How to improve Android's performance
4. livyatan (Posts: 867; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
I have no lag on my stock Note 3 after 9 months of use.
Disabled some bloat, changed the stock contacts and messaging with third party apps, and that's it.
33. joey_sfb (Posts: 4580; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
I have no lag with my Note 3 with no customization, live wallpaper and backend anti-malware running.
7. GreekGeek (Posts: 1128; Member since: 22 Mar 2014)
3. Freeze unwanted Apps and Bloatware using Titanium Backup
17. tech2 (Posts: 3101; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
+1. No need to install a custom ROM when you can make things improve just by rooting. It is also much simpler.
BTW, do you still get OTA updates if you root ?
25. Planterz (Posts: 1704; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Depends on the phone. Re-rooting might be necessary after update.
27. marbovo (Posts: 658; Member since: 16 May 2013)
I rooted my Gnexus and still got every OTA updates...up to kitkat
34. joey_sfb (Posts: 4580; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
I used to root my phone now i can get by without root.
The danger of root is roger apps can compromise your phone security and change default system files.
I don't recommend root to causal phone user.
39. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
Root gives you so many cool capabilities, though. Including one of my favorites:
10. alexvv (Posts: 150; Member since: 16 Oct 2013)
you forgot something very important: in the developers settings disable all three animation sub-categories and check the force gpu rendering (helps in 95% of cases). these are really important steps.
11. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4214; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Don't forget about enabling ART for some KitKat users.
19. GreekGeek (Posts: 1128; Member since: 22 Mar 2014)
ART doesn't work on Samsung and other brands.
It will be widely implemented on Android L though
23. Augustine (Posts: 1004; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
ART is still experimental and only runs the basic optimizations, whereas Dalvik runs the basic ones at first and then, if necessary, the aggressive ones too.
20. GreekGeek (Posts: 1128; Member since: 22 Mar 2014)
What you are saying is a total myth.
You really think Nexus devices are excused from performance issues?
Former Nexus 5 owner
13. Shino (banned) (Posts: 196; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
There are two ways:
1. If you don't have much money: Take your Android device, put it in the bin and get any WP or just Windows device, that works the way it should.
2. If you have enough money: Take your Android device, put it in the bin and get an iOS or an OS X.
15. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
First of all there is no need for downgrade. Also what OS X has to do with all that?
16. cezarepc (Posts: 674; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
Let me quote Joulukas's comment from above:
"Really - please tell me how switching to WP8 or iOS device would improve performance on my Android device?"
38. joey_sfb (Posts: 4580; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
The better way would be to take your wp8 phone, shove it in the ass turn on the vibration.
Give me your number I would help out by dialing the number. Isn't it a delightful way to make up for wp8 lack of apps. Lol!
21. gazmatic (Posts: 695; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
this is the reason why i sue wp and not android...
NO NEED FOR ALL THIS SHIIITE
problem with wp? lock then unlock your phone. problem persists? restart. problem solved.
android has 1, ONE advantage over wp...apps
thats it. name one deal breaker that is not on wp... custom roms dont count
28. Planterz (Posts: 1704; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Customization and personalization doesn't count? Openness doesn't count? Independent development doesn't count?
Enjoy your closed phone, with limited app support, and limited customization. Enjoy the fact that developers DON'T WANT to waste their time making apps for a platform with so TINY a market percentage. Enjoy your features that are months or even years behind Android and iOS. Enjoy your FUGLY interface. Enjoy scrolling, scrolling, scrolling, and scrolling to find the app you're looking for.
Yeah, Android has 1 ONE advantage over WP.
The fact that it's NOT WP!
42. GJanee (Posts: 214; Member since: 29 Jun 2011)
- we can customize both the wallpaper and lockscreen.
- independent development also exsits in this ecosystem.
- closed means more stability, deal with it.
- we don't enjoy the fact that official development projects and developers are such a..holes and ignore wp. but we can deal with it because many times independent developers create far better apps for these services than their original developers for other platforms.
- wp only has a tiny market share because people are ignorant towards the system. they immediately label it as "windows=crap", without any research whatsoever, which is just utterly dumb.
