How to root the Galaxy S5 on Verizon/AT&T, or just about any Android phone easily with the new Towelroot
0. phoneArena 16 Jun 2014, 02:24 posted on
George Hotz (geohot), the developer to whom many iOS and PS3 device users own the privilege to install custom modded software on their otherwise walled gear, is at it again, this time making the lives of Android users easier. Yesterday geohot posted his one-step solution for rooting the Samsung Galaxy S5 on Verizon - an achievement that thousands of users have been clamoring for since the launch of the S5 on Big Red...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
2. peace247 (Posts: 167; Member since: 26 Apr 2014)
Can i root moto g using this and if yes do i need to unlock the bootloader first....?
13. sprockkets (Posts: 1611; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
There is one by jcase for moto phones, but again no system write access.
4. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
What's the story with the latest kernel, though? Still screwed?
5. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4270; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
No root for the newest Motorola devices. Tried it on my Droid Mini, no luck.
From geohot in the source thread:
"Newest Moto and HTC don't currently work because /system is write protected."
It would've been nice to have a one step root for my Droid Mini. I know there are other methods, but I don't feel like putting in the effort.
7. avmitking (Posts: 15; Member since: 29 Aug 2011)
not working for my Note II build version N7100XXUFND3 dated 8th Apr, 14
8. fzacek (Posts: 2486; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
Couldn't he have come up with a better name than "towelroot"? Like, what do towels have to do with rooting an Android phone? Lol...
9. Planterz (Posts: 2000; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
I'm gonna guess it's a Douglas Adams reference. Never go anywhere without your towel.
15. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1717; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Same thing about Redsn0w and Acid ra1n. What do those have to do with jailbreak? At least towelroot has the word root in it.
14. sonyisbest (unregistered)
will it work with sony z1
19. DonShock (Posts: 18; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
It worked fine on my ATT Note3. But it was a no-go on my S3Mini.