How much storage memory do you actually have in your phone?
0. phoneArena 17 Oct 2012, 09:34 posted on
There has been a brouhaha lately about the troubling trend of unibody smartphone designs that find no place for a microSD card slot for expanding the memory that the manufacturers decided to embed in there. That is why we wanted to ask you, dear readers, how much memory do you actually carry in your phone - we mean the internal storage amount that came with your handset, plus an eventual memory card placed in there...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
5. sheik (Posts: 249; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
Buy Note 2, You can have up to 178 GB!! Thats what i am waiting to buy too..
11. doejon (Posts: 323; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
me to but u can easy carry 2-3 extra storage msdcards in ur pocket :D if u want :-) thats why i love the msdcard-slot on phones.
17. Wiki_jaan (Posts: 702; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
178 or 128 coz internal 64+memory car 64 =128
38. Zahrawy (Posts: 10; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
Actually, there is already 128GB xtreme capacity MSD. So, 128 + 64 = a whooping 192GB.
39. sheik (Posts: 249; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
The galaxy note II can accept memory cards with capacity up to 64 GB only.
54. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Already have mine! =D
+ my 64GB MicroSD!
And some still claim that expandable memory is useless just coz the flagships of their fav company don't support it.
61. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
hey shut up... my nokia 3310 has seveal megabytes...
2. wendygarett (unregistered)
16gb thank you very much :)
9. wendygarett (unregistered)
Wow someone really has the 2gb device... They sure have a very happy life :D
13. eisenbricher (Posts: 971; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
As a matter of fact, there should be an option like "Less than 2 GB". I'd say, those people have real outgoing, busy life.
Not someone who keeps staring at millions of pixels and hogging up bandwidth day and night.
22. Android2627 (Posts: 28; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
Less then 2 GB would be only Nokians i Bet!
30. Ahsan (Posts: 28; Member since: 09 Jun 2011)
Nimbuzz for Symbian 1.14MB
Nimbuzz for Android, iOS 14MB
31. eisenbricher (Posts: 971; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
I'm a Nokian in 16GB category :p
But you are right to some extent.
37. XperiaUser (unregistered)
16 GB SD card + 300 Mb internel memory = Xperia Ray
46. Nadr1212 (Posts: 741; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
Shut up Wendy!! Ya know y? Well, Cuz I'm one of the people who have only 2 gigs of storage so... SHUT UP U PICKY BITCH, DON'T HATE ON 2 GIGERs!!!!!!!!!!!
49. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
hey, its not the size of your hard drive, its how u store things. :)
I have 32 gigs, and I use about 4 since most of my stuff is synced.
3. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2384; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
the question shouldnt be "how much do you carry with you" but more so "how much do you actually use?"
4. Jyakotu (Posts: 818; Member since: 12 Dec 2008)
Currently rocking the Sprint version of the Samsung GALAXY Nexus, so 32GB. I don't plan on using all of it either since, with my old phone, most of the storage came from my music. But now with Google Play Music, all my music's on the cloud. For pictures, I use 1.3MP, but the GNex doesn't take spectacular photos, but they're good enough for my social networks. And surprisingly, apps aren't taking up much space like I thought they would, especially since I have games as well. Then again, I came from an Intercept, so the GNex is a pretty HUGE upgrade.
6. bayusuputra (Posts: 941; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
I just realised that 16GB is actually enough for me and it's just nice.. But if I have to buy phones with non-expandable storage, then I will have to choose 32GB and above, "just-in-case"..
16. eisenbricher (Posts: 971; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Same here. 16 GB is enough for me. 9 GB worth mp3 music, plus around 1.5GB worth of captured images and still some space remain... My phone only takes good pics, vids are crappy. Unless someone wants to shoot/store HD vids I don't think he/she's gonna need 16GB+ and just in case I have a secondary phone with 8GB memory. I admit that comes handy at times.
45. thunder18 (Posts: 112; Member since: 06 Aug 2009)
The only problem with that thinking is I have a Galaxy S 2 from Sprint with an advertized "16GB" of internal storage. Truthfully, you only have 11.5GB available to you. 1.97GB is used for application data and the rest I'm sure is being used for system rom data and such, but if you had my phone, that would leave you with 1 GB of data remaining. Of course, you'd still have the MicroSD card slot to use if you ran out, but the storage numbers the manufacturers throw around are misleading at best. They need to start quoting user available memory in any case.
7. SkOne (Posts: 87; Member since: 02 May 2012)
32 gb sgs3 + 64 gb memory card + 74.5 gb dropbox = 170.5gb of goodness =] =] =]
33. eisenbricher (Posts: 971; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
With all that storage I really feel bad about a phone's battery life. Even if you do start watching vids frequently on your phone you end up charging it much frequently, effectively depleting the rated recharge cycles of battery unit. I had done this before and had to replace my phone's battery twice -__-
44. SkOne (Posts: 87; Member since: 02 May 2012)
i actually get about 13 hours on one full charge with moderate use 8 with heavy use
8. TheRetroReplay (Posts: 244; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
Samsung Galaxy SIII with 32gigs, I tend to put a lot of music and apps on my phone
10. McLaren (unregistered)
8GB is low-end.
