How to backup your app data, texts and call logs on Android without root
The worst thing about backups is that you usually forget to backup at least one thing, and you never actually know what until it is too late. In this guide, we'll show you how to backup your app data, your texts, your call logs and even your keyboard's word predictions – some of the simplest, most essential stuff that can easily ruin your week, should they end up missing the boat.
Backing up your app data, call logs, texts and next-word predictions database
1. Step 1
2. Step 2
3. Step 3
4. Step 4
5. Step 5
6. Step 6
7. Step 7
8. Step 8
1. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 4150; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
I thought backup and restore was part of android now?
3. hassoups (Posts: 383; Member since: 06 Jun 2013)
'app data' is not part of it. it includes only contacts, settings(like saved wi-fi networks and such), and the actual apps(they're downloaded automatically).
9. Ant34 (Posts: 193; Member since: 10 Aug 2013)
I don't know about that. I just checked my Nexus 5 and there's an option to back up "app data". What I really would like is an option to back up text messages. I've always had to download an app to back up text messages to my Gmail account. I'm not sure why Google hasn't baked that into Android.
15. Alexrover2 (Posts: 1; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
for App data look on
14. elitewolverine (Posts: 2058; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
not by default no, like the s4 doesn't.
It is default on all windows phones however no need for an app...
2. nasznjoka (Posts: 360; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
yeah this article is really helpful esp to non geeks
4. hassoups (Posts: 383; Member since: 06 Jun 2013)
G cloud does all this in one step, giving you 2 gb of cloud storage free too.
5. kaikuheadhunterz (Posts: 792; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
This article is really useful. Now I don't have to constantly download my apps whenever I install a new custom ROM
6. abdane (Posts: 478; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
Wow, Really helpful ! Also helpful when switching to new phones ! you can backup apps and data from previous phone to new one ! Very useful ! Thanks PhoneArena :)
8. buccob (Posts: 1557; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
PC Companion for Xperias does this and preserve everything including app data... I'm thankful for this because I have had to factory reset a couple of times now.
10. techguyone (Posts: 114; Member since: 18 May 2013)
Seemed like a lot of bother, you could just download My Backup Pro & use that, it'll save all your data & zip it and store locally or in the cloud, proves invaluable if you need to factory reset and you want all your call logs, sms, contacts, apps etc back with a minimum of fuss. Titanium backup too does similar functions.
11. tacarat (Posts: 214; Member since: 22 Apr 2013)
Nandroid» itunes» this. I wish there were better options than a three app stack for android. I use Kies for backups on a tablet, but haven't done a wipe and restore to compare results. Anyone try the smart switch program yet?
12. kriss (Posts: 9; Member since: 16 Dec 2011)
Unfortunately does not work for me :( XP pc and Samsung Note 2 simply will not communicate :/
13. Leo_MC (Posts: 600; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
And you wonder why people prefer iPhones.
Not that - as shown in the article - Android phones are not able to backup data, it's the way they do it.