How to restore your Motorola DROID RAZR M back to stock ICS from the JB leak
Keep in mind when doing any of this flashing, that you will lose all your apps, data, and settings on the phone, so you'll have to reinstall those.
If you are running the Jelly Bean leak (version 98.11.35) and want to revert back to stock Ice Cream Sandwich (version 77.111.10), you'll need to do the following......
- First off is to make sure you have the Motorola USB drivers installed on your PC (download here). Then the current version of RSD Lite 6.1.4 installed (from here). And lastly the full fastboot Ice Cream Sandwich recovery file 648MB (from here).
- After that, you'll run the RSD Lite program.
- Make sure the phone is off. Press-and-hold the Volume Down and Volume UP and the Power button at the same time until there is a menu shown with white text. Quickly use the Volume Down to highlight AP Fastboot and then press the Volume UP to select it. You have to do this fast, or the phone will restart.
- Once your phone is in the Fastboot menu, connect the phone to the PC.
- Select the phone XT907 listed in the first line in RSD Lite, and its information will then show in the Device Properties screen.
- Click on the "..." next to the Filename and select the ICS file you downloaded: VZW_XT907_4.0.4-7.7.1Q-144_SMQ_S1-36-10_CFC.xml.zip
- Then have it decompress the zip file and start the flashing process. Once it has completed, your Motorola DROID RAZR M has been fully restored back to original ICS software that came with the phone.
Thanks to everyone for the files and help (you know who you are)!
1. rasinhussy (Posts: 87; Member since: 28 Dec 2008)
Very nice! JB is working great for me so I'm not going back.
2. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5647; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
there's no way i'm going back but it's good to know it's fastbootable. you guys know the OTA is rumored to come out on the 18th? we might very well already have the OTA. it works perfectly.
3. dubbsix (Posts: 9; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
Beware, I have not been able to get this method to work for me on my Windows 7 x64 laptop. I get a failed to get the phone to boot to fastboot mode...even though it does boot to fastboot mode.
4. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5647; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
are you using the same machine that you used to root it?
5. dubbsix (Posts: 9; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
Well to install the jb leak, I didnt have to root my phone. But the process identified above does not work if you are on Windows 7 x64 PC.
6. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5647; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
oh, sorry, i got the articles mixed up. xD
well i have a x64 W7 Laptop that i use for everything and i've never had a problem fastbooting with RSD Lite.
7. dubbsix (Posts: 9; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
could have been my crazy laptop, or just the developer edition giving me crap. For those that do experience an issue with applying the flash, here is what i did to get mine back to ICS.
Reference this ->http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?
1. download the fastboot.zip
2. copy fastboot, the system image file (ext4) and the boot image file (boot.img) to a directory
3. Flash the system file: fasboot.exe flash system [system image file]
4. flash boot image: fastboot.exe flash boot [boot.img]
** I did have to manually go to recovery and wipe all data before the phone would boot all the way... so you may want to do that step BEFORE flashing.
Hope it helps someone :p
9. spence144db (Posts: 1; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
dubbsix: Are you saying to make two separate flashes?? one with just the system image file and the other with just the boot image file?
10. dubbsix (Posts: 9; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
Spence.. Yes you have to flash the system file and the boot file. Follow the link.
11. abbyyinjg (Posts: 7; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
newbie alert** i am having trouble getting this to work. i installed the leaked version, now i want to flash back to ICS so i can get the OTA version. I installed the driver and the RDS file which came up fine. When i open RDS when my phone is in flashboot mode, i cant see my phone in RSD.
that is issue #1, my second (probably silly) question.. do i install the ice cream sandwich file on my SD card or my computer?
any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)
12. dubbsix (Posts: 9; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
abby have you followed the instructions above? If you issue a adb devices command on your computer does it show your device serial number?
13. abbyyinjg (Posts: 7; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
yes it does. odd that i even understand what that is, but i chated with a motorola tech and i had to look that up. so does the ICS file go on phone or computer?
14. abbyyinjg (Posts: 7; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
but still, the phone will not appear on RSD lite.
15. abbyyinjg (Posts: 7; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
is there any other way to force phone to accept the OTA jelly bean? i am having some (minor) buggy issues with the leaked version..
16. dubbsix (Posts: 9; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
abby, please take a moment and read my post (#7) I did not get back to ICS by using RDS. I flashed the the 2 files directly using fastboot.
18. abbyyinjg (Posts: 7; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
thoughts on my last comment dubbsix? i am ready to give this a shot. any final advice would be much appreciated.
17. abbyyinjg (Posts: 7; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
OK. Thanks much. I am a total newbie when it comes to this. I don't want to brick my phone. I think I follow.. but imagine you were explaining this to your grandma. I am not to totall
y clear about difference between flash and flashboot. Also the part about wiping memory? I have the ext4 and the boot.IMG files. So I put just those two on my SD card (and I don't need the other files from the fast boot.zip,correct?). Then what?
19. pyro5653 (Posts: 2; Member since: 21 Mar 2013)
ics link is not working it is not taking me to the rom file can some one repost the link
20. pyro5653 (Posts: 2; Member since: 21 Mar 2013)
okay i got stuck at the "failed flashing process. 6/18 flash "cdt.bin"" now my razr starts in ap fastboot and says device is locked. in other words it boots into ap fastboot. I can still access my main boot menu with holding down the volumes button and pressing the lock button i tried recovery but it gets to the droid with "!" and it does not access recovery menu while holding down the volume buttons.
Right now my phone is bricked and use less i can still try new roms but i need one that works.
21. kath1125 (Posts: 1; Member since: 13 May 2013)
Sadly the RSD Lite 6.1.4 and ICS recovery links are not working. :( I was so excited for a minute. I want jellybean off of my phone so badly.
22. djsolnok (Posts: 1; Member since: 14 Nov 2013)
The link to the ICS recovery file is broken. Does anyone know where else to find this??!!
23. toobagas (Posts: 1; Member since: 03 Jan 2014)
download from this address --> goo.gl/hfeUKm