How to remove the Google Experience launcher on the Nexus 5 and replace it with the Nexus 4 launcher
0. phoneArena 15 Nov 2013, 21:49 posted on
Despite some of the new features that it brings to the Nexus 5, not everyone is enthralled with the Google Experience launcher on the Nexus 5 even if Google's Matias Duarte called it "the single most exciting thing for Nexus 5. If you're a big fan of Google Now, you might appreciate the ability to access information from Google Now right from your homescreen...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. oNEWorld (Posts: 140; Member since: 01 Aug 2013)
how can I get transparent navigation/soft keys on my nexus 4? sad to hear that the new update won't be including that as a feature. smdh
2. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2693; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Nova Launcher beta has added the KitKat look including transparent nav buttons.
3. oNEWorld (Posts: 140; Member since: 01 Aug 2013)
@ Michael. really? the soft keys at the bottom on my nexus 4 can be made translucent by downloading nova launcher beta?
4. imMature (Posts: 87; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
You can get the stock GEL by flashing a zip if you're on 4.4 KitKat. Assuming you don't you can still install its apk from here:
5. oNEWorld (Posts: 140; Member since: 01 Aug 2013)
Do I have to be rooted in order to do that? I prefer not messing with that aspect of android lol. If I could install it without root and directly on my phone with the apk file I will give it a try.
6. imMature (Posts: 87; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
If I'm not mistaken, you can just install the apk from the site as you are side loading any other apk. After the download is finish,
If you download it from your PHONE: Tap the downloaded notification and install it. Make sure that you've allowed the phone to install apps from unknown sources in the security settings.
If you download it from PC: Just transfer it anywhere into your phone, find apk from your phone in the folder you placed it and just install it as the instruction above..
9. oNEWorld (Posts: 140; Member since: 01 Aug 2013)
hey buddy, the Google experience launcher worked except I still don't have the transparent navigation soft keys.
10. imMature (Posts: 87; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
What android version are you running? I think it'll only works on 4.4. I'm gonna test it on 4.3 right after this and update this comment.
11. alipashang77 (Posts: 15; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
yes, the transparent keys/nav only works on 4.4 with experience launcher. I tried it with 4.3 on nexus 4 and it did not work
12. imMature (Posts: 87; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
I tested it with 4.3 Paranoid Android but couldn't even get the launcher running. Only Google Now :P I'm using the GEL on rooted 4.4 right now and all's well
13. oNEWorld (Posts: 140; Member since: 01 Aug 2013)
I am running 4.3, and GEL is working with the exception
of transparent soft keys. :(
15. imMature (Posts: 87; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
You know, you can still try the Nova Launcher beta like what Michael has said :)
8. alipashang77 (Posts: 15; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
Wait! I have the nexus 5 launcher and I have the transparent navigation and soft keys. And i'm having 4.4
7. tyger11 (Posts: 107; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
The Google Search bar being forced on every screen was a dealbreaker for me. I'm currently testing out alternative launchers.
14. oNEWorld (Posts: 140; Member since: 01 Aug 2013)
I agree, it doesn't look right when its on every screen.