was actually starting to like huawei, "s4 is a so-so phone" LOL biggest joke of the century, I don't know about you but 8 cores, 1080p amoled, most advanced OS in the world is hardly so-so, the s4 smashes the p6 and destroys all other huawei phones! Third place is ridiculous as lg and Sony are both awesome as well and with the g2 and the zu coming huawei can I only dream!.....huawei stop hacking the US databases and then maybe people in first world countries may buy your phones!
8. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
I really think you're a huge troll, but what you said is very right in the first two statements.
42. whoyton2 (banned) (Posts: 142; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
My honest view is android I'd the best os in the world and Sony, samsung and htc and lg are the best manufacturers in the world.....how does this make me a troll if I honestly believe it??
22. Potato. (banned) (Posts: 607; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
S4 is a so-so phone..
Stop trolling and accept the fact.
Plastic isn't gonna won every time.
27. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
Wouldn't call it a "so-so" phone nor the "Next Big Thing!", it's a good over all phone with some pretty top edge specs, it's just the design and build quality, yuck.
29. Potato. (banned) (Posts: 607; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
"so-so phone" means there is no innovation.
Only some improvements in design and updated hardware.
32. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
I disagree with you this time. S4 has some innovations, such as Smart Scroll, Air Gesture etc. , sometimes it is gimmicky but sometimes it is useful you know.
51. Potato. (banned) (Posts: 607; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Well I agree with you. They are useful. I am not hating or bashing Samsung.
Just wanna remind Samsung fanboys that Samsung ins't the best in everything. They should respect others manufacturers too. You can check Whoyton comments
45. whoyton2 (banned) (Posts: 142; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
So so phone means a mid range phone dude......
56. Potato. (banned) (Posts: 607; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
You should improve your English really. "so-so phone" means the phone is same like others, nothing revolutionary and innovative.
And thats what CEO said
68. whoyton2 (banned) (Posts: 142; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
So-so meaning: Neither very good nor very bad; passable
That is funnily the same definition of a midrange phone....
67. Jason2k13 (Posts: 774; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
So so phone, innovation or not it's the sales that matters to a business to gain market share, so you can't exactly call Huawei's biggest competition a so so phone.
The S4 has the best spec's so far, one of the only phone with a super amoled HD, SD card, removable battery, one of the biggest battery on a 5 inch phone with the most unique features. If that's a so so phone, then what are the other phones called?
Remember just because a phone has a certain innovative feature it doesn't mean it's an innovative feature to someone else. It's the whole user experience that counts, not by one or 2 feature.
76. Potato. (banned) (Posts: 607; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Sadly but the BUTTERFLY S has got all the things you mentioned and even 3200mah battery.
80. whoyton2 (banned) (Posts: 142; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Yeh but the butterfly s hasn't got touchwiz innovative smart features nor has it got a superior 13mp camera....
85. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1059; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
And also doesn't have a amoled screen..
112. Potato. (banned) (Posts: 607; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Touchwiz and Amoled are personal choices.
It shouldn't be considered as "advantage"
Many of the people prefer Sense over Touchwiz and SLCD3 over Amoled.
89. Jason2k13 (Posts: 774; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
And is alot thicker and heavier than the S4, and I'm sure the S4 will have a lot more software updates.
105. Taters (Posts: 4307; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Not even close actually. What makes the GS4 impressive is that it not only has a 2600 mah battery, the overall dimensions are close to the Xperia ZL and smaller than some 4.7 inch phones including the GS3/HTC One and it does this at 7.9mm thin and super light.
Sure you and many HTC/Nokia fans do not see the value in something being as compact and light as possible while still maintaining a fat battery because you like HUGE, big, fat phones with small batteries but most people rather enjoy the direction Samsung takes. And the Butterfly S is huge and fatty. Make no mistake about that.
31. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1124; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
-1 to your sir
and specs are but a gimmick when they're as high as they currently are on the S4
115. Taters (Posts: 4307; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Gorilla Glass 3 and DDR3 ram are anything but gimmicks. They make the phone tangibly better..unlike something people might not even want, like blinkfeed or OIS.
120. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1059; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
OIS is a gimmick? You never fail to amaze me.
10. ihatesmartphone (unregistered)
Huawei just like Huawei vs Apple..
And China vs US
But I believe they can reach that..
Or even in the first spot since China has bigger population and largest smartphone market and they are quite big in their home country..:)
11. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
They are very big words, but it's *possible*.
21. Potato. (banned) (Posts: 607; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Big words but it is possible.
Huawei Ascend Mate and Ascend 6 are really like a challenge to all.
43. whoyton2 (banned) (Posts: 142; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
No no they aren't.....people don't even know how to pronounce the name let alone want to buy one!!
65. Potato. (banned) (Posts: 607; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
They can't produce means they can't get success?
I salute your thinking.
People even can't pronounce your name, whats now?
75. whoyton2 (banned) (Posts: 142; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
What the hell are you talking about that was a mush of un identifiable words slung together.....I could report you for non English content but I'm nice so I won't!
79. Potato. (banned) (Posts: 607; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
English isn't my native.
83. whoyton2 (banned) (Posts: 142; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
I said I won't report besides I like foreign people I wish I wasn't English :(
100. darkkjedii (Posts: 14734; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I say they should go for it, why not...