How to connect a USB accessory to an Android smartphone or tablet
0. phoneArena 20 Jul 2012, 02:32 posted on
With Android 3.1, Google's mobile platform added a new trick to its repertoire – USB host functionality. In plain words, that allows for Android devices to work with a broad range of USB peripherals, such as keyboards, mice, USB flash memory sticks, and even gamepads. But what about smartphones and tablets that don't have a full size USB port? Well, they still can get along well with such accessories too, with the help of an inexpensive gizmo...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. speckledapple (Posts: 892; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
I use one on my xoom for playstation games on trips. Quite a useful little tool.
2. valapsp (Posts: 552; Member since: 12 Aug 2011)
Will Nexus 7 get USB flash drive support via a software update? If I'm not making mistake right now it's possible if rooted. Anyone confirms?
This is the most important factor before buying the Nexus 7 since you don't want to pay $50 more for that extra 8gb. You can easily hook up a flash drive if it supports.
4. Croxy (Posts: 55; Member since: 06 Dec 2011)
Just leaving a comment so I can get notified if someone replies to you :D
7. Asasindude26 (Posts: 33; Member since: 25 Mar 2012)
Yeah when rooted yes :D But I have a question.... If I root my nexus 7 but don't install any custom ROMS will i recive Android OS updates from Google as I would without rooting? :) Thnx for replies
8. valapsp (Posts: 552; Member since: 12 Aug 2011)
I'm not so sure but i think you wont get the OS updates automatically since this doesn't have to do anything with custom ROMs. And this is the main obstacle preventing me from rooting.
3. rd_nest (Posts: 1575; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
If anyone has SGS3, just check this:
It's long, but you won't need anything else.
5. borganwa (Posts: 5; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
It works with all 2011 and 2012 Xperia (2011' Xperia needs root to access USB flash drives)
9. Eugenes_DIY_Den (Posts: 1; Member since: 30 Sep 2015)
A webcam would be nice so I could use my phone for remote inpection (like those systems they use for looking into sewer pipes)