How to set a custom ringtone or notification sound on Android
- Connect your phone to your computer and mount the storage card, or grab a file explorer from the Market like ASTRO or ES File Explorer.
- Create a folder in the root directory of your SD card named "ringtones" (no quotes) or "notifications"
- Place songs or sound files in the appropriate directory
Once that is done, when you go to the "Sound" option in the Settings menu of your Android device, the song or sound file will appear in the list of options for ringtones or notification sounds. And, best of all, as long as you keep the same SD card when you upgrade your phone your ringtone follows with you!
2. aries (unregistered) posted on 26 May 2011, 07:33 0 3
WOW! I didn't know that android phones lack this simple but important feature.
3. jroc74 posted on 26 May 2011, 08:42 2 0
lol....It does have it tho
On my Droid 1 that doesnt have the updated music player I can go in the songs list, long press and Use as phone ringtone is an option...
A feature got missed, left out when the Music player got updated...thats all. But the work around thats in this article is helpful because it always on that sd card. Do it like that and you will always be able to have custom ringtones available.
4. cyborg (unregistered) posted on 26 May 2011, 09:27 2 0
Coming from Symbian, I was really surprised my SGS did not have this feature until I have done what was posted in the article. I googled it. Somehow, Symbian is still a feature packed OS but the UX really behind.
9. ahmedra2ol posted on 27 May 2011, 01:50 1 1
i am like you very much i have nokia N8 and it is a great device But i recently found that Symbian really need to be MORE and MORE improving to be able to join the race with other OSs unfortunately i will leave symbian untill then and switch for Androind that it is the best OS in the market right now (may be WP7 will be better or same in near future i hope ) so SGS2 is my destination but i hope this switch will not loss me a lot of important features like custom ringtones !!! i am really shocked.