- wp had and has a sh ton of features that were a first on the market, and is keeping/stepping up the pace with the other two os's
- by fugly you mean revolutionary, that redefined the design language across both android and ios? (magazine ui, blinkfeed, material design, and the list goes on.)
- i enjoy scrolling, however, but because i'm definitely smarter than you, i simply pin my most used stuff on my start screen to access is immediately and see all the info needed on the tiles, and to find an app i wait for it... press the search button and type in 2 letters to find it instantly. pretty cool, huh?
well, i also tell you:
enjoy your stut...stut...stut...stut.... lag :D
btw: thanks captain obvious for the article! even an 8yr old know these things
43. joey_sfb (Posts: 4580; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Who will read such a long winded posting? Get to the point!!
No money for high end Android phone? Cry like a baby.
44. GJanee (Posts: 214; Member since: 29 Jun 2011)
people with brains read such long posts. clearly you're not the targeted audience. but congratulations for being this miserable.
45. joey_sfb (Posts: 4580; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Please explain why I should be misery. I have both WP8 and several high end android phones.
Speaking from actual experience wp8 is really a poor man smart phone. Always begging developer to build apps. Begging Microsoft for the long overdue WP8.1 update. Only to be completely forgotten now that unified windows is announced. Stupid bottom 5%
46. GJanee (Posts: 214; Member since: 29 Jun 2011)
you're miserable because your only damn reason to bash on my explanation is that i must be poor and don't have the money. congratulations, that's really smart.
fyi i could buy any of the highest end smartphones running android, but i don't. because i'm not that dumb to waste my money on crap. and also i don't want to buy outdated flagships every 6 months or at most annually.
why is wp8 a "poor man" smartphone? can you explain in detail? btw noone is begging for app development. the wp community has talented people who make awesome apps just as good if not far better software than their official counterparts, as i wrote above.
also, pls do mind and look up the lifecycles for wp 8 and 8.1.
and your last sentence... just made you even more pathetic than before. kudos! not wasting any more time on you kiddo.
47. joey_sfb (Posts: 4580; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Stupid is what stupid does. Endless amount of whining to people that don't care. You like to crap all over Android article and you blame me for calling you stupid.
Stick around for 2015 and we shall see how Microsoft treat their WP8 fans. How they treat their WP7 fans with promise that they will get upgraded to WP8.
Well, does a half fu*k WP7.5 ring a bell?
24. JC557 (Posts: 1254; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
I have quite a few widgets running and plenty of installed apps with no performance issues whatsoever. I did have some pesky apps that kept on running even after exiting them out but those have since been uninstalled. It takes a lot to really bog down my One M8 or Moto X.
Also the trolls don't seem to realize that iOS has moments where it bogs down or outright freezes. I also experienced some slow down on WP phones (Lumia Icon) again due to a app issue.
26. LikeMyself (Posts: 391; Member since: 23 Sep 2013)
Smartphones especially Android meant for intelligent people! In the hands of ignorant, he'll install all the junk apps which will always run in the background no matter what u do to stop! So choose wisely which apps u install! Antivirus, FB(Better use FB in browser), battery savers are the worst!
WP is for the confused people with multi color tiles everywhere,
iOS for the ones who can be geeky, but like small toys!
35. joey_sfb (Posts: 4580; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Android is most viable phone OS as brands like Xiaomi and Oppo 7 is making affordable high spec phone. RedMi Note for $130
I have use it for a week and prefer it over my Samsung Note 2. MIUI build in Security has apps permission, themes with hundreds of choices. Just need to download and apply. MIUI also occupy both less storage and ram.
Xiaomi is more customer focus than Samsung they allow you to uninstall bundled apps and does not come with third parties bloatware.
30. Gemmol (Posts: 669; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
im just thankful i do not have to do all those things yall wrote to keep my lumia 1520 smooth
40. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
WP is like Windows Desktop if you don't install any software. It runs okay for a while on a brand new device/computer, but after time passes or after you install some software, starts running like crap.
31. gigaraga (Posts: 1454; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Awkward moment when installing a new launcher makes performance worse than TouchWiz. (I dont mean TouchWiz is bad..it flies)
41. clarkjeferson (Posts: 67; Member since: 22 Dec 2013)
Using your carrier bloatware improves your phone's performance. Fact.