How to download areas for offline mode in the new Google Maps 8
0. phoneArena 08 May 2014, 06:53 posted on
Google Maps for Android has many strengths, but using its virtues for offline navigation isn't one of them, especially in a few versions before the latest 8.0 redesign. You still can't navigate with turn-by-turn directions offline in Google Maps 8, but the ability to save areas of the map for later usage is more easily accessible now, and a larger part can be downloaded with a much lower storage footprint...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
6. Super3310 (Posts: 91; Member since: 06 May 2014)
Based on my xperience nokia here maps is beter
7. Augustine (Posts: 1043; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
It's a good thing that offline maps are back. Now, if only I hadn't to rely on third-party apps to be able to navigate without a connection, as when driving in the middle of nowhere or abroad...
8. kamen (Posts: 91; Member since: 18 Jul 2011)
"Area too large" - pathetic! And that is when area is actually available. Which is even more pathetic - it is shown but for some obscure reasons is not available.
9. IliyaBeshkov (Posts: 261; Member since: 09 Jul 2012)
Why do all think that this is a new feature.. This offline feature is from 2013!
10. Augustine (Posts: 1043; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Actually, the option to save maps for offline use was an option in the menu, IIRC, before it became a sort of Easter Egg. I'm glad that it's back as an explicit option.