24GB upper midrange.
32GB or higher = High-end.
If Any Nexus phone comes with less than 16GB,it will be a big flop cause if you have at least 5 HD games,6GB or greater will already be taken.Add to that HD videos and music,10GB or more already used up.Therefore I would prefer a dual core Krait instead of quad core Krait if LG Nexus 4 comes with at least 32 GB.
14. bohdan4ik13 (Posts: 82; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
I have around 3,5 GB and that's OK, because I have mp3-player too :)
15. phil2n (Posts: 466; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
32 is not enough for my hentai series and x art clips
18. andro. (Posts: 1936; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
I have a 32gb memory card but seeing as 64gb cards are now like 35 buckaroos on amazon etc i'll be increasing soon. 64gb for 35 bucks,in your face ifans
52. bayusuputra (Posts: 941; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
haha.. with that 35 bucks, you not only get 64GB, but you still retain that 32GB card, don't you? So yeah, extra 35 bucks for 96GB..
21. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
My tablet holds 32GB + and 8GB micro SD for my phone too. 32GB is perfect for a tablet and 16GB is perfect for a phone.
External doesn't matter much, because internal is the one using apps (except root users)
23. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
16GB internal memory on my S3 is enough for apps, but the additional 16 I have on the sd card is already full with movies.. it can't even hold a single tv series.
But I can use USB drive just like on the computer so overall I'm covered:)
24. Loubielou (Posts: 205; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Got the Samsung Galaxy S3 16gb with a 64gb micro sd card inside it,so got plently of memory on this superb phone,thats the one reason i have kept away from iPhones an Lumias
25. tedkord (Posts: 4502; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Verizon Galaxy S3 - 32gb internal plus 64gb microsdxc card. Just under 12gb left on the card, so clearly 32gb isn't enough.
27. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 801; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
GALAXY S2 16GB +32GB MicroSDHC, so around 48GB :)
Its enough, ive used up around 25GB of it, plan on loading a few more HD movies on it once i get my MHL cable, so i can use my GS2 as a portable HD movie player to my HD tv.
My next phone should have atleast 32GB built-in. I have no idea how people live with less than 20GB in their smartphone, ive got too much music and high quality movies and series to live with anything less, lol.
28. bkb01 (Posts: 43; Member since: 21 Aug 2012)
same setup with my sgs 2 16gb + 32gb microsd 2gb left for the internal and 3gb left for the 32gb..you cant have enough memory:)
53. bayusuputra (Posts: 941; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
I don't have many HD games, and I don't put movies in my less-than-4"-screen-phone.. that's how i live with less than 20GB in my phone.. I have laptop with 10.1" screen for movies and I am uninstall HD games as soon as I finished it..
the only things that hog the memory is my 100+ FLAC music files.. and I don't keep all my FLAC files in the phone, because I simply won't be able to listen to all of them.. and not a single HD movie (other than vids i take with the phone) because I won't be able to watch them all..
32. OpTiMuS_BlAcK (Posts: 411; Member since: 04 May 2012)
2GB internal with an 8GB microSD card.. will get a 16GB soon. I didn't know some android games would go over 1 GB lol
34. anirudhshirsat97 (Posts: 381; Member since: 24 May 2011)
On my Sgs2 i have 16GB internal and 32 GB external. And yes its's full to the brim with , TV shows and movies.
35. vishalvenky (Posts: 40; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
my internal itself is 32gb :P :P(Nokia N900)
36. gu3sswhoo (Posts: 18; Member since: 04 May 2012)
I have the 16gb Galaxy S3, a 64gb SDCard, & the 50gb Dropbox storage. I would not have got this phone without the SDCard slot. If the phone did not have that it would need a minimum of 32gb's of internal storage. I will not buy any phone without a SDCard slot under 32gb's of internal storage. Period!
42. Leo_MC (Posts: 495; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
Can you use 4+ GB files? Than all the space past 8 (ok, 16) GB is for nothing.
43. DontHateOnS60 (Posts: 844; Member since: 20 Apr 2009)
Razr Maxx with a 64GB FAT32 formatted card for all my movies.
47. antmiu2 (Posts: 197; Member since: 19 Jun 2011)
My phone came with ''16gb'' and a got a 32gb micro sd so that makes it 48gb total!
50. Brewski (Posts: 119; Member since: 05 Jun 2012)
8gb internal + 16gb card that came with the phone = 24.
The only reason I haven't added is more is because I'm cheap. (Although, I would like to have more space for music...)
My next phone will have 32 internal + 32 card for a total of 64 gb. Droid Razr Maxx HD or LG Optimus G.
55. kanagadeepan (Posts: 639; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
16GB Internal + 32GB MicroSD card = 48GB...
56. a22matic (Posts: 17; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
16GB internal + 64GB microsd card + whatever was given with Dropbox = my storage in my EVO LTE.
57. speckledapple (Posts: 877; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
I aim to have over 64GB of storage as I get a Galaxy Note II with internal storage at 64GB and a 64GB microSD card.
58. downphoenix (Posts: 2293; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
16GB Microsd + ~500 mb internal on my Epic.
I used to rock it with a 2GB card though.