How to unlock developer settings on the Galaxy S4: tap seven times on the build number
- Head into the Settings menu. Samsung's done things a little differently and changed the way the settings menu looks, so you'll need to hit the "More" tab.
- Look for "About device" at the bottom. Tap it.
- Hop on down to the build number, and tap it seven times. One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. You'll get a little prompt saying you're about to unlock the developer settings. Hit that button one final time -- seven! -- and they're unlocked.
1. menny07 (Posts: 89; Member since: 13 Dec 2012)
Why do you have to unlock it in the first place?
2. ProblemSolver15 (Posts: 46; Member since: 14 Jun 2010)
Just little Easter Eggs, that's all. So people who don't know what they mean don't end up accidentally turning something on or unchecking something. Not a big deal. Just fun for people who like to say they've "cracked it open."
4. ZayZay (Posts: 533; Member since: 26 Feb 2011)
For people who work in stores, the contact transfer machine cellebrite needs the usb debugging on to tap into the phone and load and transfer contacts.
5. Larry_ThaGr81 (Posts: 293; Member since: 26 May 2011)
That does seem a bit odd because developer options is completely available within the settings menu on the Galaxy Note II.
6. cezarepc (Posts: 422; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
This works on a lot of other devices. By the way, getting my S4 today woot. :)
7. babepanda (Posts: 4; Member since: 23 Apr 2013)
I don't quite get it ? What do you mean unlock ? Like firmware unlock or as in GSM unlocked ? I thought you have to buy unlock codes ( which cost money ) to unlock the phone for every other GSM network ?
8. Onslaught (Posts: 3; Member since: 22 Apr 2013)
It's just a little easter egg hidden in the software. It doesn't mean the phone itself is unlocked.
9. cezarepc (Posts: 422; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
You'll basically just unlock the developer options which lets you configure some additional settings (e.g. USB debugging, install from unknown sources/apks, etc).