How to update your Motorola DROID X to Gingerbread
Before you install the update, make sure that you are not using a leaked Gingerbread build, as the phone needs to be running stock Android 2.2.1 Froyo, System Version 2.3.340 first. You can check this by going into the Setting and clicking About Phone. If your DROID X is showing that it is on System Version 2.3.340, you can proceed with the official Gingerbread update by doing one of the following:
- Select System Updates in the About Phone menu, and the device will download the 112MB file and automatically install it. This is the recommended method. Since it is a large file, you may want to do this over Wi-Fi so it takes less time to download.
- (PROCEED WITH CAUTION) The second option is to manually download the update.zip file on your PC from here, and then copy it to your phone's memory card in the root directory (do not place it in a folder). Then turn the phone off. The next step is to press-and-hold-down the Home key and Power key at the same time. Do this unit a yellow exclamation mark (!) appears on the screen. Then release those two keys and press the Search key. Use the Volume keys to highlight "Apply update.zip" on the screen and select it by pressing the Camera key. This will install the Gingerbread update.zip file. Once it it done, reboot the phone.
You can verify that your DROID X is running the official Gingerbread build by going to Settings/About Phone, and it should show the System Version 4.5.596, Android Version 2.3.3, Baseband Version BP_C_01.09.12P, and Build Number 4.5.1_57_DX5-26.
There are a lot of improvements in the Gingerbread release, which you can view here. The main advantage is the increase in overall speed and performance. Before upgrading to Gingerbread most DROID X phones would score between 1200-1300 on the Quadrant Benchmark app, but after the update the scores will be close to 1700.
If you install the Gingerbread update on your Motorola DROID X, let us know what you think about it by using the Comment section below.
Thanks to MyDroidWorld for posting the update.zip file!
1. BAMBAM (unregistered)
I received mine at 8:30am this morning. Works great. Took less then 5 minutes.
4. ltr (unregistered)
Waited all the way to midnight to get mine. So far so good. I just did a benchmark score on mine to. Close to 1750.
At least it will keep me happy for a few more months.
5. birriee (unregistered)
it really sucks, my driod X lagging before and now it's been freezing and freezing and freezing.
I have a live watch wallpaper, the second hand moves every 10 seconds and y'all know where am going w/this.
I hope there's going to be an update for this.
10. FAUguy (Posts: 77; Member since: 09 Apr 2008)
If it is freezing, then you may want to reset the phone. That usually fixes those problems.
6. bob (unregistered)
12. Sniggly (Posts: 7182; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
The update is awesome, and even fixes the little glitches that the leaked build .588 suffered, like the standard keyboard becoming unusable. My phone has been running like clockwork., very smooth and fast. As smooth as an iphone, as a matter of fact. :)
16. wisewatts (Posts: 4; Member since: 24 May 2011)
Hey checo22 the EVO 4G will get its Gingerbread this friday!! i've been waiting for it also....Can't Wait to see specs for the Proton 4G though!!
17. Rich (unregistered)
I thought it was a fantastic update! I like the new look. I have noticed my Facebook contacts birthdates were displayed just as numbers. Thanks for all the hard work people put into this!
18. Jeff (unregistered)
Notification light doesn't flash anymore. Bummer!!
20. Blkvibenc (unregistered)
My facebook pics no longer show up with my contacts. It worked before the update! So far, I don't see a fix for this!
21. Rehan (unregistered)
Everything is great about gingerbread, the only thing i m not liking is the home screen profile, fryo had better one.
23. rich (unregistered)
Hey guys. Some things didn't seem to work after my update like facebook features and dialing phone numbers. What I did was reset my DROID to factory settings using the instructions from the help app specifically for Gingerbread. It works great now! Be sure to back things up to your storage card. Hope this helps some.
24. Metalpoet Droid X (unregistered)
I updated my phone last nite to the gingerbread and i must say with sincere honesty....ITS AMAZING!!!
25. mrguinness (Posts: 2; Member since: 10 Jul 2011)
Been using 2.3.3 for 2 months now. LOVED it at first, however, the past week my typing ability has been extremely screwed up. Everytime I hit the spacebar, no matter which application i am in, the keyboard disappears, and i have to click in the active text box for it to reappear. EVERYTIME I hit the spacebar.
Sometimes, text wont show up when I type it, even though it is there when I hit send. It is slowly becoming non-functional. I am going to try to re-install the update posted here and see if that fixes it. Maybe a corrupt file? I'll repost
26. mrguinness (Posts: 2; Member since: 10 Jul 2011)
BTW, these instructions are incorrect for manual update... This is REALLY how it is done on a Droid X...
Hold down the power and home key bringing you to the ! screen. After that press the up and down key on the right side of the phone at the same time and this will bring you into factory reset mode. Then press the up and down arrow key to what you want to select and press the power key to select it.
THATS the way...
27. bonehead189 (Posts: 7; Member since: 03 Feb 2011)
Is it required to backup installed apps onto an SD card before updating to gingerbread, or will the phone itself retain them? Also, will all the screens be blank (stock looking) where you have to re-customize them? Thanks, I'm new to all this.